Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New site, feedback welcome.

Just went live on a website a local designer built for us. Coming off of winter we didnt have much money to put into it. It was built for a very reasonable rate and im pretty happy with the way it turned out. Check it out, let me know what you think.
www.amazingbladeslawncare.com

96 gmc 2500
16ft PJ utility trailer 2009
2011 Snapper 200xt 61"
Great Dane Chariot 52"
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My overall impression is that I hope you and I have the same definition of "reasonable rate". An Artisteer template-created Joomla site is an interesting choice for a web developer to use.

A couple of thoughts:

- The header image could use some serious brightening. Combining the darkness of that, to the hazy greens that are used for the backgrounds, it just doesn't in any way engage me.

- Not sure if that's your actual logo (trucks, business cards, etc), or a web-only logo, but the massive offset given to the dropshadow on "Lawn Care" looks distorted, rather than offset.

- The Meta Keyword tag is a waste of time, which the web guy should know, but 4,000+ characters of it is probably more of a hindrance than not, given the way the tag is used by some engines (Bing). As I look through the keywords, and your web developer was the one responsible for him, I seriously question their knowledge and skills as they seem to have put more effort in to that than any single aspect of your site.

Do you do any of the following? online landscape design, organic lawn maintenance, true green, lawn mowers, lawn mower service, landscape lighting design

- "Request a Free Quote" and "Contact Us" are essentially redundant, menu-filler. The only difference between the two full pages seems to be the "describe the work you want done" field.

- There is no engaging, call to action that sells your company or any particular service. Header, footer, sidebar, anywhere.

- The footer is 50/50 useful to your company and the developer's as half of the content is touting his work, not your own.

- The Services Offered page needs some serious depth added. What is overseeding? Why do I need aeration? Dirtwork? Hydroseed? Who needs Hydroseed? Sell me on why I need those services.

- In looking at the content to code ratio, which is very, very low, there are infinitely more keywords stuffed in to the meta keywords tag than there is actual content found on the entire site.

- It's easier to see where you do business by looking at your web guy's link than it is anywhere on the site. Give people, and search engines, a way to know where you are, where you service, and what you do.

- Read up on basic SEO as they didn't do much. There are links to Google and seomoz's in older reviews. The previous reviews would also be of help to you. The supremely important TITLE tag is wasted with "Home" or "Services Offered".

- add context to the images in the galleries. without that, the search engines don't know what you have.

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
My overall impression is that I hope you and I have the same definition of "reasonable rate". An Artisteer template-created Joomla site is an interesting choice for a web developer to use.

A couple of thoughts:

- The header image could use some serious brightening. Combining the darkness of that, to the hazy greens that are used for the backgrounds, it just doesn't in any way engage me.

- Not sure if that's your actual logo (trucks, business cards, etc), or a web-only logo, but the massive offset given to the dropshadow on "Lawn Care" looks distorted, rather than offset.

- The Meta Keyword tag is a waste of time, which the web guy should know, but 4,000+ characters of it is probably more of a hindrance than not, given the way the tag is used by some engines (Bing). As I look through the keywords, and your web developer was the one responsible for him, I seriously question their knowledge and skills as they seem to have put more effort in to that than any single aspect of your site.

Do you do any of the following? online landscape design, organic lawn maintenance, true green, lawn mowers, lawn mower service, landscape lighting design

- "Request a Free Quote" and "Contact Us" are essentially redundant, menu-filler. The only difference between the two full pages seems to be the "describe the work you want done" field.

- There is no engaging, call to action that sells your company or any particular service. Header, footer, sidebar, anywhere.

- The footer is 50/50 useful to your company and the developer's as half of the content is touting his work, not your own.

- The Services Offered page needs some serious depth added. What is overseeding? Why do I need aeration? Dirtwork? Hydroseed? Who needs Hydroseed? Sell me on why I need those services.

- In looking at the content to code ratio, which is very, very low, there are infinitely more keywords stuffed in to the meta keywords tag than there is actual content found on the entire site.

- It's easier to see where you do business by looking at your web guy's link than it is anywhere on the site. Give people, and search engines, a way to know where you are, where you service, and what you do.

- Read up on basic SEO as they didn't do much. There are links to Google and seomoz's in older reviews. The previous reviews would also be of help to you. The supremely important TITLE tag is wasted with "Home" or "Services Offered".

- add context to the images in the galleries. without that, the search engines don't know what you have.
Great information. I really appreciate the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for because I do not know much about web design. That gives me info i need to run by the designer. Price was less than 400$. Just wanted something on the web until we can generate enough profit to drop 3k-5k on a good site. Unfortunately right now I just don't have that kind of money to invest into the site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Without wandering into what lies beneath,which Tony already addressed, I'll just speak from a marketing standpoint. Every single page you have should be driving toward something, selling something. If it's just there sucking up space, what is it doing for you? Because I started before the web, I got pounded by print and distribution costs with all my promotional pieces, so now it flavors everything I do, even digital, as I figure I still have three seconds to get a message to you that will compel you to investigate more.

Right now, that's not happening on your page and most of that is simply because you aren't talking. You know you can't sell in person that way, so why would web be any different? Tell us right as we get there what great service you are offering to make our lives better. Then give us a reason to choose you and then give us a reason to buy it now.

Regardless of what the web looks or functions like, if you can't get those messages across, then it's not working as an extension of your sales plan. If it's not working as an extension of your sales plan, why is it even there?

If it's a CMS site (joomla), you shouldn't need your developer to get in there and create some headlines and sales pitches.

3 seconds!