Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my replacement trans feels weaker than the original
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
Are you implying that I'm not operating it properly? The dealer said they have replaced 2 tranys and someone else on here mentioned that theirs was bad.
Just saying your trans was changed to a new and improved model and you went through it in a couple of weeks. If it were me I would evaluate what I am doing that might put undo fatigue on the trans. Maybe when your coming off the trailer you are engaging the trans before you stop and adding stress to it that way??? Just saying it is weird out of the thousands sold you have gone through 2 in less than 3 months.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Just saying your trans was changed to a new and improved model and you went through it in a couple of weeks. If it were me I would evaluate what I am doing that might put undo fatigue on the trans. Maybe when your coming off the trailer you are engaging the trans before you stop and adding stress to it that way??? Just saying it is weird out of the thousands sold you have gone through 2 in less than 3 months.
It's the same trans. Nothing new and improved. Of course the thought goes thru my head "are we doing something wrong" or "maybe this mower can't handle the mowing volume we do" . Been in business since 1991 and have never had a similar problem.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
It's the same trans. Nothing new and improved. Of course the thought goes thru my head "are we doing something wrong" or "maybe this mower can't handle the mowing volume we do" . Been in business since 1991 and have never had a similar problem.
Were they different mowers or the same one. We have the turfmaster and yet to have problems. Have close to a hundred hours on it (guessing). I would evaluate your every step and see where you might be putting undue fatigue. Not saying that these things shouldn't be more beefier, but 2 trans in this short amount of time????
Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Were they different mowers or the same one. We have the turfmaster and yet to have problems. Have close to a hundred hours on it (guessing). I would evaluate your every step and see where you might be putting undue fatigue. Not saying that these things shouldn't be more beefier, but 2 trans in this short amount of time????
Its the same mower and its an exmark. I figure about 25 to 30 hrs a week. We used the dealers demo model one week and didn't have any problems. This mower has help increase our production quite a bit and I hope they figure it out. It's sold as a commercial mower and should hold up to commercial use. I don't see how it could be operator error. Do you have suggestions on how to avoid undue fatigue?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 30 hours on my Exmark 30 and it won't go up hills very well anymore. The transmission or whatever it is that powers the wheels is significantly weaker than it was when it was new. The back wheel used to peel out and had plenty of power. Now it is like it lost half of its horse power or something. I feel like I will have to take it in in the next week or two and see what's up.

The actual mower cuts well. In thick tall grass it bogs down, but 95% of the time it's great.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the mulching kit installed. To be completely honest I see no difference than just using the plug. They both mulch well.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Suppose to demo the toro 30 today, but rain, so maybe Monday.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I have about 30 hours on my Exmark 30 and it won't go up hills very well anymore. The transmission or whatever it is that powers the wheels is significantly weaker than it was when it was new. The back wheel used to peel out and had plenty of power. Now it is like it lost half of its horse power or something. I feel like I will have to take it in in the next week or two and see what's up.

The actual mower cuts well. In thick tall grass it bogs down, but 95% of the time it's great.
You need to adjust it. You belt has stretched. I had to do this with my toro also at around 30-40 hours. Was the same with the exmark 26 and new belt. this is just routine maintenance.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You need to adjust it. You belt has stretched. I had to do this with my toro also at around 30-40 hours. Was the same with the exmark 26 and new belt. this is just routine maintenance.
Thanks sildoc. I'll see if I can figure out how.