Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
They sent out a recall letter. It is a simple washer on the spindle that wasn't good enough. They replace the washer and nut.
So are we talking the blade keeper spacer do dad and spindle bolt...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I saw it was for blade breakage, and effected all models, toro, exmark, and the residential. Not sure what a nut and bolt on top of the spindles has to do with blade breakage... I've not called my dealer yet, but hoping i don't have to haul it an hour to get something that simple fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I saw it was for blade breakage, and effected all models, toro, exmark, and the residential. Not sure what a nut and bolt on top of the spindles has to do with blade breakage... I've not called my dealer yet, but hoping i don't have to haul it an hour to get something that simple fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just talked with exmark and confirmed it was still the same recall that they sent out. He assured me it has not happened on any exmark and only the toro turfmaster, however since they are similar they recalled also.
Said there is a bolt that loosens and causes the spindle to wobble a bit eventually wearing and causing blades to hit each other.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess if a user of a mower is out of touch and clueless a busted spacer washer could cause a blade to part Co. With a mower in an extreme case.

I have to drop by my Exmark dealer here before next Friday...will hit them up for the full details.

I have a 2012 TimeMaster but I still want to know Exactly what the deal is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez, I hate misinformation.

From the recall notice I received:
Quote:
The mower spindle on the left side has a washer that can deform and allow the spindle to loosen. If the spindle loosens, the blade on the left side may fracture due to excessive vibration.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, not spreading "misinformation" Just the facts that it gave on the recall notice I received both in the mail and Email.

Thank you for those who gave more details on the matter, at least I know now that it's not a direct blade issue.

Last edited by Jason Rose; 01-10-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

See if this works... This is the recall notice I received.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Well today I picked up my new mower. I went ahead and purchased the Exmark 30 with the mulching kit for under 1900 bucks AFTER tax AND a 4 year w/no interest plan. I know, I know...shoulda paid cash, but it just wasnt in the cards and I couldnt pass up this deal. I didnt get a chance to use it yet, but as we head into this season, I'll put updates in here as I get to use it over time and different conditions for others to read.

After finally getting my hands on it, i was surprised that it doesnt FEEL to much heavier than my honda 21. I'm sure it weighs more, but its balanced fairly well. It will require more effort in the turns, and pulling it backwards when necessary, but overall my first impression is a positive one, and it appears to be built very well. Time will tell on how well it performs, so subsribe if you like, and I'll try to post a few updates in here as we go through the seasons, and different conditions. Because I purchased the mulch kit, i can also compare the bagging, vs stock blades mulching vs Mulching bladees and baffle installed.
I read in this thread or another that you said the Honda HRC mulched better. I was curious as to what height you cut at? I use a Honda HRX now when I need to go down to a smaller mower, & it mulches fine at 3". They just break down to often since they are not a commercial mower. Does the Exmark mulch well at 3" on a lawn that is cut weekly and has a starting height of say 5 to 6 inches.? And assuming the lawn is dry.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
I read in this thread or another that you said the Honda HRC mulched better. I was curious as to what height you cut at? I use a Honda HRX now when I need to go down to a smaller mower, & it mulches fine at 3". They just break down to often since they are not a commercial mower. Does the Exmark mulch well at 3" on a lawn that is cut weekly and has a starting height of say 5 to 6 inches.? And assuming the lawn is dry.
I can say that mine mulches very well. With just the mulch plug. Cutting off 2 to 3 inches is about the limit though if the grass is good and thick. In the summer months we would mulch almost everything, only hangup is when it's really dewy in the morning, would have to bag some.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

FYI: TimeMaster 30 blades are dirt cheap at Home Depot. Almost worthless for bagging but for side discharge and mulching they have some advantages.
Posted via Mobile Device