Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
I have seen some people say " it doesn't go up hill all that well." What is your experience with them, with the bag full, going up hills? I normally go side to side with any steep hills, either using a 21" Honda or walk behind. Are these similar to 21" self propelled mowers, where after a while the transmission and belt start to wear and you can't go into another gear to compensate for that? I don't know if you can adjust the belt. Buying a new belt might be the answer to the problem. Many 21" mowers go 4 MPH new, but after a year the trans is shot & will move at 2 MPH & you have to push to assist the speed. Are your mowers old or new?
This is where I would like to see improvement on this mower. For what we do it is only barely adequate. We mow mostly flat smaller properties and the trans needs a push to get it moving. I believe there is a way toro/exmark can make a better trans and this would be a simple no brainer to buy mower. You can adjust the cable to help but is only a little help.
None the less we will never go back to a 21, just doesn't make sense.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have seen some people say " it doesn't go up hill all that well." What is your experience with them, with the bag full, going up hills? I normally go side to side with any steep hills, either using a 21" Honda or walk behind. Are these similar to 21" self propelled mowers, where after a while the transmission and belt start to wear and you can't go into another gear to compensate for that? I don't know if you can adjust the belt. Buying a new belt might be the answer to the problem. Many 21" mowers go 4 MPH new, but after a year the trans is shot & will move at 2 MPH & you have to push to assist the speed. Are your mowers old or new?
Keep in mind what machine you're referring to. The three 30" mowers have different components, in various places. For instance, the TimeMaster is known to not go up hills very well and it's the only one with the Personal Pace drive system. That aspect is totally different from the TurfMaster and eXmark Commercial 30.

My TimeMaster is virtually new and will not pull itself up any hill or up out of a neighborhood ditch. It's going in for the recall and I'll have it looked at, then.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I was in the market for a walk behind for mowing difficult to work areas such as steep hills you mention. Part of me really wanted to buy an Exmark 30 for the time savings over a 21. So I demoed one in January for a few days. There was not any mowing to speak of but I used it on my regular round of yard clean ups mostly mulching a few leaves and some bagging. I tried it on steep hills and it did not fare well. When going side to side it wanted to slide down the hill mostly due to the weight it seemed and when turning around it was a handful. When going up hills it seemed to slow down noticeably and going down hills it wants to drag you down the hill. In a nutshell it is not a hill machine. But part of me wanted this machine for lawns or areas I do not want to put a zero turn on. One thing I would like to see different is a slower speed transmission, I could just barely squeeze the bail for a comfortable walking speed for me. This left my hands mostly open which became uncomfortable after awhile. Maybe the cable can be adjusted to fix this? The engine seems to have decent power, I mulched some pretty thick leaves to test it and it passed IMO. I think it would perform in any normal situation. In the end I liked things about this machine but it did not fit my special needs so I went with another 21.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Those are great and useful pics!

Can that insertable chute arm that slides into the mowing deck cutting area every be hit by the blades if it were to become dislodged?

I'm wondering if this setup would actually enhance side-discharge~ability in ideal conditions? It appears it would speed up the discharge flow for possibly better clipping dispersal...but at the expense of clumping if wet/moist...?

Looking forward to your ongoing reviews.
Got my phone sorted. Here are the pics, with the discharge chute installed. As you can see, I'm not sure the discharge tab can help direct anything out, with the mulch baffle in place. There's no real way for it to direct the clippings. It might just be a some clippings getting mulched and some getting discharged. For sure, I'll report back, on its performance.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the details and pictures, the ability to mulch while discharging would be great in the spring where mulching is simply out of the question, this way some would be mulched and the excess would get discharged preventing too much gunk from building up while mulching and causing the mower to bog.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Thanks for the details and pictures, the ability to mulch while discharging would be great in the spring where mulching is simply out of the question, this way some would be mulched and the excess would get discharged preventing too much gunk from building up while mulching and causing the mower to bog.
My biggest concern is how the discharge tab may cause clippings to clump and drop, because of airflow disruption. Also, I'm afraid the baffle is going to interrupt the exiting airflow. Obviously, it's just speculation, right now. But, those are my preliminary thoughts.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I was in the market for a walk behind for mowing difficult to work areas such as steep hills you mention. Part of me really wanted to buy an Exmark 30 for the time savings over a 21. So I demoed one in January for a few days. There was not any mowing to speak of but I used it on my regular round of yard clean ups mostly mulching a few leaves and some bagging. I tried it on steep hills and it did not fare well. When going side to side it wanted to slide down the hill mostly due to the weight it seemed and when turning around it was a handful. When going up hills it seemed to slow down noticeably and going down hills it wants to drag you down the hill. In a nutshell it is not a hill machine. But part of me wanted this machine for lawns or areas I do not want to put a zero turn on. One thing I would like to see different is a slower speed transmission, I could just barely squeeze the bail for a comfortable walking speed for me. This left my hands mostly open which became uncomfortable after awhile. Maybe the cable can be adjusted to fix this? The engine seems to have decent power, I mulched some pretty thick leaves to test it and it passed IMO. I think it would perform in any normal situation. In the end I liked things about this machine but it did not fit my special needs so I went with another 21.
YBravo25. Great on hills and not a 21".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree! Great mower just needs another 6" width.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Just looked at the YBravo site, do the wheels adjust individually or together in some combination?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
What do you mean power issues? The Transmission or the Engine?
The engine, when we used it ,end of October grass was almost dorment and had been mowed the week before the trade show yet this machine, while mulching bogged awful .
This was mid day, dry conditions, cutting 1" off the top. Failed.
So I was courious if the company uped their game yet.
Posted via Mobile Device