Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Gonna give a try!

I'm 49 and a working professional. My middle child starts college this fall, and my youngest will be following her just 2 years behind. When I was young my wife and I were broke, but we kept having kids..LOL! Unfortunately, we couldn't save a nest egg for the kids college fund like we would have liked. We got lucky with my oldest, she had an academic scholarship, so our out of pocket expenses were manageable. My next two I'm not so sure, with any luck I'm hoping we can get them through without any loans.

The plan...
I'm going to do a startup. The goal is to be part time. I have a 9k cash budget for equipment. I do not require a salary so i plan to put 100% of the revenue back into the business for year one, and 50% of profits year two.

Year One goal
48' ZTR (currently shopping undecided)
5x8 or 6x10 preferably used trailer.
LLC
Insurance
CPA
Marketing
10-20 yards (average 28-38$)

Year two and into the foreseeable future.
50% EBITA (profits) goes back into the business
50% goes to help offset the kids college expenses.

Of course all of the above is subject to change!

Anyone have a thought about equipment? So far I have looked at Snapper Pro 48' and Gravely 48' Both marketed as commercial mowers. The Gravely is more expensive, maybe to much. I like the Snapper Pro price. What to do?

Mikey D
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gonna give a try!

I would go gravely or scag. Shop Craigslist and you can find somebody hard up or upgrading or getting out of the business
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldnt be dead set on a new mower right off the bat. There are alot of good deals out there on good used equpment. And what is your reasoning for wanting a 48'?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

at minimum get a 6 x 10 trailer. you'll find your going to need the space. I'm sure your thinking new because you don't have time (doing it part time) to deal with break downs. And that's smart and what I did when I first started out. How are you planning on getting accounts?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Green irrigation View Post
at minimum get a 6 x 10 trailer. you'll find your going to need the space. I'm sure your thinking new because you don't have time (doing it part time) to deal with break downs. And that's smart and what I did when I first started out. How are you planning on getting accounts?
Yeah, I don't want to mess around with used. I'm not necessarily married to the idea of 48' either. Just a starting thought. 6x10 makes sense to me too.

Accounts? I have 500 homes in my neighborhood. We get a monthly pamphlet from our HOA. I can do advertising there to start. There's oodles of information on this site for Marketing ideas as well. I'm hopeful I can get 12-20 to start.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the site MikeyD. I would start off with a used 48" walk behind with a smaller walk behind for gated areas. Belt drive are cheaper, usually much easier to fix and by purchasing a belt driven this should save you some.

I like your reason for starting a business...good luck.

Carmel Indiana huh? That's a really nice area...a lot of ball players in the area.