Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

All new 2015 Gravely Pro turn 260 review

Name:  2015gravelyproturn2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  48.2 KB

Just picked it up last week. Grass is just starting to grow here in Michigan so I will Have many more pics uploaded in the next couple weeks so check back. I love the new design. The changes that I can see are:

Redesigned front frame and thicker.
Foot platform is now rubber isolated
Deck is ALOT easier to lift with your foot. (redesigned lift mechanics?)
Fuel tank change valve now located by cupholder
Rear bumper is redesigned. looks like proturn 460
Redesigned control levers. (looks like the same ones as the 460 now)
Nice deck step, (Again, took that from the 460 as well)
They added grease fittings to the front caster wheels (good or bad) I don't know

It is a beast, I ordered it with the 27hp kaw, fx850v, which I hope wasn't a mistake. I came from a 2010 gravely pro turn 260 with a fx751v and it went 1700 hours with no issues. I have heard mixed reviews on the longevity of the kohler efi so I decided on the kawaski.

Just like my old Pro turn 260, I love the 5400 transmissions they put in these gravelys! So smooth and responsive and quiet, and never had a lick of throuble with them on my last mower, even my dealer said they have had zero warranty claims with them.

I already removed the front baffles in the deck because based on all x factor 2 deck owners on here suggested so.

I will get some more pics of cut quality on some of my thick nice lawns and also the not so nice lawns. Stay tuned....
Old 04-17-2015, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice machine, and you will be quite happy with that FX850. Not sure why you are worried it may have been a mistake as they have pretty good reps. I run one and have had no issues so far with it in 3 full seasons.

Where/who'd you get it from?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Great looking machine! It should work great for you.

It looks like the switch for the fuel tanks is right next to the cup holder now? That's where the 400s are but they used to be behind the seat on the 200s. That and the isolated platform is really nice. I never noticed how nice it was until I switch from my 460 to my 252.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cannot wait for pics in the field!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

P m p
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2015, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Well guys I put about 15 hours on the pro turn 260 this week and I am very happy with the unit. I will talk about what I love about the mower and what I think needs a little tweaking.

Pros:

X factor Deck with baffles removed. As we all know the x factor deck cuts amazing, but definatley better on the thick lush lawn that the weedy lawns.

Foot assist deck lift is much easier to lift and lower the deck. I would say 50% less weight.

Redesigned control levers on the 260 was a big improvement.

fuel tank valve/left tank right tank, relocated in cup holder. A lot faster to change tanks.

5400 transmission. Silky smooth and quiet. Love these transmissions.

Cons: They changed the parking brake location to the left side of the mower. I am still tring to get used to it as my older pro turns parking brake was on the right side. It seems to me like the parking brake should be on the side, being that after you start the machine with the key your hand is already on the right side of the mower. But now I have to start the machine, and use my left hand to release parking brake. Maybe I just need to get used to it more.

Xfactor deck: I also noticed this about my old x factor deck. When mowing and turning at the same time, (about a 10ft, radius turn), it seems to leave a strip of grass about 3-4 inches wide that is not cut completely. It seems like the front caster tire is smashing the grass down and somehow there isn't enough lift in the blades it cut the grass. On a tight radius turn it doesn't happen though. It isn't terrible but kind of annoying.

Rear tires. Even with 15lbs air pressure in the rear ( I prefer around 10-12 lbs for a smoother ride) the tires have a low spot in the center and they appear to be under inflated. In order for the tire to be completely flat all the way across you have to run like 25 lbs air pressure. The Carlisle turfmaster tires are a better tire I believe.

Overall: I demoed the exmark, scag, john deere and gravely, and I put gravely on top of that list, scag second, exmark third, and john deere last. Although it may sound like I am complaining about a few things, this unit really is top notch and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I have a lot of pictures but I cant get them to load on this site. I will keep tring.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device