Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tax on new mower????

My dealer last month told me that my new zero turn will be $10900. I called today to tell him that I would like the mower and to have it set up for me to pick up later in the week. He told me that the final price would be $11600. He charged me a tax. Now I see most mowers listed for sale ebay ect have no tax. I asked my dealer and he says I can will out an argiculture form and I would pay no tax at all. What is this form? Any how will it effect my purchase if I do fill it out.Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
My dealer last month told me that my new zero turn will be $10900. I called today to tell him that I would like the mower and to have it set up for me to pick up later in the week. He told me that the final price would be $11600. He charged me a tax. Now I see most mowers listed for sale ebay ect have no tax. I asked my dealer and he says I can will out an argiculture form and I would pay no tax at all. What is this form? Any how will it effect my purchase if I do fill it out.Thanks
Are you a farmer buying it for use on your farm? If not, it really doesnt apply to you.

Yes, there is sales tax on new mowers just like anything else you buy.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You a farmer? If you see stuff for sale on line and has no tax collected,your still suppose to submit to your state. If they have a sales tax.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The mowers on ebay are no tax as long as you live out of the sellers state. I dont know anything about that form though. The sound of it seems like you would have to own a farm to buy it tax free in your home state.

Last edited by show-n-go; 03-04-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: just saw that you guy's posted the same thing
Old 03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new JD mower on ebay and it said no tax a few years ago. It came from a nothern JD dealer and was sent to me in Florida. I see it over and over that the new mowers are not taxed if sent to another state. I will have to pay the tax but I was just wondering how these company state that there is no tax. If I new this I would have saved me about $700 buying a new zero turn on ebay, and have free shipping with the same price I would be paying at my local dealer. O well to late now.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pay the taxes. You aren't exempt. Filling out the paper work may avoid taxes for now but it will be a paper trail right back at you and could lead to hefty fines on top of the taxes owed down the road.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I buy out of state all the time and never pay tax on my mowers.... Can I get in trouble for something like this??? I don't know, ive never been it trouble for it??? Im not a farmer...... Geez, those farmers get all the breaks........ Its funny how the gov pays them to NOT grow crops. My grandpa farms. Has had fields in crp for yeeeeeaaars and gets big bucks every year to just let it sit....... Wonder if the old gov will pay me to let my yard grow up and never to it........ We have starving ppl in this country and the gov pays to not have fields planted? Why not take and pay them for the crops and feed the needy...

Im rambling sorry!!! but seriously, can you get burned for not paying taxes on a mower from out of state?? My uncle and I were just discussing this the other day but we neither one have any idea. I have no intentions on paying them either way, im just curious.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Im rambling sorry!!! but seriously, can you get burned for not paying taxes on a mower from out of state?? My uncle and I were just discussing this the other day but we neither one have any idea. I have no intentions on paying them either way, im just curious."

If your state should decide to make it a priority to get the taxes owed from online purchases, their is a paper trail back to you. Will they do it, I doubt it but you never know. I'm sure they would go after those with huge $$$ amounts before they bothered with those that make a purchase here and there. They may hand select you if they should ever read your comment. lol Joking!

" I have no intentions on paying them either way" lol
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your suppose to voluntarily pay those taxes on your income tax at the end of the year.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never heard of there not being tax on something if you live in the state your buying it from. mowers included.

the only time I'm aware you don't pay tax is when you buy something out of state and even then I think (could be wrong) your suppose to report it on your taxes.

in my state you can become tax exempt but I'm not sure what all that involves. my buddy was telling me about it the other day but it sounds like its not worth it.