search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: What is the best stand on mower?
Wright stander 40 23.53%
Toro Grandstand 28 16.47%
Exmark Vantage 22 12.94%
Great Dane Surfer 4 2.35%
Scag V-Ride 45 26.47%
John Deere QuikTrak 12 7.06%
Gravely Pro Stance 14 8.24%
Bad Boy Outlaw 1 0.59%
EverRide Scorpion 0 0%
Ferris Evolution 2 1.18%
"HATE THEM" 4 2.35%
Other 5 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member
Scag V-ride 36"

This is my second season with the 36" V-ride. I got it to eliminate push mowing where I cant get the big mower through a gate. I know 36" is super small but it will go virtually anywhere! To boot, it will give an excellent cut at much greater speed than I could walk behind any other mower and will turn around in the smallest space, even on the trailer. I've cut so many dog pins never having to put a foot on the ground.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
I have a Great Dane 61" Super Surfer. These are no longer available. I will use it till I retire. I have a ztr, a front deck, and a walk behind, as well as my stander. If Wright made a stander with a diesel engine, I could sell three mowers and buy one. Before buying any new mower, I would check out the service dept and how they handle warranty repairs and loaners. I would go to the landscaping expo in Louisville Kentucky which is in October each year and get a price quote directly from the manufacturer. Then take that quote to your local dealer. It will save you thousands, I'll say that again, THOUSANDS of dollars.

Seriously? Can you get a mower for about two grand less than MSRP? If thats true,I will be going for sure. I think I want a stander,one that you can also walk with on slight hills. Very,very torn between that and a walk behind.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member
Before buying my 48 Grandstand a few years ago I used a 48 Turf Tracer HP. The Grandstand outshines the Walk behind in all aspects including hills. Now granted, not too many hills where I am at but I can make it track straight on the side of a ditch and the Turf tracer was a nightmare compared to the Grandstand. Stand ons are quickly replacing Walk behinds and I believe they will eventually take over many conventional Z turn sales as long as manufacturers dont gouge on pricing like they are doing with the sit downs.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member
The V ride received my vote, although it is the only stander I have tried. Demoed it today for about 4 hours of run time. Was really unsure about the higher center of gravity on hills, but I used it today on some small but steep hills, and it really performed well. I had no issues with it sliding out, or doing wheelies and not cutting well.

wanting to purchase a used one I have my eyes on for 5000. 600 hours. not sure what its worth, but a stand on is what I want, I believe.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member
My QuikTrack always gets the job done. I personally never tried the others but I heard great things about the grandstand.

The stand on my John Deere is pretty comfortable and rides smooth, never experienced any problems with the equipment the only con I could think of is the price.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member
I have had the GS 48" (2010) and it did great on hills. I had the mulch kit and it did a good job on leaves and tall grass. It didn't do a good job on thin weeds but a lot of mowers don't. The main problem was that the mower was mounted to the deck and caused it to dig in to uneven areas more. Sold it when I got 600 hrs. and bought a Walker. Sold it and just went with the V-Ride 48". I just like standing up better. The Walker MBK23 was a great mower on Bermuda but sucked on everything else. And it was actually good on hills. But the back aches I got from it was getting old. I am so far pleased with the V-ride. I installed the mulch kit and ran it yesterday and it didn't leave anything behind after 2 passes on thick Bermuda. And if you don't know its hard to get leaves to disappear into short Bermuda. The hill side stability does not seem like an issue. Once you get comfortable on the stander type mower I think you can take it anywhere. I have done some super steep hills here in GA.
Silverado 1500 4x4
6x12 Horton open trailer
V-RIDE 48"
Toro 21"
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FC90 Edger
Stihl FC75 Edger
Stihl HL90 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Redmax EBZ7500 Blower