Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Sponsor

That is part of the frustration with this issue. The vendor is not able to narrow the list of transmissions that may fail. If the transmission is destined to fail, it is failing extremely quickly. (Usually within the first 5 hours of use.) The failure rate (from a % standpoint) is not high enough that everyone in all parts of the country will see it. However, the failure rate is high enough that it does not meet Exmark’s standards or expectations nor those of the customers.
For customers who are using them and have more than 20 hours of use, they probably do not have a transmission with issues. BUT, just to be sure, we are going to extend the warranty on the transmission portion of the units until 2 years from date of purchase.
If customers have any concerns or questions about their machine, they are always welcome to contact us directly.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Just curious, what exactly is the problem with the tranny? Is it a gear that breaks, a fork that breaks, parts become disassembled, set screw coming loose and gears get out out of sync and then torn up, outboard shaft bearings, ...? What is the faulty part(s)?

Why would the Exmark and Toro tranny be different?
Toro 30 and exmark 30 use different trannies per exmark web page.
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Stihl 361 25" bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my replaced one is starting to make a scraping sound.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
That is part of the frustration with this issue. The vendor is not able to narrow the list of transmissions that may fail. If the transmission is destined to fail, it is failing extremely quickly. (Usually within the first 5 hours of use.) The failure rate (from a % standpoint) is not high enough that everyone in all parts of the country will see it. However, the failure rate is high enough that it does not meet Exmarkís standards or expectations nor those of the customers.
For customers who are using them and have more than 20 hours of use, they probably do not have a transmission with issues. BUT, just to be sure, we are going to extend the warranty on the transmission portion of the units until 2 years from date of purchase.
If customers have any concerns or questions about their machine, they are always welcome to contact us directly.
It's good that you showed up on here after what seemed like complaint after complaint was made about the machine. I think the main source of frustration lies in the fact that Exmark/Toro's equipment is overpriced to begin with, and when we purchase something that costs such an incredible amount we feel like not only should we be compensated for the bad part (which it is under warranty), but also for the extra time and expense it takes from those that rely on these machines as an income provider. At that point it doesn't really matter who was the source of the bad transmission, it becomes Exmarks priority to make it right. At least that's how I would feel if I would have purchased one that went down.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMo View Post
my replaced one is starting to make a scraping sound.
If you are experiencing issues with either a new unit or a unit where the transmission has been replaced OR if you simply have any questions or concerns about your machine, the BEST place to start is to contact your dealer. You are also welcome to call us directly.
Our hours from April through September are 6:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. October through March the hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (All times are Central Time Zone) Our phone number for Customer or Technical Service is 402-223-6375 or you can send your email questions to service@exmark.com.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
It is unfortunate there has been so much misinformation and disinformation surrounding this issue. Exmark has not been ignoring this issue and has, in fact, acknowledged there is an issue with a higher than acceptable number of the transmissions from the vendor on these machines. Exmark has been working diligently with the vendor to resolve these issues and we are confident they have identified the root cause of the problem and have completed the necessary corrective actions to ensure the future integrity of these machines. We have been open and up front with the users of these products and, while we have been waiting for the updated transmissions, we have provided replacement transmission from the only supply we had available. The supply was in the Ďsuspectí range and we told this to customers upfront. Many of the replacements were fine, did not fail and resolved the customerís issues. Unfortunately, some of the replacements failed as well. Again, Exmark has been open and upfront to the customers regarding this issue and the status of the replacements. We gave the customers the option of waiting until we receive the updated transmission or taking a chance with a suspect replacement. Exmark received an initial delivery date from the vendor and, in good faith, we shared this information with the customers and dealers who were waiting for the replacement transmissions. Unfortunately, circumstances were such that the vendor was unable to meet the delivery date and that is why it was changed. Exmark is anticipating updated transmission will be available by the end of May.
Due to the transmission issues, Exmark will be extending the warranty on the transmission portion of the unit until 2 years from date of purchase.
We do understand the frustration of the customers with the failures but Exmark will stand behind this product and we are grateful for the support of our loyal customers. Exmark prints the contact information on every Operatorís Manual and provides contact information on our website. Our call center is located in the Exmark factory in Beatrice, Nebraska. Our hours from April through September are 6:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. October through March the hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (All times are Central Time Zone) Our phone number for Customer or Technical Service is 402-223-6375 or you can send your email questions to service@exmark.com .
It's good to see you posted this. I'm very happy to see the extended warranty on the transmission.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
I bought one of the 30 Exmarks at a good price of $1400 on Craigslist. Now I know why I got such a good deal. Jk.
But seriously will Exmark give me one of the updated new transmissions so Ill have piece of mind that mine isn't subpar?
Posted via Mobile Device
As we stated before, if it doesnít fail within the first few hours it is probably not subpar. However, Exmark will be extending the warranty on the transmission portion of the unit until 2 years from date of purchase. We will not change transmissions until it fails. That is a little like going to the dentist and asking him to drill a tooth and put in a filling just in case you get a cavity. Rest assured, if that transmission fails within that two year period we will take care of it.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
It's good that you showed up on here after what seemed like complaint after complaint was made about the machine. I think the main source of frustration lies in the fact that Exmark/Toro's equipment is overpriced to begin with, and when we purchase something that costs such an incredible amount we feel like not only should we be compensated for the bad part (which it is under warranty), but also for the extra time and expense it takes from those that rely on these machines as an income provider. At that point it doesn't really matter who was the source of the bad transmission, it becomes Exmarks priority to make it right. At least that's how I would feel if I would have purchased one that went down.
This kills me, People will buy and pay $30 -$50,000 or more for a car or truck.(they use for work everyday) Then get a recall notice for a faulty part (under warrenty), probably a part that wasn't even made by the vehicle manufacture. They will drop the vehicle off at the dealer for a day (or more) to be fixed and think nothing of it nor ask the dealer or manufacture for "compensation" for the bad part (under warrenty) or day without a vehicle that they lost time and "income" for.

Now you have a piece of equipment that cost $17-$2000 with a faulty part and the manufacture is doing ALL they can to get this problem resolved PLUS giving us one full yr of extra warrenty. Mmmm, I don't see vehicle manufacturers jumping to do that and we pay a TON more $$ for them.
Besides that, most of us probably have another mower around that we can make due with if we have to until the problem is resolved (unlike another tuck sitting around)

I have been in contact with Exmark a couple of times and got the full story of what the problem is, I think they are handling this problem just fine.

My 2 cents worth.

KR
2013 Commercial 30
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
.... I think the main source of frustration lies in the fact that Exmark/Toro's equipment is overpriced to begin with, ...
There is lots of good factual information in this thread, real life experiences. But this is a highly subjective statement. The writer is free to have an opinion, but the market pressures and historical success say otherwise.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I have only used mine for a week now and LOVE it, it is the best trim mower I have owned in 20 years in the business, here in Colorado we have Kentucky Blue Grass which is super thick and this mower mulches it like a champ, also if you want to bag the grass it will pack the bag completely full, a truly awesome mower and now that Exmark is giving 2 years on the tranny Im going to buy 4 more for my other crews