Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Design gurus, a lil help???

This a memorial that was built near one of the entrances to the high school im landscaping. My grandpa actually helped plant the oak trees in the background when he was at the orphanage as young boy that used to be next door.
They have a nice ceremony every easter at this spot. So i want to get this done in the next three weeks.
I will have irrigation. I added an extra valve at the entrance, so just have to run the lateral. Area gets full sun all day. Im open to ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would help if i uploaded the pics. Lol

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right off the bat i was looking at this. Is there one side of the memorial that could be used as a backdrop..... Up here i would make a half moon backdrop in evergreen's(arborvitae or tall cedar trees)

Are you looking for landscape ideas? or more beautifying the area with flowers and such? Without going too overboard i would try to create some type of constraints for the area, almost like a "secret garden".... To honor the memorial with a peaceful setting where people can just relax

Im not sure what your plans are with this, but there is ZERO landscape here. What does the customer want?

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with DeLong about getting it its own space, but I think you need to be careful not to take that too far. The first concern is that it appears that under certain circumstances the gatherings exceed the area of the pavement so you don't want to enclose it. The second concern is that it is in the context of a very big open field and needs to work in "the big picture.

I like the idea of a backdrop like DL said, but I suggest that it is a straight hedge parallel with the straight edge behind the cross and parallel with the road and existing trees. I would not put it against the pavement, but back halfaw to the oaks. I'd also keep it lower so that you can see over it and so that people on the street can see over it as well. Have it extend past the edges of the patio by half the width of the patio (ie, if the patio is 30' wide, the hedge would be 60' long). Even though you would be able to see the buildings in the background, it will make them not noticed. You could then dress up the front of the hedge for the width of the patio with more colorful plants, if you want to. I'd keep an apron of grass in between, though.

The bigger the landscape, the more simple you should keep it because the details get lost.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The director actually wants to put landscaping around the whole outline due to maintenance workers keep hitting the paver edge with the mowers.
I have and idea, let me draw it out real quick and see if i can upload it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have time, take a look or try to find a picture if the backdrop/landscape around the sparty statue at michigan state university. They use a combination of wild grasses, apple blossem trees, river birches, yews , and rose bushes and itsnabsolutlynbeautiful year round

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

so here is what i had in mind. do a back row of 15gal Acadian Hollys(to match the entrance of the school, and not over power the area), on each side/straight edge would be a row of 3gal Louisiana Iris(again tie in the material used at the entrance) along the front curve of the pavers would be a low background hedge of 1gal wintergreen boxwoods(kept very low to be a backdrop) and in front of the boxwoods would be space to keep seasonal color all year long.
Attached Images

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that would be nice. You should cut the bed all the way around and put stone slabs in the bed for the access so that the mowing crew does not have to deal with it.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I plan to have the bed come out approx 4' around the whole layout. And put in some stones to step from the turf to the memorial.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I showed my quick design to the school director and he loved it.
Posted via Mobile Device