Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I contacted my rep at Toro when I noticed they had a new number for the Grandstands.
I pressed him for a explanation but got none. IMO 10 micron is awful fine for a suction system
Between thrust brg and input brg failures, those pumps don't need any help in the way of
cavitation.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I own a first generation Exmark Lazer Z and a Dixie Chopper Classic and I read on here somewhere that they were using the same filter for the Dixie as they were the Exmarks.
You are prolly referring to a post I did a few weeks ago on Stens hydro filters..
I used the Stens hydro filters for about 10 years on Dixie's and Exmarks ..only after they were out of warranty..
I never had any issues using their 10 micron filters ...and prolly used about 100 of them every year...
The newer Exmarks have changed their fluid and filter requirements...though I haven't worked on any of them to know the difference..

Stay away from the plain white hydrofilters with no writing on them...they plug up..
I also noticed problems with the Dealers Choice hydro filters...some didn't want to prefill..
Pour fluid in them and a. Half hour later..they still hadn't absorbed the fluid...I don't trust those filters..
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fluid requirements have only received an addition. Mobil 1 is still an alternative, though
the "OEM" fluid seem to hold it's viscosity longer, base on using it for2-3 yrs. Mobil one will thicken. The OEM does not. All the more reason to use a coarser media in the filter. But don't for one minute think the OEM's don't throw knuckleballs every so often to keep customers on their heels. This thread is proof of that.
The lesson is, filter are not all created equal. Anyone who believes that is a fool. MOST aftermarket filters
have one big thing going for them. Big profit margins for the seller.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
The fluid requirements have only received an addition. Mobil 1 is still an alternative, though
the "OEM" fluid seem to hold it's viscosity longer, base on using it for2-3 yrs. Mobil one will thicken. The OEM does not. All the more reason to use a coarser media in the filter. But don't for one minute think the OEM's don't throw knuckleballs every so often to keep customers on their heels. This thread is proof of that.
The lesson is, filter are not all created equal. Anyone who believes that is a fool. MOST aftermarket filters
have one big thing going for them. Big profit margins for the seller.
You got that right. Local Exmark dealer charges for oem parts and you get a Rotary part.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Just curious, where are you finding specs on what micron the 1-633750 is? There is nothing in the descriptions of that particular part from Toro in parts lookup or ordering.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...item2c69ebff74

There are specs listed at the bottom of the page, 10 micron, 18-22 psi pressure relief valve, no drain, 3/4-16 threads, ...

I realize this may not be the best source of specs, but one of the places I found. The words say "OEM ... not aftermarket ..."

I have used this Toro filter with my Exmark Viking, with Mobil 1 15W-50 for many, many years. It gets changed once per year. I have also used an Exmark filter for some replacements, no problems.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...item2c69ebff74

There are specs listed at the bottom of the page, 10 micron, 18-22 psi pressure relief valve, no drain, 3/4-16 threads, ...

I realize this may not be the best source of specs, but one of the places I found. The words say "OEM ... not aftermarket ..."

I have used this Toro filter with my Exmark Viking, with Mobil 1 15W-50 for many, many years. It gets changed once per year. I have also used an Exmark filter for some replacements, no problems.
That whole thing looks copied and pasted from Stens. So yah, not a good source of info. Probably correct for the Stens filter but they have all the toro/Exmark numbers that people are saying some are 10 and some are 25.

http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=B559251C0E1A
Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You are prolly referring to a post I did a few weeks ago on Stens hydro filters..
I used the Stens hydro filters for about 10 years on Dixie's and Exmarks ..only after they were out of warranty..
I never had any issues using their 10 micron filters ...and prolly used about 100 of them every year...
The newer Exmarks have changed their fluid and filter requirements...though I haven't worked on any of them to know the difference..

Stay away from the plain white hydrofilters with no writing on them...they plug up..
I also noticed problems with the Dealers Choice hydro filters...some didn't want to prefill..
Pour fluid in them and a. Half hour later..they still hadn't absorbed the fluid...I don't trust those filters..
Yeah it was your post I was referencing. I was just ordering some hydro filters for my Dixie and will use oem until out or warranty.

Dixie filters are 40 micron part # 68140. Was looking for the best deal I could get on filters and see a lot of sellers advertising the Hydro-Gear and Stens filters as direct OEM replacements (these are the 10 micron filters). One seller is even stating "This is OEM parts, NOT aftermarket.". I know my Dixie didn't come with that filter nor did my Exmark.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Yeah it was your post I was referencing. I was just ordering some hydro filters for my Dixie and will use oem until out or warranty.

Dixie filters are 40 micron part # 68140. Was looking for the best deal I could get on filters and see a lot of sellers advertising the Hydro-Gear and Stens filters as direct OEM replacements (these are the 10 micron filters). One seller is even stating "This is OEM parts, NOT aftermarket.". I know my Dixie didn't come with that filter nor did my Exmark.
They might have come out of the same factory though. Most of the OEMs source from the same places are the aftermarkets. Like Kohler who went to India on their filters and Stens still comes from the US. Sometimes they change so much they don't even list a country of origin on them anymore.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler filter have been made in the US for about 2 yrs now. Seems the 12 yr olds making them in India had a problem with the quality of their work
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe some of them went back. There was a booth at GIE for the last couple years from some place in India and they had branded filters from Kohler, Briggs, Generac, and Kawasaki on the table. I googled and came up with a place called Elofic. They had all those brands listed on their website. Maybe fill ins?