Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been trying for years to get heavily into mulching but haven't been able to because so many lawns still have to be bagged. Single blade systems just do not mulch well. The big walk behinds that I've seen need the side plate screwed in which takes time. The 30" with it's ease of switching between modes takes care of all that. I at this time can't see why somebody would want to limit it's ability by putting in a mulching baffle. Yes this comment is region specific. I have never mulched as much as I have this last year. I question the sanity of going over a lawn multiple times just to mulch when you can bag it and throw it in the truck and go

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
I've been trying for years to get heavily into mulching but haven't been able to because so many lawns still have to be bagged. Single blade systems just do not mulch well. The big walk behinds that I've seen need the side plate screwed in which takes time. The 30" with it's ease of switching between modes takes care of all that. I at this time can't see why somebody would want to limit it's ability by putting in a mulching baffle. Yes this comment is region specific. I have never mulched as much as I have this last year. I question the sanity of going over a lawn multiple times just to mulch when you can bag it and throw it in the truck and go
You have a valid argument. I'm willing to experiment, for $66. Given that the blades are not completely sealed from each other, I'm curious about how much clipping transfer there will be. If it doesn't work out, I'll try the standard eXmark "Flow Control" baffle. I'm just trying things, since I can't deal with this mower windrowing and blowing clippings out from under the right side. Give me a few months, until the weather warms up and I'm mowing again.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You have a valid argument. I'm willing to experiment, for $66. Given that the blades are not completely sealed from each other, I'm curious about how much clipping transfer there will be. If it doesn't work out, I'll try the standard eXmark "Flow Control" baffle. I'm just trying things, since I can't deal with this mower windrowing and blowing clippings out from under the right side. Give me a few months, until the weather warms up and I'm mowing again.
I've found that sometimes bagging with the side discharge chute open will cure the problem as will running the one pass with the wheel to the inside of the last pass(hard to explain)

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 01-29-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I've found that sometimes bagging with the side discharge chute open will cure the problem as will running the one pass with the wheel to the inside of the last pass(hard to explain)
Nope. I understand.

I simply don't want to bag, if I can avoid it. I've got a couple properties that are WB-sized, but, can't use one on. And, I've got a bank the sod has been rutted by another LCO with a WB. The 30" was supposed to be the perfect solution. Not yet, but, working toward that.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Nope. I understand.

I simply don't want to bag, if I can avoid it. I've got a couple properties that are WB-sized, but, can't use one on. And, I've got a bank the sod has been rutted by another LCO with a WB. The 30" was supposed to be the perfect solution. Not yet, but, working toward that.
I've yet to master the learning curve-it keeps life interesting

Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I've yet to master the learning curve-it keeps life interesting
If not expensive, too.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I really hate bagging and try to avoid it. I often find cutting just once with the higher lift TurfMaster blades [with my Toro TimeMaster] and bagging is often easier and faster than double cutting in mulch mode or worse triple cutting with my larger WB. It WILL NOT deliver the same manicured double cut of the larger WBís but honestly I find it acceptable enough....especially towards the end of the day.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The mulch kit on this mower is merely a bolt on front baffle.

The Exmark may already have this bolted on from the factory...?

Can someone confirm.

Honestly the way this mowers deck builds up debris in the front [low presure area] is much like having the mulch kit there. I don't think it detracts from bagging at all.

Someone chime in who has tried this back and forth.

Posted via Mobile Device
I have not switched back and forth, but about 1 month into the mowing season in 2013 I got the mulching kit and put it on. I did not remove it the entire year. My initial thought was that the kit didn't do anything. I really couldn't tell a difference. I fear it may make the mower bog down more without providing noticeable results. I may try starting 2014 without it and see if I notice a difference.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I have not switched back and forth, but about 1 month into the mowing season in 2013 I got the mulching kit and put it on. I did not remove it the entire year. My initial thought was that the kit didn't do anything. I really couldn't tell a difference. I fear it may make the mower bog down more without providing noticeable results. I may try starting 2014 without it and see if I notice a difference.
Hey, hey, hey! You're not supposed to tell me that. I don't even have the stupid thing bolted in, yet.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They really do mulch amazingly clean with just putting the plug in. Now if they would just build a higher horsepower engine that would fit on it... Something around 8 to 9 HP that fits in the same footprint would turn the machine from great to amazing, lol