Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldnt sleep at a time like that.

I do know that i can make the rod point any way that i like.

The most difficult part was trying to figure out if it was actually working, or if my subconcious was tired of holding marking flags and repeatedly stepping over the schedule 40 pipe that i laid on the floor in my living room.

The angle at which the vertical rod is held, and gravity: proportionally amplified by the length of the horizontal section of rod.

So there you have it, its likely i'll have an extention cord on the floor tonight...
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
I couldnt sleep at a time like that.

I do know that i can make the rod point any way that i like.

The most difficult part was trying to figure out if it was actually working, or if my subconcious was tired of holding marking flags and repeatedly stepping over the schedule 40 pipe that i laid on the floor in my living room.

The angle at which the vertical rod is held, and gravity: proportionally amplified by the length of the horizontal section of rod.

So there you have it, its likely i'll have an extention cord on the floor tonight...
The field in which i was doing the demo in has 0 buried influences. Basically 40 acres of perfect practice property.

Laying pipe and/or wire on the living room floor ain't gonna give you the same effect Rhett.

As i told Grassman, nobody knows where their utilities are buried precisely. Even when you can locate a conductor with a locator, there are usually some nearby influences that will throw the locate off target a little bit. You also have to consider that the wire path is not taut and straight and that you can't see how the voodoo sticks react in relation to the conductor.

There is a definate advantage to practicing in controlled situations. I would suggest to anyone beginning to locate, using a new or different locator or trying a new method or technique, to set up a practice field. Practice til they feel comfortable before trying to locate on a job site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
The field in which i was doing the demo in has 0 buried influences. Basically 40 acres of perfect practice property.

Laying pipe and/or wire on the living room floor ain't gonna give you the same effect Rhett.

As i told Grassman, nobody knows where their utilities are buried precisely. Even when you can locate a conductor with a locator, there are usually some nearby influences that will throw the locate off target a little bit. You also have to consider that the wire path is not taut and straight and that you can't see how the voodoo sticks react in relation to the conductor.

There is a definate advantage to practicing in controlled situations. I would suggest to anyone beginning to locate, using a new or different locator or trying a new method or technique, to set up a practice field. Practice til they feel comfortable before trying to locate on a job site.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree

Reminds me of a fortune cookie paper i once read: "The man with headphones answers no questions."

And when the sound is all the same on a 1 to 10 needle scale:
"A dialed-in 5 can lead you to a 6, but a maxed out 10 cannot show you the 11"
and " A needle is sharper than headphones "

_____

oh,

I tried the dowsing rods outside the house today...

the bad part is the neighbors have confirmation that im crazy,

the good part is, for reasons that i can honestly say i am not sure of, the rods lined up too often to not be tested again.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Seeing dowsing being put to work like this is refreshing. This is where it began, with real needs like locating water, pipes and other things for survival. Thanks for sharing this video, I'd be interested in seeing more dowsing demonstrations on things like finding water, lawn care etc.
Best Wishes!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowser View Post
Seeing dowsing being put to work like this is refreshing. This is where it began, with real needs like locating water, pipes and other things for survival. Thanks for sharing this video, I'd be interested in seeing more dowsing demonstrations on things like finding water, lawn care etc.
Best Wishes!
I'm just learning to dowse water. I have been dowsing pre-located spots and the Y-branch has been working well for me.

Thanks and i will post more later this year i hope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can't use them to find customers, can you?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
You can't use them to find customers, can you?
Or my doggone coffee cup either
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they will find customers, and coffee cups. though a strong breeze can make locating these more difficult.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's what i do
Posted via Mobile Device