Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
how many people actually report it when they buy something online at all. ebay, amazon, apple, any online store.

one of two things will happen with this new team I think. they will find it EXTREMELY hard to track down enough people for anyone to really get scared and actually start reporting what they buy out of state.

or if they are successful they will bring down the online market.

personally if I'm gonna pay taxes on EVERYTHING I buy I'm gonna make sure I buy EVERYTHING local. and if I can't find something local I'll do without it.

who actually keeps track of everything they purchased in a years time out of state. you know how much that could be. food and gas from vacations, that computer you ordered online this year. those shoes you found on ebay. that DVD you ordered from amazon. the list gets HUGE over the course of a year.

sorry to get off track.
Exactly why I buy out of state. I just bought a cheetah and saved almost a grand......... If they ever get me Ill regret it but i just don't think this "TEAM" is out working on little guys like us...........
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe they aren't. but that hardly fair. the law is suppose to apply to EVERYONE.

my point exactly. this team can't even begin to track every single united states citizens out of state, tax free purchases. so why bother trying to track anyone and why bother having a law for it.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They cant track everyone but the field reps told me they talk about it every meeting they have and are aggressively attacking the cross state line sales that go unreported, and the farm use exemption fraud. I have several guys I know that went to the federal pen for tax evasion and fraud. When I hear aggressively attacking and hiring more people for one issue I am careful to report everything now. Expecially on accounts like ebay that keep records forever on your accounts and what you bought and sold. If you buy something from a garage sell you are legally supposed to report your purchase and pay sales tax on it...lol I try to educate my customers when they yank out their farm card. Under the exemption law in texas and oklahoma under lawn mower is says flat out no if classified as an exemption qualified purchase. I won't argue with people though, I will still allow them to use it because if they are truely using it 100% farm use like a tractor who am I to call em liers... Even now on a public post, some people that say they buy and not pay tax might be zeroed in on by the G'men...lol

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

which is why I said earlier if this team were to really zero in on online purchases like from ebay or amazon sites like that will eventually shut down because people will stop using them.

people don't want to keep track of everything they buy from ebay or amazon or wherever then report it at the end of the year to pay taxes on it.

if your gonna pay taxes on that stuff just find it somewhere local and skip the hassle of shipping and all that.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I pay mine, don't know about any other state but Indiana does do audits, and if you are lucky enough to go through a sales tax use audit, they will go through all your receipts and check to see if you paid sales tax on items. Been through two of them now and don't really want to go through any more, or if they are auditing some company that you have done business with that you didn't pay sales tax they will notify you.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

You people who think they can get by with out paying sales tax are sharing it on here and there are auditors checking this site. They will find some of you.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
You a farmer? If you see stuff for sale on line and has no tax collected,your still suppose to submit to your state. If they have a sales tax.
If OP is buying over eBay instate than yes he will get hit with sales tax. He should buy out of state and avoid the sales tax, if his prerogative is to avoid sales tax. Otherwise, just buy local.

One thing states try to do to scam you out of your hard earned money is charge you Use Tax on items you purchase out of state. Gotta be a fool to actually pay this scam tax.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Crying over a few hundred dollars hardly seems worth it. Pain is my last truck that cost over 60k which kicked above the 50k threshold ct now has for making it a luxury and thus 7% tax.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its called USE TAX people! Required to pay the tax on anything purchased from another state. If you write it off on your business you better be paying the tax.

This is a easy audit find. If you get audited this is one of the by far easiest hits they will get on you.

They take an average and back charge up to 7 years + fees and fines. ,,,,no thanks. I'd rather pay the $100 or so I owe each year from online purchases.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Online purchases are going to be the next big cash cow for the gov. You can't pay with cash online so the trail is easy to find. Banks will be required to sort all the transactions and report them. Why? Because banks are now heavy monitored by the gov for full transparency and disclosure. If your lucky you will be given notice to pay or it will just be taken from your accounts. Just remember you can be audited up to 7 years back. Think of the trillions spent online mostly tax unnoticed, the gov is. The more cash strapped the gov gets, the more they will look for ways to shake down John Q. Public.
Posted via Mobile Device