Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it still switches between methods. It partially discharges or bags and mulches the rest.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMo View Post
it still switches between methods. It partially discharges or bags and mulches the rest.
Wow, so one could technically have the discharge chute on/open while also bagging...ALL while they're partially mulching??? Neato!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-21-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Wow, so one could technically have the discharge chute on/open while also bagging...ALL while they're partially mulching??? Neato!
technically you would block the discharge if your bagging. Discharging with mulch kit installed throws out less than half of the grass it would without the mulch kit and when bagging it doesnt fill the bag up as fast.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did I mention I HATE bagging but love QOC?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMo View Post
technically you would block the discharge if your bagging. Discharging with mulch kit installed throws out less than half of the grass it would without the mulch kit and when bagging it doesnt fill the bag up as fast.
Are you dreaming/envisioning with me? Forget technicalities. Put the mulch kit (NOT the mulch plug) on...open the discharge chute and put the discharge deflector on...AND put the bagger on. I would think the hi-lift blades would be optimal, unless some even higher-lift blades are available. But now we're talking the need (yet again) for more HP.

Standing up the grass///standing the grass UP is ALL about airflow. With the air exiting from under the deck via the bagger-chute and side-discharge chute only makes sense.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

any change the jets in the carb on these machines
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Are you dreaming/envisioning with me? Forget technicalities. Put the mulch kit (NOT the mulch plug) on...open the discharge chute and put the discharge deflector on...AND put the bagger on. I would think the hi-lift blades would be optimal, unless some even higher-lift blades are available. But now we're talking the need (yet again) for more HP.

Standing up the grass///standing the grass UP is ALL about airflow. With the air exiting from under the deck via the bagger-chute and side-discharge chute only makes sense.
I have done this for years on my Husqvarna 21's... side discharge while bagging at the same time. However they have a few advantages..

1) Deep domed deck design, the distance between the blade and deck is more than a standard stamped steel deck, more room for the air to move, and more clippings capable of being processed at one time

2) These mowers come stock with hi-lift blades, and on paper they should work great...but I found a hi lift gator blade replacement and it has worked 10 times better. The clippings that cannot be processed any further go out the discharge chute while the longer clippings get put in the bag. The bag will fill almost all the way up with this setup, only about 15% of the clippings are put in the bag.

My Husqvarna 21" with a 190cc Briggs engine with this setup can EASILY tackle thick overgrown properties without any hesitation. They will not bog down, they will mow GREAT when wet, and the cut is best in class as you have two very important things happening simultaneously - air has more places to go, and clippings have more places to go.

Valk is 100% correct on this suggestion, the only problem I see is deck design (open) and factory low lift blades won't create enough suction. With some modification this mower can cut tall, thick, and wet grass with NO problems.
You need baffles and hi lift blades, the exmark 30 blades might do the trick.

This setup also eliminates the need to double cut in some scenario's. But gives your mower 10 times the power and 10 times the cutting performance if set up properly.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Notice how the bag is attached (mulch plug removed) while the side discharge is attached at the same time????
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a chance to briefly demo the Exmark 30 last week and to be honest I'm not that impressed.

First of I think it needs an aluminum deck to make it lighter, also this steel deck had one of the ugliest welding I've seen in a while (not relevant if it holds up).

Second I don't like the single speed slip tranny, even on a light slope at the dealer it was hard to control uphill.

Finally I don't get the pricing: $1800 is a bit excessive in my opinion. You're paying $600 over a 21" for 2 small spindles, a belt, and a few lbs of steel.

I did not cut any grass with it so can't comment on that. I won't bash equipment I don't own but to me this exmark 30" appears to be poor value.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've side discharged while bagging with my 30" many times. Works slick! Obviously reduces the amount going into the bag, but not so much going out the chute that it's left laying on top either. Yes the air flow into the bag is reduced, obviously, there's a big hole in the side of the deck, so it won't pack the bag full like it normally does.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
I've had a chance to briefly demo the Exmark 30 last week and to be honest I'm not that impressed.

First of I think it needs an aluminum deck to make it lighter, also this steel deck had one of the ugliest welding I've seen in a while (not relevant if it holds up).

Second I don't like the single speed slip tranny, even on a light slope at the dealer it was hard to control uphill.

Finally I don't get the pricing: $1800 is a bit excessive in my opinion. You're paying $600 over a 21" for 2 small spindles, a belt, and a few lbs of steel.

I did not cut any grass with it so can't comment on that. I won't bash equipment I don't own but to me this exmark 30" appears to be poor value.
It's the preferred mower with my guys. First one off the trailer.