Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
would you agree sildoc that the kawi engine could easily last 10 times longer than briggs? i don't know why everyone keeps saying same mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kawi will definitely last longer. Has pressurized oil system and filter. I like the torque better. spring and late fall mowing is better with more torque. even if it lasts twice as long as a briggs your still money ahead.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I do admit I'm much harder on my yBravo25 than the HO TimeMaster. Valid point on a solo operator vs employees. The plastic front bumper is actually handy since it bounces off tree trunks with zero injury. Not talking ramming with it just a light touch.

I would like to be able to run my TimeMaster side by side with the TurfMasters but as of yet haven't had a chance.

I would not be surprised if the Briggs engine on my TimeMaster out lasts other major components. I also expressly use "SL" rated oil in mine for added ZDDP anti wear additives. ZDDP hangs kn there when the oil film is temporarily lost. Also since the engine races up to max rpm with no throttle control I lean towards the German Car spec oils such as Castro 0w-30. Also use this in my Toro 4 stroke single stage snow blower.

For my purposes the fold up handle is a Huge space saver. My biggest gripe is the tiny gas tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here we go again, Be it Snapper 26", Metro 26", Ybravo 25" or the newest addition Exmark 30", it seems that every manufacturer who gave the 25-30" market a try has failed.

Partly because:
A) there's no proper engine available (250cc) hence they have to stress a 190 cc unit till it screams
B) at 140+ lbs most are heavy and whilst machine balance can do wonders it never fully offsets the weight penalty
C) there are no off-the-shelf parts like transmissions available, so they adapt a 21" tranny which usually breaks too soon

That said these are niche mowers and I can understand how many LCOs find them benefitial for frequently manicured lawns. But until companies like Honda, Kawasaki, TuffTorq and alike start making dedicated parts, these units are likely to remain underpowered, unreliable or overpriced if custom made parts are used.

Personally I'd rather spend $2500-$3500 on a 32" belt or single hydro and have the peace of mind. My Ferris Hydrocut has just passed the 2500 hour mark with next to zero problems, turns quite easy, mulches down almost anything and probably puts less pressure on the turf than this Exmark 30.

Just my honest opinion.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ you are true in everyway, except I have clients who do not want big WB on their yard and will pay extra. So I want to do them fast as possible and 21's aren't fast.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
^^^ you are true in everyway, except I have clients who do not want big WB on their yard and will pay extra. So I want to do them fast as possible and 21's aren't fast.
That's exactly what I meant and if it works for people, I'm happy for them.

I do think though that a 32" WB exerts less tire pressure than these oversize 21".

What I hope we won't be hearing when these machines get past 500 hrs is transmission issues, engine durability problems, operator fatigue issues etc...
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
Here we go again, Be it Snapper 26", Metro 26", Ybravo 25" or the newest addition Exmark 30", it seems that every manufacturer who gave the 25-30" market a try has failed.

Personally I'd rather spend $2500-$3500 on a 32" belt or single hydro and have the peace of mind. My Ferris Hydrocut has just passed the 2500 hour mark with next to zero problems, turns quite easy, mulches down almost anything and probably puts less pressure on the turf than this Exmark 30.

Just my honest opinion.
One thing you aren't looking at is ease of training of the LAWN MONKEY. You can train a monkey to run a push mower (21, 25, 26 or 30) easily, however running a belt or hydro large mower 32+ takes the right person and time. Of which sometimes you can't find for a reasonable price.
With Labor being one of the largest expense the 30 can really cut labor costs.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I do admit I'm much harder on my yBravo25 than the HO TimeMaster. Valid point on a solo operator vs employees. The plastic front bumper is actually handy since it bounces off tree trunks with zero injury. Not talking ramming with it just a light touch.

I would like to be able to run my TimeMaster side by side with the TurfMasters but as of yet haven't had a chance.

I would not be surprised if the Briggs engine on my TimeMaster out lasts other major components. I also expressly use "SL" rated oil in mine for added ZDDP anti wear additives. ZDDP hangs kn there when the oil film is temporarily lost. Also since the engine races up to max rpm with no throttle control I lean towards the German Car spec oils such as Castro 0w-30. Also use this in my Toro 4 stroke single stage snow blower.

For my purposes the fold up handle is a Huge space saver. My biggest gripe is the tiny gas tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
What do "SL" and "ZDDP" stand for?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post

Partly because:
A) there's no proper engine available (250cc) hence they have to stress a 190 cc unit till it screams
B) at 140+ lbs most are heavy and whilst machine balance can do wonders it never fully offsets the weight penalty
C) there are no off-the-shelf parts like transmissions available, so they adapt a 21" tranny which usually breaks too soon

That said these are niche mowers and I can understand how many LCOs find them benefitial for frequently manicured lawns. But until companies like Honda, Kawasaki, TuffTorq and alike start making dedicated parts, these units are likely to remain underpowered, unreliable or overpriced if custom made parts are used.

Just my honest opinion.
I would say the Exmark 30 is far from a failer. I've been using mine all this spring in heavy growth and the last two weeks in on and off rain. It produces a fantastic cut, mulches great and is far from unered powered and is huge time saver for me

KR
2013 Commercial 30
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep hearing the term "niche mower" for these mowers. Bull! Depending on your market, lawn mix and hardscaping features, a 36 can easily be to big for the lawns that are being mowed. The lawns here in spokane dictate that you have to bag probably half the time or more until July when hot weather starts hitting then you might be able mulch. Taking that bag off and on repetitively can add up to a lot of lost time. In our market, very seldom do you ever see anything bigger than a 36 on a trailer unless they do commercial or outlying properties, a 48 or bigger is a " niche mower" here. It is easier to carry and use the biggest mower that will work on the most lawns possible. I won't spend $3000 plus on any mower that will only do a small percentage of my lawns. I have two lawns that have to be done with a 21 because of landscaping. I have one lawn that I have to keep a 21 ariens around because of the 13 rr tie steps up from the lower terrace. My 26 has most completely replaced my 33. As you hopefully can understand, "niche mower" is dependant on your customer mix. One last thought, my 33 will use over two gallons of fuel to do what the 26 will with one gallon and I still get home at the same time
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

great points vegandude. if and when i purchase, the 30 would be a primary use mower for me. it would be used on well over half of my lawns for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device