Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as mulching leaves in the fall, I would say with the exmark 30 you could do small to moderate leaf mulching if you slow the machine down. I had a few birch trees dropping leaves and some after storm trees losing there leaves and the exmark 30 did a great job mulching the leaves. I was surprised. As far as large amounts I would say no. Your idea of cutting in the fall weekly and mulcing leaves is what we do. Alot times what we do is mulch first then bag and drop them on the street. We have curb side pick up with all our properties. I charge extra if there is a large amount of leaves. I charge a mowing price if the leaves are not bad. I figure you don't have edging and string trimming to do at that time it works out well in our favor. If any one skips a week I charge more. I cut weekly on most of my properties till the end of November. The people like it because there property always looks good. The last cut I will blow the beds out mulch and bag leaves and charge some extra. Some people have me blow the beds out during my weekly cuts were I will charge extra. People like this method better then them raking and there not being hit with a five hundred dollar bill and there property always looks good. If there is a large amount of leaves we blow them to the street or blow and tarp to street, then we go over the property with the mowers. Our properties are all half acre and down, most are 10,000 to 12,000 square feet so it doesn't take long to maintain this size. Last point if it's real wet I do think it would be a problem to mulch with the 30's.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

sildoc, glad to see you got yourself a 30 inch exmark. I knew you'd like it better then the toro. I agree the controls are better. I think the cut was better with the exmark when I compared the two. Just my two cents!!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
sildoc, glad to see you got yourself a 30 inch exmark. I knew you'd like it better then the toro. I agree the controls are better. I think the cut was better with the exmark when I compared the two. Just my two cents!!
Cuts are the same, but the toro leaves turds on the sidewalks, really pisses me off. Just the few little things that are different between the two make a huge difference in how well they handle and I am sure the longevity of the machine.
Now to hope we have no problems with it as the closest dealer is 3 hours away.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Only have about 6-8 hours on mine, but still really impressed with it. I'm mulching a yard that has some THICK bermuda. I mean this stuff grows at an ugodly rate and I'm mowing weekly so I'm taking off a lot more than would be recommended and on top of that its usually still moist from dew. Ive got the back at 3" and the front at 2.5" and it really does a good job, but it'll bog down pretty hard in some of the crazy thick spots. I think this is one of the complaints I've read about the mower (and lots of other mowers for that matter), but it's a 179cc engine- Of course it's gonna bog down in junk like that if you're mulching. I don't know why people think you can just mow through a damn rain forest without it bogging down - I think some people's expectations are a little unrealistic. I just fly back over it a second time and it leaves everything perfect. I guess I could bag it, but I can double mow it faster than I could bag it in one pass. Love the tires on this thing as well. THe mower certainly does the job 40% faster, as advertised and it's a breeze to operate.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I was out mowing with my Exmark 30 today, I think I have a single statement that will sum up what the 30 DOES and DOES NOT do. Ive been using mine since spring, but the verdict is still out on how well it will handle leaves this fall. in my opinion....

The exmark 30 shines in areas where you can substitute IT for a 21 inch mower and the terrain isn't too hilly, but it will not replace what a 32 inch or bigger walk behind can do, because it just doesn't have the same amount of power.

Hope this helps people that are considering the mower, and are still on the fence.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, jury is still out.

About the only feature that really intrigues me is the rear bagging option...which makes for a much more narrow mower compared to my Q32 wb with an Accelerator.

I realize we're not even close to leaf season, but:
For those that mulch with their 30s, do you get much blowout? And if so, is it mainly out front?

My ol' Toro SR 21 was a great mulcher since it had little to no blowout which I'll attribute to having just one blade...and therefore less turbulence under the deck. Of course it can't consume huge piles like a competent wb can.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blowout is pretty much nonexistent,the double blade really helps to eliminate the issue

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why have so many cables been wearing quickly and breaking on these mowers?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
why have so many cables been wearing quickly and breaking on these mowers?
Improperly tensioned cables that are always being asked to stretch rather than hold - would be my guess. Since cables don't stretch...they end up fraying/breaking.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For those that have had this Kawi engine on other machines. ( I thought I heard it was also on the Exmark 26) How long does it hold up? What's the most hours you've gotten out of one so far give or take? Also after using that engine on smaller machines, do you think that they will need to eventually put one with more hp to properly run the 30 or Turfmaster? Thanks, Matt
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13