Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

A little help from you Kawasaki guys

I have a 2001 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 52" w/ a FH500v Kawasaki 17 horse v-twin. The mower cold starts really hard. I actually can't get it started without a shot of starter fluid. I just dry compression tested the mower and got 130 psi on both cylinders. What is the compression range these mowers should have?
Note: When the mower wouldn't start up cold I checked the linkage to the choke butterfly and it is operating correctly.

I'm pretty good at fixing things. Even better at breaking things... nonetheless don't water down your answers and thanks for the help!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

My FH500v started acting like that....needed a good carb cleaning... carefully take out the jets shoot them with some carb clean and use a air compressor to carefully blow out the ports,..also the pick-up jets inside/ under the fuel bowl there are 2 in there, I could only get 1 out , but cleaning it did the trick for me~
I've also heard and noticed once the temp gets down to a certin temp the Kaw's become tempermental in starting~
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

could be dirty carb could be valve adjustment or a combo of both. if it were mine i would clean carb adjust valves and set coil gap. valve adjustments and coil gap should be done every 300 hours as general maintenance.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats some good information guys. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it goes, I'll start out with the carb cleaning. What's the spec on the coil gap. And the valves should be set to 4 thousands? If I remember correctly...

Also, just out of curiosity, how can you tell if the fuel pump is bad on these?
Thanks guys
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Got the carb off and trying to get the jet screws out. There are a few jet;s right up the center of the float bowl. First one came out great. The next one is totally stuck in there and that soft brass is just demolished, I got it halfway out and then the screwdriver is slipping on it. I may need a new carburetor if I cant get that out. Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Grant~ try letting the carb soak for a while ( it might help), in my first reply, I mentioned that second jet didnt want to come out for me either, I half mangled it but managed to get it screwed back in and it's been working out ever since, I just keep the rest of the carb cleaned out the best it can... ( hope you dont have to shell out for another carb and can screw it back in too~ ( be careful with the 2 upper jets that are in the intake area of the carb,.. though they may look the same they aren't just remember which one went where~
I Mow Alone had a good addtion with the coil & valves...
Yes the valves set between 0.004 ~ 0.006
And I've always used a business card to set the coil,...was what my dealer suggested to me and its worked like a charm ( also heard it used in here a few times too)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

coil gap 12 thousands
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, be sure the choke is closing all the way. This seems to be a common problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the choke first and throw that starter fluid in the garbage. Use gasoline in a spray bottle instead.

Oldtimer
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the main jet out with a bolt extractor (Pictured). Couldn't be happier I got that out. A new main jet for that carb cost $25 but thats a small price to pay instead of a new carb. Also the two jets on the top I don't think I'm even going to try to get them out unless you guys think I should. I don't want to break another one and I have the carb cleaner with the straw so I can shove it in those jets and hopefully blow it out pretty good. I'll check the coil spacing and checking out the valves as we speak.
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep you posted
-Cool tip I got from the guys down at the shop. To get jets out of deep threaded holes like that, a normal screwdriver is too wide to fit down in there. just grind down the sides of a flathead. Why did I not think of that
Attached Images