Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

did credit cards increase your revenue or not?

Ive heard several business owners say after they started accepting credit cards their business started growing faster. i know theres a fee and its kinda a pain to keep up with everything but in this industry where you do not swipe all that much money is it worth it? does it increase sales? i understand the thinking. accept credit cards and people are more willing to buy your service because they can put it on credit and pay for it later. but whats everyones opinion on it?

also i don't have a smart phone but i hear if you have one you can get a machine that hooks up to your smart phone and the credit card companies only charge 2% a swipe. no fees other then that. does this sound right? thanks everyone for their help in advance
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check out Square, Intuit, and Paypal. I'm sure there are others out there but these are the main players. I take CCs but don't really push it. I will be requiring that all new customers use a CC for payment purposes so that we will get paid and on time.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've used paypal only so far. No problems with it. I've had a few customers where this was a selling point. i'd like a better way to process credit card payments from my website directly in the future , but going through paypal has been fine to start, they charge a fee each transaction too.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Intuit for credit/debit card payments. When I email invoices they can click a link right in the invoice email to pay with their information. They can even set it to remember their info so it's as easy as a few clicks for them. Well worth the % I pay for the service. I'd say 80% or more of my clients either pay by card or have their card info on file with me for automatic payments. I'd say any time you can offer more options to your clients, it will increase your business. Writing out and mailing checks is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I personally only write one check per month for a bill. Everything else is either set up for auto withdrawal or paid by debit card online.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I only use my debit card, PayPal or online banking so I would say except credit cards.
I can send checks from my banks website bill payer but it takes 1-2 weeks to get it sent, versus a company just swiping my card and getting money in real time.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I did the CC thing two summers ago. It did not make more sales just cuz I had the option. It helped me get the money sooner. Some people liked that they got miles for doing it. I didnt like that the CC company charged a fee through the winter when I didnt need the serv. So I dropped it. I can wait for my money to save on the serv fees. However If It gets to the point that I am asked to do it and I will have to take the payments that way I could go back to doing it. But its not a must rt now.
52" Toro T floating deck
48" Toro
3 toro PP mowers
stihl power tools
Eco Hedge Trimmer
2008 Tundra
brown bed edger
Turco bed edger
side walk edger
slit seeder
14 and 12' trailers
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Ps, I went to chase. You have to pass a credit check. Then They set you up. You get a pin #. you can call it it or use a PC. and do it on line. They had a fee per transaction and i think a $60 or so fee per month. Just a FYI. It was easy to set up and if I want to do it again all I have to do is call and they turn me back on. It theink it took 2 days to get the money put in the bank - the fees. hope this helped.
52" Toro T floating deck
48" Toro
3 toro PP mowers
stihl power tools
Eco Hedge Trimmer
2008 Tundra
brown bed edger
Turco bed edger
side walk edger
slit seeder
14 and 12' trailers
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've discussed the topic many times on here. I now use the Paypal swiper as well as send Paypal invoices to nearly half my customers. With all the perks credit card companies offer now, its become pretty standard in the business world. I've had some large installs paid by CC and the customer was able to get cash back, points, miles. Does wonders for customer satisfaction. Now before somebody spouts off about having swipe fees cut into their profit, remember its a deductible business expense. Its a win-win situation. I also feel it adds to the professional image over the cash only guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If anything its more of a convenience. Paypal on website and square for my phone.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so the fees i get from people paying through paypal are tax deductible? i didn't know.. i guess that makes it a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I've discussed the topic many times on here. I now use the Paypal swiper as well as send Paypal invoices to nearly half my customers. With all the perks credit card companies offer now, its become pretty standard in the business world. I've had some large installs paid by CC and the customer was able to get cash back, points, miles. Does wonders for customer satisfaction. Now before somebody spouts off about having swipe fees cut into their profit, remember its a deductible business expense. Its a win-win situation. I also feel it adds to the professional image over the cash only guy.
Posted via Mobile Device