Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Older John Deere Crank Deck Model #

I have had this mower for quite a while now, I really like it. The deck on it is the predecessor to the 7 iron deck of today. It cuts beautiful and stripes really nice. I want to get a bagger for it this spring either a accelerator or a grass gobbler. In order to get the correct brackets or to even see if they have a model for me I need a model number for my mower. Image for reference

This is what I have found in my searching
The deck plate is stamped with "38 comm mow"
Some people have called it a GX1320, but that turns up nothing in the JD parts catalog.
If you search 38 in the catalog, you will come across the listing of the parts with diagrams and such.
I found a page with models for the manuals for the machine
THISis the owners manual for my machine

I have emailed John Deere just now and posted a message on their facebook page. I messaged the grass gobbler and accelerator reps to see what they know, I am dying to finally find information on this mower. I am sure someone on here is a JD salesman in a past life or something that could lead me in the right direction! Thanks guys!

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know no one replied, but I figured I would update any new information for anyone in the future looking for information on this.
To find the machine in the JD parts catalog search "38" without quotes.
One rep I talked to told me this was a 3814 model being a 38" and 14hp but that lead no where.
Another rep I talked to said the warranty showed this being a 14hp model, but that also leads no where.
My serial number is gx1320x021983
Manufactured in '92
I am waiting replies on any other information and will update as I find it. I am dying to get a bagger for this machine for the upcoming season to help compensate with the spring growth.

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at your serial number. The guy who said it was a 1320 was correct.

gx1320x021983
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes an no, the warranty shows it to be a 14hp which is wrong and gx1320 doesn't bring anything up in the parts list
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of engine is on it, and what HP?

If it is different from what is should have on it, it could have been repowered at somepoint. It is an older unit after all.

You won't get anything on Deere's site on it other than what you have because it is so out of date. They only keep manuals online for so long, then after that you have to order it from them by the part number in front of it in your link. Even looking up parts is all but impossible after enough time has gone by. You can give the serial number to a good dealer and they can look up whatever you need for it though. A lot of them are juust too lazy or stupid to find things sometimes. If it isn't right there easy to find, they'll tell you they can't help. Been there, done that too many times now.

I've owned a ton of JD's, trust me the serial number is telling you which model it was when it left the factory.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What kind of engine is on it, and what HP?

If it is different from what is should have on it, it could have been repowered at somepoint. It is an older unit after all.

You won't get anything on Deere's site on it other than what you have because it is so out of date. They only keep manuals online for so long, then after that you have to order it from them by the part number in front of it in your link. Even looking up parts is all but impossible after enough time has gone by. You can give the serial number to a good dealer and they can look up whatever you need for it though. A lot of them are juust too lazy or stupid to find things sometimes. If it isn't right there easy to find, they'll tell you they can't help. Been there, done that too many times now.

I've owned a ton of JD's, trust me the serial number is telling you which model it was when it left the factory.
some more information
The catalog number for this machine is 2316 for sure,
The plate that gives the serial is riveted to the deck so being repowered wouldn't affect that either, although it is the original engine according to the original owner I bought it from

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was getting at. The data plate that has the serial number is part of the mower, not the engine, and it has the 1320 in it which tells you that's the model. That's also why I said it might have been repowered- if it didn't have the brand or HP engine that it should have (14 HP Kawi).

A catalog # is not necessarily (or even normally) the model number, especially when it comes to Deere. Believe me or don't, but after all these years, and 20 or more machines of theirs in my ownership, I have a pretty good understanding of them now.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It still has the K series 14hp kawi motor they came with, so either its an exact swap or original motor. I am looking to get a part catalog off ebay or possibly a picture of one because I am hoping it has the model # on there. Its a stretch

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can order the parts catalog from Deere, but you don't get to see the pic until you receive the catalog. Since it is an older machine, you can't peruse them on their site anymore. I have seen several of them on craigslist here over the winter.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No picture in this link, but notice the serial number-

http://www.jdequipment.com/search-us...%5B1340172%5D/

There's manual for sale in this link-

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...+mower+38+cut+

Here ya go. Right here on LS a couple years ago-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=313500