Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My throttle cable broke and they replaced it for free. My mower doesn't go up hills as well as it did new. It could be lighter. It could have a more powerful engine. Those are all the negative things I can think of. Over all it is a great mower. I have enjoyed it a lot. I have mowed 20 lawns each week with it for 3+ months so far. I mulch almost all the time and it does a good job. When one bags it fills the bag up really tight at nice. It fits through 95% of gates where I live. I have the mulching kit, and frankly I can't tell a difference between using it and using just the standard plug. I mow solo and can mow 15 lawns before it runs out of gas. For me that's about 7 hours of mowing including driving edging etc.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

7 hrs on a tank of fuel is awesome. I am lucky to get 1 hour before I am empty. I have Timemasters with tiny fuel tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bought a Exmark 30 to complement the Toro turfmaster that is waiting to get a new cable. Like the controls better. The wheel height adjustment isn't a big deal since we don't change height that often, however the toro is quicker and easier than the exmark but not by much. I do like the upper controls better on the Exmark much easier and less cumbersome. Quality of cut is the same on both mowers.
Sorry Exact only timemaster I could find they wanted 1200 for and got this one for 1699. Well worth the 500 difference to me to have the Kawi engine.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Geeze this thread is never ending! My 30" Exmark is still working great! Growth slowed down on most lawns allowing us to mulch a lot now. Mulching is better than I've ever seen ANY mower do. Random leaves on the lawn just disappear. I always thought my troybilt 33" was the best mulching mower ever, the exmark/toro is far better. If it had a few more horsepower it would definitely be improved though. I've not moved mine out of the 3" setting, mostly because it's a HIGH 3", realistically it's more like 3.25+" and the jump to the 3.5" setting would be far too tall. Would be nice if they had 1/4" increments of adjustment like the big mowers. Still use mine mainly on back yards, but also do some small lawns with it (front and back) just because it's just as fast as the 48" walker when you factor in the loading and unloading time of both.

Don't know how someone would be able to break the throttle cable, it's like 4 inches long, lol. After reading this thread and about the transmission issues a month or so back I actually tipped mine on its side (only partly) to see it better. I know now that I was very wrong about how I assumed the transmission worked. No real problems with mine, but it is a bit unnerving when you pull the bail up fully and it doesn't want to climb a hill. Makes me wonder what's slipping when it does this and if that slippage is going to cause a failure. It's still as strong as it was when new though...

I bought this to stand in for my 36" Walker, and still have no regrets. The cut quality is FAR better, trailer space it takes up is 1/3, plus the weight difference. Will still need the 36" walker for leaf season though, no way are we going to going to fight the little bag versus a 6.7 bushel dump hopper. The Exmark does NOT have enough horse power to mulch through deep leaves either.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Might try the TimeMaster blades for mulching only since there is less power soaked up and the grass is not over processed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Geeze this thread is never ending! My 30" Exmark is still working great! Growth slowed down on most lawns allowing us to mulch a lot now. Mulching is better than I've ever seen ANY mower do. Random leaves on the lawn just disappear. I always thought my troybilt 33" was the best mulching mower ever, the exmark/toro is far better. If it had a few more horsepower it would definitely be improved though. I've not moved mine out of the 3" setting, mostly because it's a HIGH 3", realistically it's more like 3.25+" and the jump to the 3.5" setting would be far too tall. Would be nice if they had 1/4" increments of adjustment like the big mowers. Still use mine mainly on back yards, but also do some small lawns with it (front and back) just because it's just as fast as the 48" walker when you factor in the loading and unloading time of both.

Don't know how someone would be able to break the throttle cable, it's like 4 inches long, lol. After reading this thread and about the transmission issues a month or so back I actually tipped mine on its side (only partly) to see it better. I know now that I was very wrong about how I assumed the transmission worked. No real problems with mine, but it is a bit unnerving when you pull the bail up fully and it doesn't want to climb a hill. Makes me wonder what's slipping when it does this and if that slippage is going to cause a failure. It's still as strong as it was when new though...

I bought this to stand in for my 36" Walker, and still have no regrets. The cut quality is FAR better, trailer space it takes up is 1/3, plus the weight difference. Will still need the 36" walker for leaf season though, no way are we going to going to fight the little bag versus a 6.7 bushel dump hopper. The Exmark does NOT have enough horse power to mulch through deep leaves either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign Landscaping View Post
Both mowers are stock. I started with the timemaster last year and then went with a turfmaster this year as business was growing in that market. I think expected to much from the turfmaster since it was a commercial grade mower but in all actuality the timemaster is lighter and more comfortable to use. Now which one will hope up better only time will tell but I'm very happy with both just don't expect the turfmaster to outperform the timemaster because at best their equal with the timemaster being less straining on the body
Posted via Mobile Device
It would be totally hilarious if the TimeMaster's engine does in fact have more grunt power/torque than the Kawi powered commercial version.....? It is the Briggs Pro series you know....

Less money
Easy stow handle that doubles as easier to mow under low branches
Insanely easy one handed drive operation.
37# lighter.

Tiny fuel tank with run time of just 60-70 min....

Only advantage for me [TurfMaster] would being able to mow above 4".

Yes I mow at the max height on some lawns.

This is where Ybravo has messed up badly. 3.5" max mowing height.

Using a different blade gains another 3/8"+....
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 06-30-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am only getting 53 minutes per tank of fuel on my Timemaster with Turfmaster blades. Is this terrible? The mower had it's issues when i bought it, dying for no apparent reason. They changed the fuel filter, now it runs fine except it takes about a minute for the engine to speed up to full power on 1st start of each morning.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I am only getting 53 minutes per tank of fuel on my Timemaster with Turfmaster blades. Is this terrible? The mower had it's issues when i bought it, dying for no apparent reason. They changed the fuel filter, now it runs fine except it takes about a minute for the engine to speed up to full power on 1st start of each morning.
No cause for alarm just yet. Just pull it off the trailer ASAP and let it warm up...fiddle with something else for a minute. Once the engine breaks in it will have more grunt...possibly more than the heavier TurfMaster.....? Just might get 57 minutes of run time then....?

I do wish there was an upgrade for the tiny gas tank....it is a bit of a PITA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2nd transmission went out today. Thank you Exmark. Shop is closed on 4th so my week is screwed.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive been limping mine along with the broken drive cable, but its scheduled to go in for repair on the 9th of July. I mentioned that the transmission didn't seem as good as when I first got it, so they will be looking at that too.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac