Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
A bobcat scoop is a half of yard. Id bet the feller bid the job for 25 scoops, or he gets mulch for free.
guarantee that...even if he gets it for free he isnt making money on material, delivery, and minimal profit after paying labor

let the other guy do the job you might just get the call to fix the disaster left behind by the other guy
Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The other guy may have last years mulch left over and just wants to get rid of it??
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

WOW this customer is out of his damn mind and no your prices are not off by any means .. like many of the people on this thread before me you just have to politely turn getring his business down and walk away not worth trying to ***** yourself out .. ive had my fair share

2002 Ford F-150 (Fx4) crew cab w/ 5.4L triton
83"x18' loadmaster utility trailer with side gate and jungle jim racks
61" Scag V-Ride (2012)
52" Exmark turf tracer (2007)
36" Bunton hydro (1995)
Redmax 7001 BP blower (RH)
Redmax 8500 BP blower (RH)
Redmax 2650 string trimmer
Stihl FS80 String timmer
ECHO HC-150 Hedge trimmer
KawasakiKHDS600 hedge trimmer
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm at $825 for purchase, delivery and markup.

I'll buy the leftover material idea, but he still has to deliver and install it for $20 per CY.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have noticed with this family they are VERY cheap. I did a spring cleanup for them on a hours notice. There yard is average size about a acre and it was TERRIBLE! I hauled away 1 1/2 truck loads of sticks,leaves and grass. i mowed it, trimmed the hedges,leveled a pile of dirt, cut down some little trees trimmed a line of hedges the whole way from the house down the drive way and cleaned the flower beds. now the original bid was for mowing it and hauling off the junk. and trimming 2 little hedges and cleaning out the beds for 250$. Then i get there to do the work and "can you do this and this and this etc." The whole family is into getting ALOT for as little as possible.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg123 View Post
thats exactly how i feel. Only bad part is hes one of my regular customers cousin. But i just can't bring myself to work in the negative no matter who the customer is.
Why would you even consider working in the negative??

www.completegroundpros.com
http://www.facebook.com/CompleteGrou...leteGroundPros
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So what is a scoop? Every yards loader is going to be different sized and each operator has their own style. Some do huge heaping shovels and some shake and shake until there is practically nothing in the bucket. Then I will sometimes get stuck with a 5 yard bucket for a smaller amount and it gets ugly trying to measure 2 yards.

I think 50 a yard plus material is more than a fair price. There are far more profitable things to do with your time even mowing is more profitable than mulching.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my clients get either double shredded hardwood mulch for $25.00 per yard or the dyed mulch for $30.00 per yard. I charge about $50.00 for spreading mulch + a delivery fee witch is usually around 25.00 (i have my local nursery dump it if its over 5 yards. So if i have a 10 yard double shredded mulch job the total price is: $775.00 profit $500.00 + installing edging, pulling weeds etc..

"Keep it stupid simple"
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
So what is a scoop? Every yards loader is going to be different sized and each operator has their own style. Some do huge heaping shovels and some shake and shake until there is practically nothing in the bucket. Then I will sometimes get stuck with a 5 yard bucket for a smaller amount and it gets ugly trying to measure 2 yards.

I think 50 a yard plus material is more than a fair price. There are far more profitable things to do with your time even mowing is more profitable than mulching.
I do quite abit of mulch and pine straw work in Janurary and Feburary, once the everything is growing I dont have time to do it.

I just lost a Pine straw job I quoted it a 1.50$ per bail to deliever and install, the customer already paid for the straw. He said the last guy did it cheaper, I said no thanks. The job was 200 bails, my truck will hold 80 unless I leave the mower out. So 3 trips, and install the straw Id likley profit 220$, Id do it this time of year for that even though it would be hard to get it all done in 1 day, but for a dollar a bail Id make 120$ I rather stay home.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg123 View Post
I have noticed with this family they are VERY cheap. I did a spring cleanup for them on a hours notice. There yard is average size about a acre and it was TERRIBLE! I hauled away 1 1/2 truck loads of sticks,leaves and grass. i mowed it, trimmed the hedges,leveled a pile of dirt, cut down some little trees trimmed a line of hedges the whole way from the house down the drive way and cleaned the flower beds. now the original bid was for mowing it and hauling off the junk. and trimming 2 little hedges and cleaning out the beds for 250$. Then i get there to do the work and "can you do this and this and this etc." The whole family is into getting ALOT for as little as possible.
That's a good number to add to your blocked list. Let the competition lose their butts to him. Don't feel the least bit bad about it either.
Posted via Mobile Device