Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Business Software Update?

I know this has been brought up before, but Iím looking for the latest opinions, not stuff from two years ago.

I am looking for a good piece of software that doesnít kill my budget (Iím fairly small). I already use Quickbooks, so I could care less about accounting (but it would be nice to integrate with QB). I am looking for a scheduling and routing software that I can use with Android tablets (I already have them, so no iPads) for my employees. I want them to be able to see route notes for the job, clock in and out, and even add notes or have prompts for them to assess. I would also like the ability for these times and dates to be reflected to the customer on their invoice. My higher end clients appreciate this and I believe this helps me to retain them season to season.

A customer portal online where they can see service history, invoices, and pay online would be AWESOME! The complicated part of this (maybe) is that I am the office guy and Iím out in the field. A lot of these vendors claim to lessen the need for office staff, but that doesnít mean zero office staff like the situation I am in. I need something that works well for two lawn maintenance crews, one fertilizer/herbicide guy, one irrigation service tech, and four plow trucks for snow (I told you I was small). If I need to have two vendors, one for lawn/irrigation, one for snow I guess that works, but one solution is preferable.

I currently use Service Auto Pilot. I had all the hopes in the world for it, but unfortunately the latest update doesnít seem up to par. The system seems very laggy no matter what browser or internet connection Iíve used (Iíve tried several). The snow dispatching also leaves A LOT to be desired. When you start at 10pm for example and the clock turns midnight, you have to manually set the date back. The system should figure out that the route needs to be completed once it is dispatched regardless of date. They have acknowledged their snow system sucks, but Iím not sure that I want to wait for it to be fixed. They seem to be understaffed and some of the staff really appears to not know the system.

I know it seems like it, but Iím really not that high maintenance, I just want something that works. Iíve set the bar high for tracking and relaying that info to my clients, but as I get more clients, this is harder to do.

Iíve also looked into Real Green (expensive), Arbor Gold (expensive), Crew Tracker (expensive), Hindsite, Jobber, QXpress, Clip, and Groundskeeper/Blizzard Buster. Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated!!!
The less fun hand stuff...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribing.....I use SAP now too and agree with the issues. I dunno - it's a love/hate thing we got going. =D

Jason
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I currently use SAP as well. I purchased Clip about two weeks ago to change but didn't like it at all. It was hard to setup and not user friendly. I am returning it now. Please let me know if you find anything. I have never heard of Crew tracker. What is that and how much is it?

I have been with SAP for three years. To be honest I haven't found much else but i do feel that it has gotten worse instead of better.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klogan011 View Post
I currently use SAP as well. I purchased Clip about two weeks ago to change but didn't like it at all. It was hard to setup and not user friendly. I am returning it now. Please let me know if you find anything. I have never heard of Crew tracker. What is that and how much is it?

I have been with SAP for three years. To be honest I haven't found much else but i do feel that it has gotten worse instead of better.
I want to say I was quoted $18,000 for Crew Tracker...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Subscribing.....I use SAP now too and agree with the issues. I dunno - it's a love/hate thing we got going. =D

Jason
Completely love/hate... there is no middle!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Jobber and love it!!

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post

Jason
Looking for an update on service auto pilot
Have they improved this past year?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about SAP but Jobber has been making alot of updates, including alot of the stuff you wanted. The exception to that is a customer portal, but supposedly its in the works. I too am looking into options for 2014 to run on an android tablet. Right now I am leaning towards Jobber, I just wish they had a customer portal. But atleast they actually have real card processing, not just PayPal. The way I understand it is I can email an invoice, and the invoice will contain a link to a secure site to make the payment. You can still use paypal, or they have two other processors you can choose. The other two are currently charging 2.9% and $.30 per swipe.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Not sure about SAP but Jobber has been making alot of updates, including alot of the stuff you wanted. The exception to that is a customer portal, but supposedly its in the works. I too am looking into options for 2014 to run on an android tablet. Right now I am leaning towards Jobber, I just wish they had a customer portal. But atleast they actually have real card processing, not just PayPal. The way I understand it is I can email an invoice, and the invoice will contain a link to a secure site to make the payment. You can still use paypal, or they have two other processors you can choose. The other two are currently charging 2.9% and $.30 per swipe.
I send invoices where they can pay through QuickBooks.

I had SAP and hardly ever used the portal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they have updated a lot. SAP is a lot better, way less quirky. A lot happier than when I first started using them. Still pricey, but haven't found anything better yet.

Tags
routing , scheduling , software , tablet , technology