Register free!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Armada Broadcast Mode

I've recently received a few calls about using broadcast mode on the Armada pro-800. Most of them were from pro-800 owners that haven't been having much luck using the induction mode to trace sprinkler wire paths.

Similar to locating a valve, the pro-800 broadcast mode is a two step process.

1) Place the transmitter on the ground and open the case like a book. Turn the transmitter on and select "BROADCAST". Turn the receiver on and select "BROADCAST". Walk20-25 feet away from the transmitter and begin walking in a circle or semi-circle around the transmitter, any null you pick up should be a potential conductor or target and should mark them.

2) Now that you've marked you're potential targets, pick one and set the transmitter directly over it and inline with the direction you think it may travel. Turn the transmitter on and close the lid, placing the transmitter lengthwise (parallel to the conductor) and walk a few feet from the transmitter before turning the receiver on and in broadcast. It's possible to locate much closer than the manual says you can when the transmitter is positioned this way, let me explain.

there are a couple of things that users may argue about the statements I've made but I've been successfully using the pro-800 for a long time in Broadcast as well as direct connect.

Broadcast mode uses a 175k frequency for induction, the signal is placed on any parallel conductor without direct connection. when the transmitter is placed flat on the ground the induction antenna is parallel with the earth and placed such, the signal emits from the transmitter in a 360 degree circle rom the transmitter. This allows the signal to attach itself to any and all parallel conductors.

When the transmitter is closed and placed on its spine the antenna is perpendicular to the earth and although it still emits a signal in a 360 degree circle it will only attach itself to conductors directly (or close to directly) underneath the transmitter. It's easy enough to figure out how to use the pro-800 in broadcast using the information I've provided here.

Another point that I've had disagreements over is using the transmitter with the case closed. The transmitter comes equipped with a deadman switch to prevent the transmitter from being put away accidently with the unit turned on.

In order to bypass this issue I've removed one screw from the deadman switch and simply rotate the switch 90 degrees allowing the unit to be turned on while the lid is closed and locked. For the record, if you alter the deadman switch and your batteries are always dead, don't grump at me or Armada as they had nothing to do with this and I'm gonna blame it on Boots!

pic 1 - transmitter in open position
pic 2 - deadman switch in factory position
pic 3 - deadman switch in alternate position
pic 4 - transmitter closed and in induction position
Attached Images

Last edited by 1idejim; 09-20-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats pretty cool, i wish my 521 had broadcast

will broadcast usually provide as near as good a signal as direct connect?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
thats pretty cool, i wish my 521 had broadcast

will broadcast usually provide as near as good a signal as direct connect?
I've found valves using broadcast Rhett. Usually broadcast is used as a sweeping aid for damage prevention but by using the method that I described one may find and follow mainlines and power lines with a pretty fair degree of accuracy. You have to realize that targets are pretty hard to identify using broadcast and I would not advise broadcast as a means of damage prevention avoidance alone.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Found this today http://armadatech.com
Worked well on my phone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim I saw a Pro-49 in there!! I have Armada's multi-meter and Pro-48 plus the Pro-800. I know you concentrate on locating. But I had a question. When I get to a customers house and break out the Pro-48 (for testing) I charge them for that tool. My reasoning is that is provides many answers quick from the onset which doesn't cost them labor. Do you agree?
Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinDetroit View Post
Jim I saw a Pro-49 in there!! I have Armada's multi-meter and Pro-48 plus the Pro-800. I know you concentrate on locating. But I had a question. When I get to a customers house and break out the Pro-48 (for testing) I charge them for that tool. My reasoning is that is provides many answers quick from the onset which doesn't cost them labor. Do you agree?
If anything just raise your rate to equate your charge of this fee and hide this equipment fee into services

I say no , in my opinion . This should be a tool you use for no charge . That's like charging extra for the filter of a nozzle .I feel you are setting your bar rather low, your better than that! Not to put you down , but this tool simply separates you from a lawn care guys first year attempting to fix sprinklers.

For one , the device doesn't cost much .
For two , anyone can use it . Give it to your homeowner to diagnose it for you real quick while you fix a broken head.

Yes it provides you with very quick basic answers
It takes skill, experience and knowledge to operate the multimeter that tells you real results and know what to do with the information its telling, using a locator, accoustical, ground fault locators, jims TDR. Something that someone actually specializes in with expensive equipment should have an equipment fee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by mitchgo; 09-26-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinDetroit View Post
Having the right equipment and experience justifies a higher rate, period.

I'm in a different category Jay, I don't charge hourly or for equipment. I charge for results, the client is paying me for my knowledge not my tools. Having the right locating and diagnostic tools just makes it easier for me to produce the right results.

There are people in my area that charge for their travel time, one hour minimum show up fee, locator and tool rental, analysis fee and locating fee.

My fee seems high at first, but there's always my guaranty that I produce or walk away. It's a no-brainer to me
Old 09-27-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the first half of this video Bruce talks about locating cables using broadcast mode, starting about 3:37 Bruce goes into tracing irrigation wiring using broadcast.

I have my own personal thoughts about how to use locators in various modes and configurations but I like what I am seeing here , he explains the concept well.

Armada is doing a pretty damned good job in education IMHO. Bruce and the gang are focusing on the beginner, maybe I should get a little more serious about picking up where they leave off?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
If anything just raise your rate to equate your charge of this fee and hide this equipment fee into services

I say no , in my opinion . This should be a tool you use for no charge . That's like charging extra for the filter of a nozzle .I feel you are setting your bar rather low, your better than that! Not to put you down , but this tool simply separates you from a lawn care guys first year attempting to fix sprinklers.

For one , the device doesn't cost much .
For two , anyone can use it . Give it to your homeowner to diagnose it for you real quick while you fix a broken head.

Yes it provides you with very quick basic answers
It takes skill, experience and knowledge to operate the multimeter that tells you real results and know what to do with the information its telling, using a locator, accoustical, ground fault locators, jims TDR. Something that someone actually specializes in with expensive equipment should have an equipment fee.
Posted via Mobile Device
I appreciate the reply. No worries about offending me. I like to receive input good or bad. The company I work for charges a fee for use of the locators. An hourly rate on top of the labor rate. And they said I should charge for the use of the Pro-48.

I am one of the only ones where I work who has, a decent locator (thanks to Jim's input), and I have a few of Armada's other tools too. For some reason the guys I work with prefer the greenlee locators.

I have always preferred Armada. Maybe its because they were blocks away from me years ago when I had my own company and were always a big help. They came out to my job site once to help me locate a valve I could NOT find. I always appreciate the input
Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Having the right equipment and experience justifies a higher rate, period.

I'm in a different category Jay, I don't charge hourly or for equipment. I charge for results, the client is paying me for my knowledge not my tools. Having the right locating and diagnostic tools just makes it easier for me to produce the right results.

There are people in my area that charge for their travel time, one hour minimum show up fee, locator and tool rental, analysis fee and locating fee.

My fee seems high at first, but there's always my guaranty that I produce or walk away. It's a no-brainer to me
I never thought of it that way Jim since I am working for another company. When I had my own company (before my divorce) we were a higher rate then most. However, as you said we got results. I guess my mode of thinking has changed since I do not have my own company anymore...