Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What is the best stand on mower?
Wright stander 33 23.57%
Toro Grandstand 22 15.71%
Exmark Vantage 19 13.57%
Great Dane Surfer 3 2.14%
Scag V-Ride 38 27.14%
John Deere QuikTrak 9 6.43%
Gravely Pro Stance 13 9.29%
Bad Boy Outlaw 0 0%
EverRide Scorpion 0 0%
Ferris Evolution 2 1.43%
"HATE THEM" 4 2.86%
Other 4 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Best Stand on Mower

I am doing some research on stand on mowers and I would like to see what the majority of lawnsite members use.

I listed as many as I could, but take into consideration there are many different models for each manufacturer and I believe many have upgraded their standers over the years.

In particular, I will be purchasing a 60/61" stand on mower if the machine will fit my needs.

I mow 75+/- lawns by myself. They range from 1/4 acres to 3+ acres. Some have large and small hills, some are completely flat. I want something that is faster than my 61" Ferris walk behind so I can be more productive. I need something that can handle most hills. I need something that will not tear up turf if the grass is wet. I understand that operator error might cause damage to a lawn, but I'm not sure if one stand on mower is better than another for turning on a lawn.

I need a machine that does not feel awkward to ride (although going from a walk behind to a stander may take a while to get used to). Comfort on the stand on mower is a must.

I wouldn't mind being able to step off of the machine and use it as a walk behind. As far as I know, the grandstand is the one for that. But if pros out way the cons then walking with the stand on mower is not a must.

I will eventually demo as many of these units as I can, but I wouldn't mind ruling some out to save some time.

As far as dealer support and research that I have done, the Scag v-ride, Wright standers, Exmark vantage and toro grandstand would be my top contenders. I did however return a 36" v-ride 2 years ago because I couldn't mow many of the hills I had and bringing another mower with me to finish the hills was not practical at the time. That mower was intended for backyards. For this next potential purchase, it will be my primary mower but I will have my 61" ferris walk behind for back up if the mower can't mow some problem areas.

If you vote, please let me know which year/model you own/have used and any other feedback on the machines would be appreciated as well.

If you are completely against stand on mowers, please mark "HATE THEM"

If you choose "other" please specify.

I appreciate all of your votes and feedback.

Mike

Last edited by Larson Lawn Care; 03-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

We bought a brand new 2012 jd quiktrac 60" last spring after using/trying many brands of stand up mowers the last 2-3 yrs. The John Deere to us is by far quicker, nicer cut, easier to use and far more efficient than others and the quality of machine is high (high price also). We are have done research on all with our guys on them compared to zero turns and other stand ups. 90% of it is I have always been around John Deere equipment from riders to compact tractors so I learn towards them more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that info. I don't know why, but since my 36" jd belt drive I had back in 2004, I have steered clear of the jd brand. I guess I've felt they are more for the home owner. I know they are not but I don't usually see any other lco's around here with jd. It's either home owner or the school districts that run them. I'll have to be more open minded and give them a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These standers are all going to have issues on steeper hills no matter what brand you buy. Since I switched from a wb to grandstand a couple years I have found myself using a pushmower much more on hills where in the past I could mow with my wb. But the agility and comfort outweigh the negatives. I can mow all day and not be fatigued. Running a wb with a sulky all day was something I did not want to do anymore. Also the grandstand with the platform folded up leaves a very small footprint on a trailer and in my garage. Here is some pros and cons in no particular order.

Cons
1. Difficult to service. Belts, oil changes. Ect....
2. Hills
3. Deck needs scraped down a lot
4. Clumps in wet conditions

Pros
1. Fast, agile and very comfortable
2. Nice cut and bags good with accelerator
3. Not tiring to operate for long periods of time
4. With toro ocdc installed. Can block off deck, side discharge
or bag quickly with a pull of a lever and the bagger can be
installed with the ocdc in place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the pros and cons. I will definitely have a walk behind as opposed to a push for back up. Wet conditions and hills worry me. I am hoping other decks offer a better cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My situation is similar to yours. I am solo with a variety of yards, small, large, hills, fences ect... As you found out if you go with a stander you will need a seconday mower for steep inclines and other areas where a stander cant go. Luckily my sr4 21" can mow these areas on my accounts fairly quick. Forget about using the grandstand as a walk behind, it useless. Toro should have never marketed this product in this manner.

I am always striving for the most fastest and efficient way of mowing my route. Being solo makes this vital as to maximize profits. For me, a stander and the Toro\xmark 30" seems to be a decent set up and ditching the 21". Only having to haul around and maintain 2 mowers would be nice. The other set up would be the grandstand, pushmower and a real 32" wb. Last year my set up was the gs and a toro super recycler. Very simple set up but had to turn down some work by not having 30"-32" mower. Before that I ran 33" residential mower which doubled as my pushmower and was surprising durable. Unfortunately the cut quality was not up to standards so I sold it off. You have to figure out what works best for your route. What works for someone else may not be suitable for you. I know guys who just run zts and dont even bother carrying smaller mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
Thanks for that info. I don't know why, but since my 36" jd belt drive I had back in 2004, I have steered clear of the jd brand. I guess I've felt they are more for the home owner. I know they are not but I don't usually see any other lco's around here with jd. It's either home owner or the school districts that run them. I'll have to be more open minded and give them a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think alot of that has to do with cost. Exmark and toro have good fleet programs. When I think deere I think preuim price for green paint. But that's not always true.

I'm personally evaluating options as well. I'm looking for a stander and ztr. I think I'm leaning towards a 460 and pro stance from gravely.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, the dealer that sells jd around here does not offer a quick turn around for service. they usually take 1-2 weeks. The other shops i go to are 24 hrs or less.

I will hopefully be able to demo a stander for a week to make sure it will do what I need it to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Great Dane 61" Super Surfer. These are no longer available. I will use it till I retire. I have a ztr, a front deck, and a walk behind, as well as my stander. If Wright made a stander with a diesel engine, I could sell three mowers and buy one. Before buying any new mower, I would check out the service dept and how they handle warranty repairs and loaners. I would go to the landscaping expo in Louisville Kentucky which is in October each year and get a price quote directly from the manufacturer. Then take that quote to your local dealer. It will save you thousands, I'll say that again, THOUSANDS of dollars.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind

Last edited by 123hotdog; 03-06-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'll finally make the expo.
Posted via Mobile Device