Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the carb problem goes, the dealer took the carb apart and cleaned it up for me, so the float shouldn't be stuck at this point. I may try turning the fuel off after each cutting and see if that helps.

Update on the blade engagement....I removed the inspection cover, and discovered a LOT of dirt and crud built up under the belt covers, so I pulled it completely off. At first glance, it appears that you have to take off the front guard to get that black plastic belt cover off, but you don't. It will come off with a bit of finesse.

I then hosed off all the crud. Important tip:

In order to get all the crap out of there, I had to hose it down from the top, and then lift the mower up, and from the underside....put the hose up under the deck and into the area where there is an opening to the belts. The amount of crap up in there was surprising. After cleaning it all out, the blade engagement seemed to work better, but when I went to use it on a lawn, it was still a No go. As soon as I got into any decent grass, the blade speed dropped, and wouldn't cut right. Lift the mower up out of the grass, and you can hear the blade speed come back up to normal. Im pretty sure its the belt out of adjustment still...so I will have to go back and try to accomplish that procedure another day. I'm trying to avoid another trip back to the dealer. Despite the recent problems, I still like the mower. I also should mention that here in West Texas, not all the lawns we cut are nice green grass (at least not the ones I have to cut). Some lawns are lush green, and some are dust bowls that are bumpy, uneven, and full of rocks, gravel and dirt. That stuff is hard on a mower...so I feel I should mention those things in addition to discussing the recent problems im having.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Never really had the problem. We had modified blades for ours with super high lift wings welded on them.
Although thinking on it when we used the mulch blade with the bag on we did have a strip of cut grass left on the left side. For that we made sure the plastic chute was seated right and cleaned the bag. I also think that is when we upped the rpm on the kawi engine a bit.
Sorry been a long time since we had those problems.

What are you cutting?? could be the difference as we cut mainly Rye grass and some Fescue.
Most of the lawns here are a mix of whatever was on sale at the hardware store multiplied with a very overzealous mix of nitrogen. Most lawns have to be bagged. Were the hilift wings custom made or purchased. How well does the plastic chute work, I still haven't bought one. The 30 so far has completely replaced the 26 but I will be keeping it for backup and want it at its best. As for super lawn, I don't recall ever seeing their rigs but, I run a real tight mowing route.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
Most of the lawns here are a mix of whatever was on sale at the hardware store multiplied with a very overzealous mix of nitrogen. Most lawns have to be bagged. Were the hilift wings custom made or purchased. How well does the plastic chute work, I still haven't bought one. The 30 so far has completely replaced the 26 but I will be keeping it for backup and want it at its best. As for super lawn, I don't recall ever seeing their rigs but, I run a real tight mowing route.
The shop we bought the exmarks at made them. Looks pretty easy if you can find the wing material and can weld fairly decent. pm me your number and I can text you a pic.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't want to read thru all the pages to this thread, but I just bought a exmark commercial 30 last week and maybe this has already been brought up. So far I like it a lot, but the one thing I noticed today was that when I put it at 3 inches, the back tire on the discharge side was rubbing (wheel rubbing on the deck). Has anyone else had this happen. It is not bad, but is just slightly rubbing and makes a noise if I am just pushing it around when it is shut off. I think maybe I twisted the wheel a little or something. It is fine at every other cut height. Very close to rubbing at 3.5 inches. Anyone have this issue.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thought I'd chime in- picked up the Exmark 30 today- really preferred this unit to the Toro commercial 30. Mowed about 4 tenths of an acre with it in mulching mode. Really impressed with this mower. Blade and drive bails are simple and comfortable. Engine ate thru some really overgrown and thick Bermuda, barely missed a beat and mulched the clippings wonderfully. Great looking cut on zoysia as well. Blew through everything at full speed and cut and mulching results were great. Just way more efficient than the 21 and very simple to operate and maneuver. If it proves to be reliable I think this is a fantastic mower. Plus you can finance these at a legit 0% for 36 months. Not a fan of consumer credit cards but ill never turn down a true 0% loan!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update on my exmark 30. After celebrating for 3 days because west Texas actually got some rain, I was hoping to get back to mowing with the exmark today. Well, I went to start it up, and it was hydro locked. My first thought was I had water get into the cylinder somehow and was thinking to myself.....WTF??

So I pulled the spark plug. when the spark plug was removed, a few ounces of fuel came pouring out. After that I put it back together and it started, but was running too rich, and would not lean out. To be absolutely sure I still had a carb problem, I turned the fuel valve off while the mower was running. Sure enough, as it started running out of fuel, it leaned out and started to run correctly before surging (and starving out of fuel).

That tells me that there is still a seating problem in the carb in my opinion...so BACK to Lubbock we will go (1.5 hours one way).....UGGG. I should probably mention, and will now recommend at this point, that yall shut the fuel valves off when done mowing each yard. For the first few months I had the mower, it wasn't necessary but now with the latest issue, it might be something worthwhile to prevent problems similar to mine.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We make it a habit to close the fuel lines when the mowers are on the trailer. It seems to help us. We have done this since day 1. One day we forgot and the one engine that day was flooding alot. I hope things work out with your exmark. It sounds like your belt needs to be adjusted by your dealership. We have to adjust the wheel engagement handle all the time. It seems to have to be adjusted more when we have high heat. We love our mowers. They just need to work some little things out. We are still waiting for Kawaski to send us a metal bracket for our engine. I hate to weld a four month old exmark. I love kawi engines, but have not been happy with there response time getting parts out. It's going on three weeks. It's sad that some companies talk a big game about getting parts out over night and then they don't follow through. I guess thats the real world, sadly. That's why we run our bussiness right and don't just talk bs. If a problem does come up we fix it right there and take responsiblity for the mistake. I would respect kawi if they called me. I still think big companies miss the boat by not keeping in touch with the people buying there products. How many of you have tried to get a hold of a big company, they put you on hold forever, they don't want to talk to you. It's sad!!!! Just venting!!! You put out a good engine talk to people!!!! Loyalty is a two way street!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

My dealership finally got my metal bracket in from kawaski. Three and a half weeks later. Like I said earlier a good engine, but strong need for better response time and better communication with the people paying there checks.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious if Toro/ExMark are warrantying ALL (30" mower) transmissions for 2 years...or just the ones that were replaced due to defects?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it's a two year warranity on all exmark 30 inch lawn mowers transmissions. That is a good question. I know the three 30's I have are given a two year warrinty, but I did get all three trannies replaced. Honestly I do feel exmark has the tranny problem under control. I haven't heard of any one having tranny problems lately.