Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
One thing you aren't looking at is ease of training of the LAWN MONKEY. You can train a monkey to run a push mower (21, 25, 26 or 30) easily, however running a belt or hydro large mower 32+ takes the right person and time. Of which sometimes you can't find for a reasonable price.
With Labor being one of the largest expense the 30 can really cut labor costs.
I just got a used Toro 40 belt drive with pistols. It was that or an Exmark 30. Compared to the 30 Exmark, the Toro is a ***** to drive but the cut is simply superb. That cant be said for the 30 inch and thats why I bought the Turboforce deck. For me the stripes need to be there or the cut just isnt good enough to charge for.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Just updating everyone on my situation. I called Jeremy at Exmark and Jermy did come through. Jeremy shipped out two new trannies to my dealership and got two other parts my mower needed. For the first time in a while I had all three new 30 inch exmarks on my trailer. The new trannies are are nice. They pull the machine faster and pull up hills better. Time will tell if they last longer but so far I really like them. Exmark was good to me. I called them quite often and they did respond in a good way and did not make any excuses and they were honest with me. My third mower I need to get a new tranny on it, is not working right. After getting two new trannies on my two machines it just shows me how bad the old trannies are. We still love the cut and versitility of the mowers. They are very quick. If they can hold up and the tranny problem is fixed I would highly recommend them. I need to get a new tranny on my third machine and if they hold up I know people will be happy with the mowers like we are. I asked Jermy at Exmark to get me a third tranny to update my third machine. I will keep you updated on the machines and exmark's response. So far Exmark has been good.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

The guys that were having tranny problems with your exmarks are you up and running now? How do you like the new trannys they put on your mower? I heard someone on here say they had to push there mower to get it going. That's a sign you have a problem with the tranny. You should have your dealer look at it. We had the same problem with one of our mowers and several days later the whole tranny went.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, its been a while since ive posted an update on my opinions of the exmark 30, so thought id get back on here and add a few lines.
First off, its a great trim mower, but a bit heavy to move around tight spots on uneven ground.
Second, it has increased my productivity on some of the yards where nothing else (besides a 21 inch) would fit through the gates.

Recently, with the heavy spring growth, I had a few customers request bagging....uggg. Well, not sure why its doing it, but its not picking up all the clippings and leaving a streak of grass down the right hand side on every pass. Now, this may not be the fault of the mower. I definitely need to get new blades, and that might help. I did notice some buildup underneath the mower, so I got most of it out, but still need to rinse off the rest tomorrow. I will also rinse out the bag, to open the pores of the bag back up (lots of dust here).

I also noticed that its not always starting right up either. It took a bit of starter fluid to get it going today. So I checked the air filter, and will probably replace it to see if that helps.

Lastly, I broke my drive cable yesterday, so that will need to be repaired. Not sure how it happened? I discovered it when I pulled up to a job site to start mowing, so no idea what happened there??

It stripes ok, but does NOT leave the nice lines of a walk behind, ztr or stander. IM hoping the new blades will help. I have also noticed that its not cutting as cleaning lately, and leaving tall weeds uncut when the going gets thick.

Not trying to bash this mower, just wanting to provide an update of how its going for me so far. Sorry, no pics, I just haven't had (or made) time to take them.

That's it for now....
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fwiw I have noticed that my TimeMaster is fairly sensitive to dullish blades. I had a dull set of TurfMaster blades that I had used for aeration plug break-up and I noticed clumping trails in taller grass a few weeks back while bagging. I was thinking WT? then checked the blades and sure enough worse than butter knife dull and I had spaced that I forgot to swap them out.

I have 2 sets of lower lift TimeMaster blades and 2 sets of Higher lift TurfMaster blades so I always have sharp ones handy.

Still wish there was a cheaper alternative than the OEM standard price.of $20/$21 per blade from the dealers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Fwiw I have noticed that my TimeMaster is fairly sensitive to dullish blades. I had a dull set of TurfMaster blades that I had used for aeration plug break-up and I noticed clumping trails in taller grass a few weeks back while bagging. I was thinking WT? then checked the blades and sure enough worse than butter knife dull and I had spaced that I forgot to swap them out.

I have 2 sets of lower lift TimeMaster blades and 2 sets of Higher lift TurfMaster blades so I always have sharp ones handy.

Still wish there was a cheaper alternative than the OEM standard price.of $20/$21 per blade from the dealers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, I think your right. I believe that the new blades will improve the performance back to normal. I ordered a set last week, and hope to have them soon.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is this still what they call an "industry"? Ten years ago LCO's made $60/ hour easily. Now these guys are happy with $30. The biggest talk on these threads was who had the best cut, Exmark or Skag? Those guys were driven out by guys with residential lawn mowers who figured out they cut better with commercial blades. At least I guess thats the trick. what a joke this has become. Cut quality is a forgotten issue.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

I own both the toro timemaster and turfmaster. To be completely honest the timemaster seems to work better in thick St. Augustine grass down here in Florida. The biggest reason being the weight difference between the two. Really have had no problems with either machine but the turfmaster just seems a bit to heavy to go through the St. Augustine grass. It sinks down in backyards and doesn't have enough power to go as the timemaster seems to be lighter and quicker through it. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Also I know it sounds crazy but the timemaster seems to mulch and handle the higher grass better than the turfmaster. I don't really get it but who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign Landscaping View Post
Also I know it sounds crazy but the timemaster seems to mulch and handle the higher grass better than the turfmaster. I don't really get it but who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device
finally someone who owns both! i hope exact rototilling sees this.
Posted via Mobile Device