Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Sounds like these "commercial" mowers aren't so commercial. At least with the Exmark version. I don't recall anyone having trouble with their Toro on this thread yet.
I don't know. If you think about the thousands that they have sold a few bad trans is not a big problem on a new design. I am sure they will have a fix for it and everything will work just fine.
Went through the same thing with the exmark 26 and I have several with well over a couple thousand hours on them and only had a to upgrade the wheels(waranteed) and put a few belts on them. Yeah they had their quirks but for all the time they saved me, it was well worth it. If any one is looking to sell theirs let me know and I will make a semi reasonable offer!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you who have the mower, do you feel that when you cut it either comes out to high or to short? I am wondering because of the 1/2 inch increments for the wheels adjustments.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

We have three exmark 30 inch mowers. We use them as our main machines. We cut lawns up to a half acre. We love them. I did blow one trasmission out. They replaced it for me in three days. I talked to Exmark and they said the company that manufactures there trannys did not build some of them correctly to there spects. They felt it affected 15% of the machines. They will replace them. I hear alot of people talking about the ht. adjustment in the front being tough to adjust, but it takes only seconds to complete. The cut is great. Real high wet grass we side discharge and either mulch it or bag on the second pass. I know alot of people were talking about the timed blades. I personally really like them. They cut things up good. I never see stringers after you go over an area. They are not great on hills. Both going up and down. Gas expenses are way down. No ruts or turf tear. So far we love the 30 inch Exmark.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
For those of you who have the mower, do you feel that when you cut it either comes out to high or to short? I am wondering because of the 1/2 inch increments for the wheels adjustments.
For us it wasn't a big deal. In early spring we cut at 2" and as we get hotter move to 2.5 and then 3. I think the cut quality at higher heights is dependent on how thick the lawn is, the thicker the better.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
For us it wasn't a big deal. In early spring we cut at 2" and as we get hotter move to 2.5 and then 3. I think the cut quality at higher heights is dependent on how thick the lawn is, the thicker the better.
this is a very true statement also. With a thicker lawn, it cuts better. If the lawn is tall, thin, and full of weeds, it will not cut even, and a few tall weeds may not get cut even.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got Toro Comm 30" Monday. My thoughts after a tank and 1/2 fuel.
Is the following.
1. Heavy
2. Does cut mowing time down
3. Seems to cut nice.
4. Decent power
5. Like the adjustment for height.
5. Since I have ran honda's for the last 8 years the handle is somewhat a pain.
7. Overall I will have a 30" and 21" on the trailers, can't see it replacing all the small WB'sName:  IMAG0329.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  49.3 KB
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want to make 1/4" increments out of a push mower with only half inch increment try setting the rear wheels one half setting higher. That's what I don't when I'm between settings. So to say I wanted 2.75 I'd set the front wheels to 2.5 then the rear wheels to 3 and the produces a 2.75" cut and never have stragglers or stringers produced when we do this. Actually helps bc it gives the deck some pitch vs being flat in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm intrigued by the Toro 30". How does the drive train work? If it's anything like their personal pace I'll pass, but if it's similar to their larger WBs it looks wonderful.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is one of 2 reasons I'm shying away from the commercial mower.

1. An extra 37# over the homeowner model.

2. Handle doesn't fold up straight for easy stowage.

Granted the plastic wheels on my TimeMaster have cracked and the right front wheel is wearing out noticeably quicker....and I'm pretty annoyed with the tiny gas tank on the TimeMaster as well.

#3 The TimeMaster personal pace drive is NOT well suited for steep up and down slopes. Moderate inclines yes.

And yes the higher lift blades from the commercial mower do work better for bagging and side discharging taller grass.

So.....if you're a TimeMaster user get the commercial blades already they do help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Got Toro Comm 30" Monday. My thoughts after a tank and 1/2 fuel.
Is the following.
1. Heavy
2. Does cut mowing time down
3. Seems to cut nice.
4. Decent power
5. Like the adjustment for height.
5. Since I have ran honda's for the last 8 years the handle is somewhat a pain.
7. Overall I will have a 30" and 21" on the trailers, can't see it replacing all the small WB'sAttachment 271583
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

**edit was timed out **

$1800 just seems like a bit much for a niche mower when an electric start TimeMaster 30 can be had for $1099....?

Flat out my Quick dually 32, 36 and 44 will flat out smoke hands down the cut quality and are vastly faster. Someone mentioned their larger 32/36 was only marginally faster...? Even at reduced engine rpm my BOP duallys are faster and a true joy to use. It's a crying shame Gary is not able to crank out these mower right now.