Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I've never washed and waxed a mower but if I chose to it would take me 5-10 minutes. Noone is going to question hiring a guy with a waxed mower. It's completely irrelevant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree cleaning of your mowers need to be done occasionally but who wants to spend more time with your equipment on the weekends then u have to....other then blade changes...oil changes etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod78 View Post
I've never washed and waxed a mower but if I chose to it would take me 5-10 minutes. Noone is going to question hiring a guy with a waxed mower. It's completely irrelevant.
Posted via Mobile Device
uh so I'm no one huh?

I most certainly would question hiring a guy with a waxed mower.

I always try to treat clients like I would want to be treated. I always operate with the same expectations I personally would have of a lawn service, servicing my lawn.

I'm much more likely to hire the guy who looks like he keeps busy servicing properties instead of the one who looks like he has too much time on his hands washing and waxing his equipment.

but that's just me, I'm no one.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When the mower is brand new, I wax. After waxing, the grass is easier to blow off. When you get a new mower run your finger over the paint, wax it, then do the same, amazing difference. Mower takes about ten minutes to wax, and you are going to spend that much time looking at it when its new, might as well be waxing while looking.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So by some peoples accounting, the filthier you and your equipment are the more successful you must be.

Got it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Never done that, A bath at the end of the week usually keeps it nice in my case
That is what we do....iiiiiiissssssh I do not even wax my Cadillac or Harley...
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
When the mower is brand new, I wax. After waxing, the grass is easier to blow off. When you get a new mower run your finger over the paint, wax it, then do the same, amazing difference. Mower takes about ten minutes to wax, and you are going to spend that much time looking at it when its new, might as well be waxing while looking.
I usually take my mower straight from the dealer to the field to mow. no time to look at it or wax it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So by some peoples accounting, the filthier you and your equipment are the more successful you must be.

Got it.
Posted via Mobile Device
not exactly. not my words any way. but my opinion of those who have the time to wash and wax equipment on a regular basis must not be busy enough working in the field.

I'm in the field 5-6 days a week. the last thing I wanna do on my day off is wash and wax my equipment.

if I called for an estimate and the guy pulled up with a 2008 exmark tthp that was showroom shinny I'd assume he clearly has time to keep it that way. why does he have so much down time. what's wrong with his service that he's not busier. maybe I don't want to hire him.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never waxed my equipment but I do wash everything once per week. Also clean under my decks at the same time. I still have equipment with over 3000 hours that looks great. All the mechanics out there know what its like to work on dirty equipment. I have always been a maintenace freek as well.

I think customers view clean equipment as reliable equipment. But we all know thats not always the case.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

could be.....I shouldn't assume my view of clean equipment IS everyone else's. but when running my business I do try to use my own thoughts to guide me. what would I expect if hiring a lawn service. what is my perspective when I see there rigs.

everyone is different and it's a good thing too. how boring would the world be if we were all the same.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
uh so I'm no one huh?

I most certainly would question hiring a guy with a waxed mower.

I always try to treat clients like I would want to be treated. I always operate with the same expectations I personally would have of a lawn service, servicing my lawn.

I'm much more likely to hire the guy who looks like he keeps busy servicing properties instead of the one who looks like he has too much time on his hands washing and waxing his equipment.

but that's just me, I'm no one.
Treating a client with respect and caring for their lawn as you would want someone caring for yours has nothing to do with how clean a mower is or if a guy chooses to wax it. You're posting on an Internet message board. Should your clients find out about that would it be fair for them to assume you suck at lawncare and have too much free time on your hands? I don't think it would be anymore fair than looking at a shiny mower and making the same assumptions.
Posted via Mobile Device