Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Walk behinds, who still uses them?

Since the introduction of the ZTR and Stand-on mowers. I'm curious how many LCO's still use walk behinds?

If you do, how many do you have?

What Brand/Model do you have?

What widths/horsepower do you have?

I think it'll be interesting to see if, or how many, of these are still depended on today.

Uncle Kevin
Old 01-22-2016, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Bought a gravely 36inch wb back when i was starting my business....it did the job and i kept it for almost ten years,last 7 years as a back yard mower. traded it in for a 34 dixie chopper rider which i had for 9 years and recently sold that and bought a 36 gravely pro stance. I have 0 interest or need to ever own another wb

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I run a Lesco 48" belt drive. 15 horsepower. It is perfect for my needs. Some people hate belt drives but for the kind of cutting I do (wide, open yards often an acre of more) it is the best thing I have found. Maintence is a lot cheaper than a hydro or ZTR
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Walk behinds and riders are about a 50-50% mix in this area. Standoffs maybe 3-5%. I have run wbs for all of my time as an lco (beginning my 25th season). Main mower is a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer, also have a 48" Turf Tracer and a 30" Exmark. Purchased a 60" Vantage when they first came out in '12 but use it less than the Turf Tracer. I really enjoy the Vantage but with the hills, etc on my properties the was ae a bit faster overall.

The hp on the 60" is 23; the 48 is 17hp. The Vantage has a 26hp Efi using the old system. Btw, I really like the efi

After so many years the ecs controls my hands hurt a good bit at times. The z type controls on the standon mowers are much better ergonomically.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tons of guys in my area still run them. Big and small companies. A lot are belt drives too!

I have a 52 exmark metro. Belt drive 16hp vanguard. Used to have a snapper pro 36/&32 and JD 36.. Few others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2016, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I hardly see any walk-behinds in my area. Most LCO's, including myself, run ZTR's.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGros31 View Post
I hardly see any walk-behinds in my area. Most LCO's, including myself, run ZTR's.
From my reading most parts of the country are like your area. One of our local dealers was told by his distributor that he sells more walk behinds than the entire state of Florida and he is not a huge dealer.

My understanding is that walk behinds are more expensive to build (labor) than z's so the manufacturers are pushing those instead which also helps explain why walk behinds are becoming as pricy as riders.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
From my reading most parts of the country are like your area. One of our local dealers was told by his distributor that he sells more walk behinds than the entire state of Florida and he is not a huge dealer.

My understanding is that walk behinds are more expensive to build (labor) than z's so the manufacturers are pushing those instead which also helps explain why walk behinds are becoming as pricy as riders.
I also think that because of the flat land and the sizes of the properties that are cut in the south, ZTR's are the better option. I know for me personally, not many of my properties would be great for a walk-behind mower. Thinking about it now, my John Deere dealer doesn't even have walk-behinds in stock.
John Deere Z925M EFI w/54 inch MOD Deck
John Deere JS38 Walk-Behind
Echo SRM-280T String Trimmer
Echo SRM-280T String Trimmer
Echo SRM-265 String Trimmer
Echo PAS-225 with trimmer, blower, and pole saw
Echo PB-500t Backpack Blower
Echo PB-250 Blower
Echo CS-370 Chain Saw
Echo 3 gallon sprayer
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGros31 View Post
I also think that because of the flat land and the sizes of the properties that are cut in the south, ZTR's are the better option. I know for me personally, not many of my properties would be great for a walk-behind mower. Thinking about it now, my John Deere dealer doesn't even have walk-behinds in stock.

If it weren't for our hills we'd be the same as your area.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they don't even sell walkbehinds or standers in my area. they have 1 stander at the deere dealer and it's been sitting there over a year now.

all everyone uses is ztrs and 21" mowers for tight areas.