Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i know the deere 27hp efi gets 1.2gph. the same as my 26hp non efi motor.

how could a 27efi use more fuel than a 29efi? it's just not gonna happen.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach14604 View Post
The 29 Kohler EFI to me was a dog when I used it. I have the 34 Kohler on my Exmark and I am very happy with performance.
Wow. I didn't feel like that at all. I was very impressed with the 29 EFI. I'll say this, I demoed the 34 Kohler and the 29 EFI Kohler side by side and the 34 is, as it should be, definitely stronger... but not by that much. In the thick stuff, the 34 cut cleaner and quicker but the 29 cut the same stuff.

For me the question is, how often are you going to be cutting 10" tall grass? If it's everyday, you probably want to get the 34 Kohler or the 35 Briggs. But if you're like me, you're going to be knocking 1-3 inches off everyday, maybe you should think about the 29 EFI.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Wow. I didn't feel like that at all. I was very impressed with the 29 EFI. I'll say this, I demoed the 34 Kohler and the 29 EFI Kohler side by side and the 34 is, as it should be, definitely stronger... but not by that much. In the thick stuff, the 34 cut cleaner and quicker but the 29 cut the same stuff.

For me the question is, how often are you going to be cutting 10" tall grass? If it's everyday, you probably want to get the 34 Kohler or the 35 Briggs. But if you're like me, you're going to be knocking 1-3 inches off everyday, maybe you should think about the 29 EFI.
That right!! Most mowers are overpowered for normal mowing. But it nice to have it when you get a call for a over grown yard. I would think 29hp is perfect for everyday mowing with a 52 to 61 inch deck. Just have to slow down a little bit with the 29hp in tall stuff no big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post

1.2 gph seems high to me for a 27 EFI engine. Like I said, my 27 carbs get 1.2 gph. I don't know, Jason. I think I'll trust everything I've read on this one.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
I'm a cheetah ower with the 34 kohler. If the tt with 29 got 1gph I would make that my third machine also. The ride is nIce with the cheetah but 1gph is pretty sweet. I get 1.5 with my cheetah. Very good detailed review.
Posted via Mobile Device
After demoing the 34 Kohler Cheetah, I've thought about getting one. That machine really impressed me. 1.5 gph is excellent for that much power.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post

Here's another link showing the difference in carb and fuel injection. Granted, this chart is showing engines under full load but notice the 29 DFI is consuming less fuel than the 23 hp.

http://www.turfdepot.com/pages/CustomPage/Index/6139
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Did the Cheetah seem more agile with the more responsive hydros and shorter wheelbase than the TT? Trying to decide between these two mowers and need something that can do large areas and tighter properties with alot of features. I demoed a TT w/35 Briggs but no Cheetah to try.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
After demoing the 34 Kohler Cheetah, I've thought about getting one. That machine really impressed me. 1.5 gph is excellent for that much power.
I was also impressed by the cheetah and ended up getting one with the 34hp kohler, carb is the way to go, might not be as good on fuel but it won't give you issues like the efi's do. I thought it had plenty of hp, but several of my weekly accounts grow very fast, and really need cutting 2x per week from april to the end of june. if they are only cut once per week I need to go significantly slower. i also raise the deck if feel growth is heavy and the customer won't let me cut 2x per week which is really needed even cutting 2x per week i still have to cut at 3.50" usually. but with the bagger on the mower, the kohler really shines having the extra power.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP-
Excellent and straight up reviews. Cudo's to you.

I will say this, all these engine are still being rated with different methods. Kawi's are all rated at true HP now, while the Kohlers aren't. The new and correct ratings for Kohlers are on their website, but they are at the bottom of the specs and you have to look for them to find them.

My reason for pointing that out is that the Kohler 34 is actually true rated at 30.9 HP and the 29 Kohler EFI that Scag uses is true rated at 25.3 HP now. The 29 EFI version should be able to do the numbers you listed for fuel usage. A lot of it depends on the blades used, the mower drive system (pulleys etc), the trans's, and weight. It's tough to compare to different brands of machines fairly unless all those things are equal, or nearly so.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mtn. Guy View Post
Did the Cheetah seem more agile with the more responsive hydros and shorter wheelbase than the TT? Trying to decide between these two mowers and need something that can do large areas and tighter properties with alot of features. I demoed a TT w/35 Briggs but no Cheetah to try.
The Cheetah did seem more agile to me. The new hydros are very nice, very quick. However, it can be a little difficult to see the deck edges when you're getting close to bed lines because the fuel tanks do block your view a little. The visability from the seat of the Turf Tiger is excellent. Both the Cheetah and the Turf Tiger excelled at the wide open mowing on large areas. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these machines.