Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

37 hp Kawasaki DFI

Hey guys my local dealer sells Ferris mowers and I purchased 2 new 3100z's with the relatively new Kawasaki 37 hp DFI. I was wondering what experience you all have with them. My first mower had to have a new motor put on it at 200 hrs due to scarred Pistons. Now both of them have been acting up again, one with signs of fuel pump failure and the other with really milky oil that smells like gas. I'm getting tired of having to fix these things and Im wondering if I need to push for a different motor to be placed on my units. I know Kawasaki has had a good name in engines for years but my experience with these engines has been that they are powerful but unreliable. Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecal91 View Post
Hey guys my local dealer sells Ferris mowers and I purchased 2 new 3100z's with the relatively new Kawasaki 37 hp DFI. I was wondering what experience you all have with them. My first mower had to have a new motor put on it at 200 hrs due to scarred Pistons. Now both of them have been acting up again, one with signs of fuel pump failure and the other with really milky oil that smells like gas. I'm getting tired of having to fix these things and Im wondering if I need to push for a different motor to be placed on my units. I know Kawasaki has had a good name in engines for years but my experience with these engines has been that they are powerful but unreliable. Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always had kawasaki motors on all my units. I love them. I did buy a new 2013 ferris 3100z with the 37 dfi . The motor had so many problems it was crazy. Now is has been running great with 1100hrs.my next chic would be the vanguard. They where supposed to have the kaw dfi fixed back in 2013. I know they had issues with in 2010.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecal91 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I like mine (2012 on a 3100z). It has 620 hours on it right now. I bought it used with 537 hours. I have not had any trouble whatsoever. Love the power. Gph have been acceptable. I'd make sure all warranty updates have been done before unloading it (or better yet, ask Kawi for one that has the bugs already worked out)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Derwood; 06-11-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

This was always my experience with this engine too. When it runs correctly, it's great ..... but if the IG coils arc to the blower housing and cause the E-Governor to malfunction, or if the ECU wiring connector pins get worn from engine vibration and have poor connection, or if the fuel system gets too hot, or if the fuel filter gets even a little restricted, or if the valves get noisy and worn, or if the crank position sensor gets gapped too wide, or if the exhaust valves let go, or if you have an older version on a Bobcat that needs updated wiring and updated fuel system components, or if you need the updated $800 ECU with the new design MAP sensor that doesn't get soaked with fuel from the fuel injector aiming.

Other than those couple items, it's a fantastic flagship engine at the top of the commercial engine lineup from Kawasaki.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilman4 View Post
This was always my experience with this engine too. When it runs correctly, it's great ..... but if the IG coils arc to the blower housing and cause the E-Governor to malfunction, or if the ECU wiring connector pins get worn from engine vibration and have poor connection, or if the fuel system gets too hot, or if the fuel filter gets even a little restricted, or if the valves get noisy and worn, or if the crank position sensor gets gapped too wide, or if the exhaust valves let go, or if you have an older version on a Bobcat that needs updated wiring and updated fuel system components, or if you need the updated $800 ECU with the new design MAP sensor that doesn't get soaked with fuel from the fuel injector aiming.

Other than those couple items, it's a fantastic flagship engine at the top of the commercial engine lineup from Kawasaki.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow... maybe I should trade before any of those let go!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Wow... maybe I should trade before any of those let go!
Posted via Mobile Device
It's not that any of these issues is beyond repair. The real issue for Kawasaki Engines is that the motorcycle division is struggling severely. The senior management in Japan has decided that until the Consumer Products division is again making money, they won't invest in the Engine division.

It's likely that you won't find any significant improvements in new products, engine quality, dealer service, production improvements, distribution improvements, or marketing advances until 2017 or 2018.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilman4 View Post
It's not that any of these issues is beyond repair. The real issue for Kawasaki Engines is that the motorcycle division is struggling severely. The senior management in Japan has decided that until the Consumer Products division is again making money, they won't invest in the Engine division.

It's likely that you won't find any significant improvements in new products, engine quality, dealer service, production improvements, distribution improvements, or marketing advances until 2017 or 2018.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dealer told me last year that ALL the updates and fixes had been performed. If that's true, could one expect to be trouble free?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Dealer told me last year that ALL the updates and fixes had been performed. If that's true, could one expect to be trouble free?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bring it up to Wauwatosa and I'll look at it with you. Private Message me and we can coordinate it.
Posted via Mobile Device