Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got my Cheetah in FINALLY...small review

Finally got my Cheetah. Got it with the 36 hp big block, and 61" velocity plus deck (standard deck)

Cut some 3 week growth (st. aug, super thick) at about 3/4 full forward speed and she didn't skip a beat, or a single blade of grass for that matter. Deck was set at 3.5"

Cut some 2 week old st aug mixed with random weeds, same results, but at full forward speed. Both scenarios were in low gear.

Tried to cut some thick random weeds in HI gear (16 mph) and it actually cut better than my old Hustler fasttrak super duty did at full speed, but it did leave a couple stragglers here and there, although I definitely DO NOT reccomend cutting in HI. I was also instructed to NOT cut in high when I picked up the mower, and that HI is strictly for transport purposes.

The power it has is absolutely amazing, I think I might have bogged it 2 times at most cutting as fast as it would let me. Cutting at 16 mph is just STUPID fast, and not very nerve wracking. I didnt get a chance to cut pure grass at full speed in HI, but it cut extremely well on the stuff I did cut.

In low, it will cut at full speed with no hesitation, and no missed blades of grass.

I will be installing a mulching kit next week and report back how it does.

I will also get some pictures up later for all you picture whores
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Congrats! Cant wait for pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed
Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats!! !! How do you like the ride?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the price difference between the 61. Turf tiger and 61 cheetah? I think a 61 Tt with 27 kohler runs 10.5 here. Not sure about cheetah..
Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
Finally got my Cheetah. Got it with the 36 hp big block, and 61" velocity plus deck (standard deck)

Cut some 3 week growth (st. aug, super thick) at about 3/4 full forward speed and she didn't skip a beat, or a single blade of grass for that matter. Deck was set at 3.5"

Cut some 2 week old st aug mixed with random weeds, same results, but at full forward speed. Both scenarios were in low gear.

Tried to cut some thick random weeds in HI gear (16 mph) and it actually cut better than my old Hustler fasttrak super duty did at full speed, but it did leave a couple stragglers here and there, although I definitely DO NOT reccomend cutting in HI. I was also instructed to NOT cut in high when I picked up the mower, and that HI is strictly for transport purposes.

The power it has is absolutely amazing, I think I might have bogged it 2 times at most cutting as fast as it would let me. Cutting at 16 mph is just STUPID fast, and not very nerve wracking. I didnt get a chance to cut pure grass at full speed in HI, but it cut extremely well on the stuff I did cut.

In low, it will cut at full speed with no hesitation, and no missed blades of grass.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Cheetah experience.

I think you have the best big block mower engine built today, and yes, contrary to popular belief, there are areas that can be cut at 15 mph. When I say 15, I'm taking into consideration the blade an grass drag pulling at least 1 mph off its 16 mph top speed. The only thing that would make the engine better would be a closed loop fuel injection system, and I understand this is being worked on.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
What's the price difference between the 61. Turf tiger and 61 cheetah? I think a 61 Tt with 27 kohler runs 10.5 here. Not sure about cheetah..
The TT was $200 more and came with a 35 big block versus the 36 that the cheetah has. Only reason for the power difference is the cheetah uses a vertical shaft and the TT uses a horizontal shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Cheetah experience.

I think you have the best big block mower engine built today, and yes, contrary to popular belief, there are areas that can be cut at 15 mph. When I say 15, I'm taking into consideration the blade an grass drag pulling at least 1 mph off its 16 mph top speed. The only thing that would make the engine better would be a closed loop fuel injection system, and I understand this is being worked on.
Im looking forward to actually getting to use it! Lol. Too much rain lately. And I honestly don't think I will ever be able to open it up and cut at anything above 12ish, the terrain is too rough for one, and the high speed uses up a ton of power. Time will tell though. Hopefully tuesday or wednesday I will be able to get out to my big property (the reason I bought it) to open it up and try it out, but that is pending on what this storm that is brewing decides to do
Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know what brand ZTR your coming from, but how is the edge of deck visibility with the gas tanks?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-26-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Don't know what brand ZTR your coming from, but how is the edge of deck visibility with the gas tanks?
We demoed one and didn't see any difference, we use Ferris and have also used Dixie Chopper.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post

congrats on the cheetah, every time i cut my bigger lawns and the customer is watching they say its quite entertaining to see me cut the lawn on then new machine vs. my 48" tiger cub i had, they can't believe how fast it is and how nice it cuts at the speeds i'm going, not that my tiger cub with the advantage deck didn't cut great but the cheetah is animal on all my accounts even the pickiest customers i have in million dollar houses comment on how perfect the lawn looks when i'm and how much attention to detail i have compared to anyone else they have used in the past. i really wanna demo a 72 and see what kinda times i can shave off each lawn right now. anyways congrats and have fun with it.