Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker MT Problem

When I first arrived at my last property for today, I engaged my blades and everything sounded fine and about 10 minutes later, the blades started to sound like they were running at about 85% speed and the speed slowly decreased as if I were cutting through field grass and bogging it down but I wasn't. The cut looked fine but by the time I finished, the blades sounded like they were running at 70% or less. I just had it tuned up and serviced so I don't know what's going on. Its a 2000 Walker MT with 423 hours on it and even the mechanics told me they have never seen a Walker in as good of shape as mine especially for its age.

If anyone has had this problem or knows Walker's, pleases feel free to comment. I don't want to have to take it back to the shop already.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know much about that specific mower but is sounds like the electric clutch is slipping possibly worn out our needs adjustment. Is it draging the engine down as well?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it drags the engine down a little but barely. I just had the electrical wiring looked over though because I previously had some electrical issues
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The clutch may be working but if the clutch plates are worn they will slip and wouldn't be spotted during an electrical diagnosis because its more of a mechanical problem. Is the engine bogging down without the blades engaged? If not then it could be something with the deck. A way to check this is to remove the belt and give everything a turn by hand and see if it spins easily.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

True. No, the engine runs perfectly. I'll check out the deck to see if everything is ok.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Scapes View Post
True. No, the engine runs perfectly. I'll check out the deck to see if everything is ok.
Check your shear pin on the center box where the driveshaft connects. It is the solid pin. I have seen plenty of people think that there was a problem with the clutch only to find that the pin was shot.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what engine does that machine have? and I m pretty sure there is no electric clutch on that mower--
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is no clutch on this model so we can rule that out. I have that happen and the governor need adjustment.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
what engine does that machine have? and I m pretty sure there is no electric clutch on that mower--
SD is correct. The Walker model MC has the electric clutch.
The MT pto is activated via the lever on the right side of the machine.
If it is a MT or an MC, I think the pin should be checked.

Eric

Last edited by ericg; 02-25-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Text
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we had this happen to us on our 2008 MTGHS 26 EFI and come to find out there was a short in the ignition wiring and we were only running on one cylinder--particularly when loaded (ie blades on)

the wires were rubbing funny on the frame and shorting out on the inside cylinder...this was a recall issue and they repaired it for me at no charge--and btw with no blades on our engine sounded like it ran perfectly. If it isn't wiring check the governor. It has been our experience that when the shear pins go there is no middle ground.