Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats the best "Down-grade" truck?

Currently I have 08 ford F350 and a 01 Dodge Ram 2500 (which has multiple issues). Both of these trucks are gas hogs and I recently moved 25 miles from the area I service. Im planning on getting rid of the dodge for smaller truck. I need something that will allow me to do small jobs and pull a small trailer but at the same time fuel efficient enough to be used as a daily commuter. Of course money is a factor so i wont be buying anything new.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Any older Ford F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, should be dependable, and will get pretty good fuel mileage.
They can easily run 500,000 miles without major issues. Look for one that seems to be well cared for, with around 225,000 miles or so on it. Usually can find them like that, at very reasonable prices here.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats the best "Down-grade" truck?

I'm lookin to get more the 10-12 on the highway with no trailer.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2WD Ford Ranger with 5 spd.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the size of truck, maybe a chevy colorado, fuel efficient truck wise, just not really built for a lot of weight.

Not to many choices with that, I recently moved 50+ miles from my service area but luckily I have a chevy cavalier I am to commute with to my shop so gas doesn't kill me too bad. Just miss the literally 2 minute commute I use to have.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

All my 7.3 Powerstroke diesels, would get at least 15 18mpg on the highway, when not pulling a trailer. The small pickups will not do any better than that most likely.
I have a stumpgrinding business. To save on fuel costs, I have picked up a Ford Fiesta for my everyday driving, running errands, doing estimates, etc. The truck only leaves the driveway when I have a paying job to do. Before, I drove the truck everywhere, but not anymore.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

If I were you I'd get a 1500 Chevy/GMC.

My parents both have 1500 GMC Sierras and they both get almost 20 mpg. My mom just traded in her 06 for a 12, and the new model has pretty heavy duty suspension for a half ton truck. I've pulled my landscape trailer with my Dad's 02 1500 Sierra and its got plenty of power for what you're looking for. Reliable truck and very comfortable to drive around in. Its nice not having the hard ass suspension of a heavy duty truck rattling your brain and hurting you back every time you hit a bump. Also these trucks are so common you can find a great deal on one. '02 was a good year if you can find one without rust.

The slight gas savings from getting something little like a Colorado/Canyon or a Dakota really aren't worth the lack of utility with those little trucks. There's a reason you see so many 1500's around. I curse my 6.0 when I see that my parents are getting almost double the gas mileage in their trucks!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have two 1500 chevies 4.3 and they get fantastic fuel mileage .I have owned s10's,rangers,dakotas, and not one of them got any better mileage than my full size 1500 trucks ,and they had no room for anything ,and the dakota actually got much worse fuel mileage than the 1500's .
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The F150 with the 3.7 V6 does pretty well on fuel. I rented one a couple years ago and it got over 20 mpg on the highway at 70 plus mph. It did do a little more downshifting on hilly back roads than I thought it would, but it wasn't bad. The truck flat moved from a stand still. Towing up to a 5k trailer shouldn't be a problem at all.

I own an 08 Ranger with the 2.3 and manual transmission. I tow with it occasionally. It's way out of it's element even with 2k pounds of trailer. Step up to a V6 Ranger and it probably will be fine. But the F150 with the 3.7 will probably do better on fuel and is better equipped for towing.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why not just find a place to park your current truck near you route and just drive a car back and forth to work?