Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

waxing new mowers

Does anyone wax their new mowers before using? Just curious what kind of wax and will it help keep the grass and stuff from sticking to the outside deck. I was wondering if it would make the paint last longer. Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

It would. Collinite is about as durable a wax as there is. Usually have to order that online.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have tons of Mothers products around. I use it on my personal vehicles too. Its a decent line at a good price. Products for just about everything. I would just use the spray wax to get in the nooks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Here you go. You really can't beat Collinite 476 in terms Of durability.
http://www.collinite.com/automotive-...oat-paste-wax/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never done that, A bath at the end of the week usually keeps it nice in my case

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the topside, maybe, if you are that anal about your mowers... But under the deck? there's NOTHING in the world that will stay on the paint/metal long enough to matter in the environment under there. It only takes maybe 25 hours of use before the powder coat starts to wear through and after a couple hundred hours usually there's no paint or powder coat left under a deck at all. Pretty sure a coat of car wax isn't going to last for more than mowing a couple lawns, at best...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah not worried about under deck just the outside paint. My father just bought my old Jd , he waxed it up and it looks just like new. I could not believe how well it came out.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I always laugh at the washing and waxing mowers threads.

my equipment is lucky to see rain water, let alone actually washing it or waxing. occasionally I'll run the blower over it but that's about it. I've never washed a mower. not once a week, once a month or even once a year.

like I said the only time it sees water is if it starts raining and I'm actually mowing with it. plenty of parts on a mower that water isn't good for. it's my personal belief and experience a mower will last longer the less water they see. they are definitely meant to be dirty, not look showroom new after time spent in the field.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I totally agree on washing equipment. Water and bearings, bushings, electrical components, etc don't mix. I've spent hours on a sunday washing mowers only to be greeted with a seized idler pulley monday morning. I do blow my stuff off with the air hose on a regular basis though, whem doing blades generally, if it's necessary...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I totally agree on washing equipment. Water and bearings, bushings, electrical components, etc don't mix. I've spent hours on a sunday washing mowers only to be greeted with a seized idler pulley monday morning. I do blow my stuff off with the air hose on a regular basis though, whem doing blades generally, if it's necessary...
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah I could be a little better about blowing things off on a more regular basis. I do clean the air in take on a weekly basis but that's about it. the rest of the mower gets a blower treatment when I think about it. which isn't often.

mowers are meant to do a job not look pretty.

I know some think it shows you take care of your equipment when they look all shinny and new. but I feel it sends a different message. the message of I'm not busy and have so much free time to make my equipment shinny and new looking.

personally I'd question hiring a guy who has equipment that looks shinny and new vs a guy with equipment that's been used. I know there's a chance the equipment IS new. but I'm not stupid. I can tell the difference between equipment that IS new and equipment that's old but been washed and waxed to death.