Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with a comment here about the smaller lawns having a higher profit. I get $40-45 dollars per lawn. We get alittle higher because we make sure the lawns look perfect. So many companies in our area don't let the lawns look real good, clippings on top, clippings in beds, missed area's with the mower, poor string trimming, poor communication. We also communicate well with the clients. If they want the grass higher thats what they get, they are paying the bills, we aim to please them. We don't cut the grass to short and we only take weekly cuts. We are going with 30 inch mowers and looking to cut lawns 18,00 and down. I have all my lawns within 5 miles of my house and I have a lock on two huge developements were people come to me after seeing our work. Most of the time I don't bid against anyone, because they see our work and know they can trust us on there lawn. I add in aeration, tanbarking, and hedges. There is great profit in aerating small lawns. I did three in an hour at my $65 dollar min. I plan on getting two to three lawns done in an hour with a crew. 40 times 3 is a good gross. The main thing is keeping your expenses down 30 inch mowers and 17 inch billy goat aerators. There really is good money in small lawns. I know I have to walk, but staying in shape is not a bad thing!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

reduced rpm for less pulping on pass #1....? TurfMaster...?

Can the throttle on the TurfMaster 30 be backed off of FULL with the blades engaged...?

If yes....is there suffcient forward speed to propel to mower forward...?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Have you personally used this mulch kit? How does it compare to the mulching plug that comes with the mower? I plan on mulching all my lawns, and want to know if the kit helps. Please fill me in with any information you have to offer. Thanks
I have not used it other than my lawn that didn't need cut. Supposed to start my week tomorrow but my truck is still in the shop. Had a bad oil leak and injector pump had to come off to get to seal. If I get out tomorrow I have a few thick st augustine lawns to try it on. From the way it sounds I will probably need to get the low lift mulching blades they have.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowed all day in the rain yesterday. The Exmark is not a good choice when wet. The grass just clogs up under the deck. We had to use the Honda 21".
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also mowed in the rain and was impressed with mulch kit and did not have any clogs. One was a recently fertilized st augustine lawn with 3 weeks growth. The machine did kick my butt because I am used to a stander. Actually got compliments on the cut on the thick yard.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I suspect the mulch blades are last years TimeMaster blades.....?

When somebody acquires a set can you post pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pics of thick lawns cut with exmark or toro?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
pics of thick lawns cut with exmark or toro?
Posted via Mobile Device
No pics of the actual mower blades. I'd even settle.for a pn#.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
No pics of the actual mower blades. I'd even settle.for a pn#.
Posted via Mobile Device
shoot I just did a whole hour demo on it (Exmark) the other day, wish I would have known I could have gotten both pic/number for you.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
Mowed all day in the rain yesterday. The Exmark is not a good choice when wet. The grass just clogs up under the deck. We had to use the Honda 21".
I do admit it sucks in the rain. That is what we have the Bravo 25 for. We just had a end of the month meeting and we talked about what the likes and dislikes were of each mower. The cut quality on the 30 is far better than any other mower however it sucks in the rain.
The ybravo is by far the best small mower that bags the best in the rain. It has very few cow turds fall out and the least amount of chute clogs.
The honda 21 is second to wet mowing.
We will be leaving the 30 in the shop when it is wet and rainy out, and the bravos will be primary on the trailers.

Hoping exmark/toro comes out with a super high lift blade that will make the machine a good wet mower. Thinking the 2 blades has a lot to do with it not mowing well in the wet. The exmark 26 mows better in the wet than the 30.
time will tell.
Any one figure out how to get rid of the clanking noise on these things?