Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Virtually the same. The only thing the bravo has going for it is blade selection at this point. We will see when we get some crazy rain but at this point I don't think that will ever happen on the West Coast.
I admit I tended to use my TimeMaster more than the yBravo25 last season.

Thus far nothing beats the yBravo25 in wet conditions. I have a blade for it to modify but not sure when I'll get to it.

I stumbled upon a way to make the yBravo25 a rear discharger I think that will make some conditions easier to deal with such as cutting overgrown lawns etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

So far I really like the three exmark 30's we bought. I had some of the guys that are going to mow with me this year trying them out last week before we got snow. They picked it up very quick how to operate the machines. The same guy that was using one of my 36 inch hydro's last year liked this machine much better. He's a really good worker and picks things up quickly, but picking up the hydro operation for him was not easy. He said all he has to do is mow and not worry about tearing grass on turns or scalping. I think if you want to expand on lawns 18,000 sq. feet and down, you can do it with these mowers. The cost of the 30's is also a plus. Now if your cutting lawns larger then 18,000 sq. feet it's better to have a walkbehind or rider. My goal is to get 2-3 lawns done in an hour with one crew,less expense, and less headaches. The other thing I like is not having to relie on one trained employee on walkbehinds or riders. If they get sick or quit working you can easily replace them with these machines. Just my thoughts!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There was mention from a poster here in one of these threads of how his TurfMaster Toro/Exmark is working out better and faster to mow than his Walker GHS with a 36" deck...?

Any other 36" Walker operators here been able to compare...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
There was mention from a poster here in one of these threads of how his TurfMaster Toro/Exmark is working out better and faster to mow than his Walker GHS with a 36" deck...?

Any other 36" Walker operators here been able to compare...?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have a turf master but I do own a 42"walker (26hp) it's an awesome machine and i have yet to find a mower that compares in cut (lawns without large slopes).. I doubt a push mower will be faster on anything 5000 sq ft or larger.. The problem however is weight.. I can get the job done quick with the walker.. But over time, driving an 800lbs or more mower will take its toll on any lawn small enough that you're willing to push mow.. This is the reason I'm considering the 30" myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhomes View Post
I don't have a turf master but I do own a 42"walker (26hp) it's an awesome machine and i have yet to find a mower that compares in cut (lawns without large slopes).. I doubt a push mower will be faster on anything 5000 sq ft or larger.. The problem however is weight.. I can get the job done quick with the walker.. But over time, driving an 800lbs or more mower will take its toll on any lawn small enough that you're willing to push mow.. This is the reason I'm considering the 30" myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes thanks for the input on this. Years back I dismissed the narrow weight bearing Walker tractor that could run the 36 deck due to reports here on Lawnsite that it required the narrower tires. Tons of Walker here.

I typically double cut All lawns in the Spring and hopefully this year 90% of my accounts will be fertilized by me alone so clipping collection will be even further diminished.

At some point I'll pull the trigger on the commercial model but I'm a happy camper with just the upgrade of the commercial higher lift TurfMaster 30 blades on last years TimeMaster 30.

Depending on employee abuse and steep hills up and down vs Personal Pace drive system....I still suspect the consumer version still has merit in limited commercial use.

Time will tell.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think im coming to a point in my mowing career where im starting to realize that for me smaller is better, smaller mowers and smaller properties. this is why im so excited about the possibilities of the turfmaster and am anxious to hear how theydo in thick spring growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Question for the Kawi engine on both the Exmark and Toro commercial....

Can the engine rpm under load with the blades engaged be reduced...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
i think im coming to a point in my mowing career where im starting to realize that for me smaller is better, smaller mowers and smaller properties. this is why im so excited about the possibilities of the turfmaster and am anxious to hear how theydo in thick spring growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are correct all but one of my lawns are smaller and better served by my collection of WB mowers. 44", 36", 32", 30" and 25".

The key is to be in control of fertilization so you're not hauling truck loads of clippings to the dump on a constant basis when the client has the big application Co. pouring high N ferts in the Spring on a constant basis. Just when growth slow they show again and BAM! More fast release fert growth fest combined with daily watering.

The clipping drill here is insane in the Spring when the client has the full seven APS program.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you get started with fertilizing? Do you have to be certified? Do you use granular? I'm not in to that yet.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No cert for fert here. I use granular on small lawns and prefer the Earthway Monkey grinder spreader. Also have a bigger earth way WB Spreader. Takes some trial and error to apply and not have some racing stripes at first. Just can't compete on price with big Co. on larger lawns.