Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

New fescue lawn

I figured I would post this up here for fun. This is my old house.

When I moved in there were a dead tree, and 3 small bushes and about 30 different types of grass. The previous owners just didn't take care of it at all. The neighbor said that every year he helped him re-seed with whatever seed he got at Homedepot that year. I believed that

Anyway I wanted an underground sprinkler system so when I got that I decided to spray, till, regrade the entire lawn! Got a straight line by using an old box and have my wife move it while I was spraying!
So I did a soil test and had it analyzed. Basically all I had to add was organic matter. So I hauled in 16 tons of compost. Put the old truck to use! Tilled in again, rolled several times and seeded with a local fescue grass seed blend, brand name overtime. Then watered and watered and fertilized. Awesome seed!

I did this in Late September! Everything came up great and weed intrusion was minimal. On the North side of my house it didn't fill in fully till next spring. Sprayed for weeds in the spring and had to reseed just about a 5 handfulls of seed in about 2 spots that next spring. Prep work was the key!

Results are well worth the work. I had the darkest greenest lawn on the block! Plus used the least amount of water, by far! Enjoy

Some close-ups with my old lawnboys

Anyway enjoy!

Last edited by wolfy; 03-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks really good.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Will fescue last through the summer in Kansas??

Here in the South I have to overseed everyyear.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Will fescue last through the summer in Kansas??

Here in the South I have to overseed everyyear.
Yes it will. Now for my new house with 1+ acre, I have fescue in the front and back. The front gets watered, the back no. The back is struggling. Everywhere I see people that don't water throughout the summer reseed in the spring or fall.

I am going to try my hand at some bermuda this late fall on the side of my house. Its isolated by sidewalks. I know several peoples opinions on bermuda and I am for it! Especially in the back large part of my yard. I would much rather have green grass in the summer then in the winter.

Anyway that will be another thread another time
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good and I just love that old GMC pickup. I have a 48 GMC myself but it's been retired from working and turned into a hotrod.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The problem here in bamaland is day time rain causes fescue to mildew away. I have sprinklers but literaly have to get up about 3 in the morning to water. After the last frost I bag all the grass and never cut it if its wet.

This past fall was the first time in almost 15 years I didnt overseed. Too many other projects going on right now, my yard shows it. I actually have 10 "lawns" the fescue is in the front of the house.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Looks good and I just love that old GMC pickup. I have a 48 GMC myself but it's been retired from working and turned into a hotrod.
Thanks!!! I love them they are just a blast. Yes this is all original! even the 5.14:1 Rear End

Would love to see some pics of your truck as well! A GMC even Awesome!!!

Its always fun to see the look on the faces of the guys that load the truck with multch or compost or rocks. They always say are "You sure it can handle that?" I always just smile and say just look underneath
They do and come back saying "You'll be fine"

Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to sidetrack your thread but I think it's cool you are still using it to haul stuff. I actually thought about slapping a black and gray version of my logo on the side of mine for advertising becasue it gets so much attention. Btw, Its a restomod GMC in a Chevy disguise

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Yes it will. Now for my new house with 1+ acre, I have fescue in the front and back. The front gets watered, the back no. The back is struggling. Everywhere I see people that don't water throughout the summer reseed in the spring or fall.

I am going to try my hand at some bermuda this late fall on the side of my house. Its isolated by sidewalks. I know several peoples opinions on bermuda and I am for it! Especially in the back large part of my yard. I would much rather have green grass in the summer then in the winter.

Anyway that will be another thread another time
If you are going to seed bermuda, plant that in the spring. Bermuda is a warm season grass, fescue is a cool season grass, they have different requirement's. This is some good info. http://www.google.com/search?q=bermu...I7GPCK_enUS320
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I had the option of using fescues down here. So much easier to rehab and maintain. More products and seed cultivars.
Posted via Mobile Device