Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

finally broke down and bought one last month (Exmark 30") and we love it, in fact we plan on getting another one soon. It has definitely sped things up, good cut even in the rain for the most part. very happy overall. The only thing I have noticed that I wish they would change is that the engine does seem just slightly underpowered. also wish it left a better stripe, other than those two things it is a great mower...so far.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
finally broke down and bought one last month (Exmark 30") and we love it, in fact we plan on getting another one soon. It has definitely sped things up, good cut even in the rain for the most part. very happy overall. The only thing I have noticed that I wish they would change is that the engine does seem just slightly underpowered. also wish it left a better stripe, other than those two things it is a great mower...so far.
How does it compare to your Toro TimeMaster 30's in power and ease of use....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

This has to be the most polarizing mower on the market right now. Some reviews I hear say the power is more than enough, others say they wish it had more power. Which one is it? That question likely depends on what you are using it for. I even hear quite a bit that the Timemaster with Briggs engine seems more powerful than its commercial cousin. Being in the market for one, I am more confused than ever
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm the opposite, I don't use or like mulching blades whatsoever, so I'd love to see a high lift blade strictly for bagging....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
This has to be the most polarizing mower on the market right now. Some reviews I hear say the power is more than enough, others say they wish it had more power. Which one is it? That question likely depends on what you are using it for. I even hear quite a bit that the Timemaster with Briggs engine seems more powerful than its commercial cousin. Being in the market for one, I am more confused than ever
Demo both, as only you will know which will fit your expectations best. I know, that's not the answer you're after.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
How does it compare to your Toro TimeMaster 30's in power and ease of use....?
Posted via Mobile Device
I only have Honda 21's so I cant' answer this question. The ease of use seems fine, the guys like it, say it is simple to run and it reduces time/fatigue.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
I am not saying it is awful (as far as power goes) only that it would be closer to perfect if it had a bit more. I only noticed it in longer, thicker, wet grass and even then it wasn't a huge deal. I can't speak for anybody else as to what, where and how they use it to come to their conclusion. In my opinion this mower is a huge plus for us as most accounts are under 10,000 sq. feet.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Powerwise, The Exmark 30 acts like a similarly powered 21"

A 15" blade cuts a path roughly 180sq in, 2 15" blades cuts roughly 360sq in.

A 21" blade covers about 350 sq in. The outer diameter of a circle adds up fast.

While the Exmark's blades total width is greater than a 21", their outward reach is greatly reduced.

If a 21 will bog, the 30 will bog, if a 21 will take it full speed, so will the 30. They put a lot of thought into the size of these mowers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post
Powerwise, The Exmark 30 acts like a similarly powered 21"

A 15" blade cuts a path roughly 180sq in, 2 15" blades cuts roughly 360sq in.

A 21" blade covers about 350 sq in. The outer diameter of a circle adds up fast.

While the Exmark's blades total width is greater than a 21", their outward reach is greatly reduced.

If a 21 will bog, the 30 will bog, if a 21 will take it full speed, so will the 30. They put a lot of thought into the size of these mowers
Posted via Mobile Device
I have remarks 21/26 and 30-I love all of them. The 21 is usable under all conditions. The 26 is usable in almost all conditions. The 30 has limitations but, when you work it within its limitations you cannot beat it. I think the power curve of the 30 would be well served by a set of gators. One thing your math doesn't take into account is the fact that the blade cut on a 30 extends beyond the path of the wheels-not so on a 21 or 26.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I should have said it acts a lot like my snapper 21" Hi Vac powerwise.

Another thing I noticed, is when the trans locks up, its a pain in the *** to move. Good news is my dealer has one in stock, and I don't need the mower till next week.
Posted via Mobile Device