Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is why i chose not to get the exmark 30 but i got the Honda HRC216 and i regret that. The lawns here are a little to big to mow with a 21, i could really use the 30 but I cant take the risk of having it in the shop.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
has anyone had issues with the toro version yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not as of yet, however the trans is not as responsive as it was when new. Might need to adjust again.

Hopefully Exmark gets this hashed out as I am looking to buy another and like the exmark controls over the toro.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious, what exactly is the problem with the tranny? Is it a gear that breaks, a fork that breaks, parts become disassembled, set screw coming loose and gears get out out of sync and then torn up, outboard shaft bearings, ...? What is the faulty part(s)?

Why would the Exmark and Toro tranny be different?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I had three mowers go down. One just went down a second time today. Exmark told me they were not sending new transmissions out right now until they fix the problem. They said they would have the problem solved by the end of May. I told them I have three machines down and can not wait till the end of May. They are sending me two transmissions to hopefully get through the week. Then they will put the new ones on. It's really hurting my business. I haven't had all the mowers on my trailer for a month and a half. I'am sticking with exmark because I believe they are working out the problem and they have always been good to me, but they better come through. I dropped a lot of money. They told me small teeth in the trannys were not build to spect by the manufacturer. My point earlier, the cut on the machines I truly believe is one of the best out there. Right now I just wish I would see more of it with all three machines on one day.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
I had three mowers go down. One just went down a second time today. Exmark told me they were not sending new transmissions out right now until they fix the problem. They said they would have the problem solved by the end of May. I told them I have three machines down and can not wait till the end of May. They are sending me two transmissions to hopefully get through the week. Then they will put the new ones on. It's really hurting my business. I haven't had all the mowers on my trailer for a month and a half. I'am sticking with exmark because I believe they are working out the problem and they have always been good to me, but they better come through. I dropped a lot of money. They told me small teeth in the trannys were not build to spect by the manufacturer. My point earlier, the cut on the machines I truly believe is one of the best out there. Right now I just wish I would see more of it with all three machines on one day.
Hmmm, Here is a quote from my dealer dated May 6th,

"Exmark told us this morning that by the end of this week they should have transmissions to my distributor that are NOT “suspect”. The one I will be receiving today cannot be guaranteed to be good. As they have been scrambling to get new transmissions out to customers they were still dealing with “suspect” inventory"

It is interesting that we haven't heard similar problems from Toro owners.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just noticed an Exmark rep commented on another page regarding the difference between a Metro and the 30. You would think he would show up on this thread somewhere. Maybe he's keeping quiet for a reason. I really want one of these mowers, but I won't get myself into this tranny bind, till I know it's been straightened out. I called our local dealer and the service rep said they have received no communication from Exmark regarding tranny issues. But I won't pull the trigger till I know for sure.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel the same way. Not buying anything until the tranny issue is resolved. Watching this issue very closely.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Sponsor

It is unfortunate there has been so much misinformation and disinformation surrounding this issue. Exmark has not been ignoring this issue and has, in fact, acknowledged there is an issue with a higher than acceptable number of the transmissions from the vendor on these machines. Exmark has been working diligently with the vendor to resolve these issues and we are confident they have identified the root cause of the problem and have completed the necessary corrective actions to ensure the future integrity of these machines. We have been open and up front with the users of these products and, while we have been waiting for the updated transmissions, we have provided replacement transmission from the only supply we had available. The supply was in the ‘suspect’ range and we told this to customers upfront. Many of the replacements were fine, did not fail and resolved the customer’s issues. Unfortunately, some of the replacements failed as well. Again, Exmark has been open and upfront to the customers regarding this issue and the status of the replacements. We gave the customers the option of waiting until we receive the updated transmission or taking a chance with a suspect replacement. Exmark received an initial delivery date from the vendor and, in good faith, we shared this information with the customers and dealers who were waiting for the replacement transmissions. Unfortunately, circumstances were such that the vendor was unable to meet the delivery date and that is why it was changed. Exmark is anticipating updated transmission will be available by the end of May.
Due to the transmission issues, Exmark will be extending the warranty on the transmission portion of the unit until 2 years from date of purchase.
We do understand the frustration of the customers with the failures but Exmark will stand behind this product and we are grateful for the support of our loyal customers. Exmark prints the contact information on every Operator’s Manual and provides contact information on our website. Our call center is located in the Exmark factory in Beatrice, Nebraska. Our hours from April through September are 6:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. October through March the hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (All times are Central Time Zone) Our phone number for Customer or Technical Service is 402-223-6375 or you can send your email questions to service@exmark.com .
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
It is unfortunate there has been so much misinformation and disinformation surrounding this issue. Exmark has not been ignoring this issue and has, in fact, acknowledged there is an issue with a higher than acceptable number of the transmissions from the vendor on these machines. Exmark has been working diligently with the vendor to resolve these issues and we are confident they have identified the root cause of the problem and have completed the necessary corrective actions to ensure the future integrity of these machines. We have been open and up front with the users of these products and, while we have been waiting for the updated transmissions, we have provided replacement transmission from the only supply we had available. The supply was in the Ďsuspectí range and we told this to customers upfront. Many of the replacements were fine, did not fail and resolved the customerís issues. Unfortunately, some of the replacements failed as well. Again, Exmark has been open and upfront to the customers regarding this issue and the status of the replacements. We gave the customers the option of waiting until we receive the updated transmission or taking a chance with a suspect replacement. Exmark received an initial delivery date from the vendor and, in good faith, we shared this information with the customers and dealers who were waiting for the replacement transmissions. Unfortunately, circumstances were such that the vendor was unable to meet the delivery date and that is why it was changed. Exmark is anticipating updated transmission will be available by the end of May.
Due to the transmission issues, Exmark will be extending the warranty on the transmission portion of the unit until 2 years from date of purchase.
We do understand the frustration of the customers with the failures but Exmark will stand behind this product and we are grateful for the support of our loyal customers. Exmark prints the contact information on every Operatorís Manual and provides contact information on our website. Our call center is located in the Exmark factory in Beatrice, Nebraska. Our hours from April through September are 6:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. October through March the hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (All times are Central Time Zone) Our phone number for Customer or Technical Service is 402-223-6375 or you can send your email questions to service@exmark.com .
Is this a regional problem? Is it certain batch, did you guys send these units to one region or multiples? Im in NY and all the dealers out here are unaware of any problems, either they are just trying to sell the units, or they are not being informed by exmark of the problem.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one of the 30 Exmarks at a good price of $1400 on Craigslist. Now I know why I got such a good deal. Jk.
But seriously will Exmark give me one of the updated new transmissions so Ill have piece of mind that mine isn't subpar?
Posted via Mobile Device