Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzy View Post
Went to the Toro dealer yesterday thinking about pulling the trigger on a TurfMaster. They had at least one in stock and I was talking to the main sales guy. He said, "between you and me, I'd wait until next year. There have been so many problems with the transmissions that I'd be surprised if Toro doesn't come out with something completely different next year."

It sucks because I want to the added production, but I appreciated his honesty. Hopefully next year they have all the bugs ironed out and hopefully they take care of you guys that have already bought one. It seems like a promising machine but I don't want a $1700 hassle - especially IF there is going to be something much better next year.
The same thing was said when they first brought out the Metro 26" in 2005. I was one of the first people to buy it and there were so many mechanical issues with it that first year. It had to go back to my dealer 8 times in 6 months. 5 times, he had to fix the issue and 3 times, Exmark sent update kits but it never made much of a difference along with the fact that the machine was terrible. I was tempted to purchase a 30" this year but after my experience with the 26", I decided to wait a year or two and instead went with an Exmark 21" based on some very generous advice from people on this site. My question to toro and exmark would be if they can't find a fix for this transmission issue, who's going to compensate the owners for their investment? The only thing I got from them for my Metro 26" was a trade in for a 21" Metro back in 2006, the following year.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Kevin R, you might be right - it might be just that simple although there is no way in hell you will roll that into the dealership and be walking out 60 minutes later with a new transmission installed and ready to go. From my experience a machine with a bunch of recalls and a bunch of fix kits is never as solid as a machine that was built right, new from the factory. Also, all of that down time and hauling it back to the dealer over and over for the next sure-fire fix gets expensive and frustrating too. They should be paying you guys to do the testing of these machines for them. Obviously they sent it out way premature and now their customers are paying the price while they continue to try and slap band-aids on it.

I hope it works out for you though. It sucks big time to be relying on something brand new that is constantly having problems. Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are starting to scare me, LOL, I've had my mower about 2 months and have used it almost exclusively and it has worked great and I haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood, but if the time comes I do, I'll have it fixed and hope for the best, I love this mower and the cut quality is excellent.... :-)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
You guys are starting to scare me, LOL, I've had my mower about 2 months and have used it almost exclusively and it has worked great and I haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood, but if the time comes I do, I'll have it fixed and hope for the best, I love this mower and the cut quality is excellent.... :-)
I wouldn't fret about one person having a problem and them doing a service bulletin. Was the same with the 26 and every one bailed and went back to the 21. That gave me home field advantage. As said before this is not the only mower you need on your trailer, it is a niche mower.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea true, I'm not too worried. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzy View Post
Kevin R, you might be right - it might be just that simple although there is no way in hell you will roll that into the dealership and be walking out 60 minutes later with a new transmission installed and ready to go. From my experience a machine with a bunch of recalls and a bunch of fix kits is never as solid as a machine that was built right, new from the factory. Also, all of that down time and hauling it back to the dealer over and over for the next sure-fire fix gets expensive and frustrating too. They should be paying you guys to do the testing of these machines for them. Obviously they sent it out way premature and now their customers are paying the price while they continue to try and slap band-aids on it.I hope it works out for you though. It sucks big time to be relying on something brand new that is constantly having problems. Best of luck.

I'll keep you posted, but I'll

bet you any money that I'm out of there in an hr with a new tranny ready to go no problem. Have you looked to se whats involved to change it? It's not very difficult.

A bunch of recalls!, there has one thing, the tranny, and that one thing Exmark doesn't build.

Way premature, Obviously you haven't looked at this mower very close. Everything on it but the tranny isn't new to Exmark, they have used it before and know it works.

KR
2013 Commercial 30
Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

You're right, I haven't looked at it too close. I'm interested and I've been following this thread and although I had some hesitation I went in to my dealership and I was considering picking one up. BUT, after talking to the main sales guy at a large dealership, even he said he would wait until they get more of the bugs worked out. Having said that, I was looking at the Toro not the Exmark so maybe some of the issues don't apply. I'm certainly not trying to dog the machine, I love the concept. I'm just saying there seems to be some legitimate concerns and I'd like to see how things work out prior to spending the money.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea there's those guys that like to run with the big dogs and those that just prefer for whatever reason to stay on the porch.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How about some more pictures of the mower with and without the bagger, as well as cut quality pictures? If I get one, I think I'll pit my big league striper on the back. The Exmark 30 that is.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They got the new trany installed. Picking my mower up from dealer today.