Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki governor problem-Help Please

Need some help. Pulled fh500v off of a turf tracer hp to replace lower crank seal and also changed governor seal. Got everything put back together and engine back on mower. Started mower and engine rpm's were running really high, with throttle set at low idle. turned off engine and lowered the control plate to try and adjust rpms. Started engine again and rpm's still way too high. when I changed governor seal I was very, very careful that I didn't move governor shaft and marked it when removing governor arm. Governor shaft may have moved a fraction, but not much at all. Is governor shaft that touchy or exact. How do I fix this or do I need to take it to a mechanic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Double check your governor adjustment then test run again;

If it still over-revs.....

When sliding the sump/pan back on one must hold the governor shaft so the flag/finger part inside will lay on top of the camshaft, If not the flag/fingers will spin around and not make contact. This will cause over-rev at start-up and any throttle setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, Rob, I'm on but late to the table--missed the gravy. All the better for you with the "groovy pics".
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. The engine ran fine before I Changed the governor seal, it was just leaking a lot from governor seal, as every Kawasaki I've owned has done. I'm sure that I must have just gotten it out of adjustment. I may have hooked the governor spring back in the wrong hole on the control panel to now that I think about it. When you say to turn governor arm counter clock wise,do you mean to just push the end of arm upward towards carb and hold it there while you turn governor shaft counter clock wise til it stops?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbacc View Post
Thanks for the info. The engine ran fine before I Changed the governor seal, it was just leaking a lot from governor seal, as every Kawasaki I've owned has done. I'm sure that I must have just gotten it out of adjustment. I may have hooked the governor spring back in the wrong hole on the control panel to now that I think about it. When you say to turn governor arm counter clock wise,do you mean to just push the end of arm upward towards carb and hold it there while you turn governor shaft counter clock wise til it stops?

yes push end of arm upward towards carb and hold there and yes turn shaft counter clockwise til it stops.