Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

V-Ride 61 owners? Can't get a demo in Pa without buying first...

Does anyone here use the large scag stander? My local dealer may have run out of resources to get this model in for me to physically look over prior to purchasing. It's not their fault that the distributor can't supply one but it does force us to consider other brands or reconsider doing anything before spring. We have plenty of undulating terrain in southeast pa so my main concerns are with hillside stability and scalping in comparison to midmount zero turns.

The fact that they apparently don't sell any here is maybe a little disconcerting but I think there's potential in the design to replace one or two sit-down machines and free up some space on the trailers. It also seems like the standing position would make it a little more encouraging for operators to hop off and move obstacles or pick up trash while mowing. We only use 60-61 inch machines though as this has proven to be more productive over the years.

Scag is my preferred brand because of the deck and the relatively high ground speed but I'd welcome any experience or opinion on other brands as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same issue down here in VA (Sheadoah Valley). I had to go to scag's website and request a demo. My dealer never had any and wasn't planning on getting any. Some people and dealers stick to what they know and don't like to try anything new. I actually went all the way above Lancaster PA to buy my vride. Main thing with standers is it takes awhile to get the hang of them and you won't like them the first time you take it on a slope. Never been on a 61in but the 48in is very good on hills after I removed the front weight. Downside is the kawis like the fuel and that 29hp will be at or above 1.5gph. Best of luck.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to let Scag know your dealers won't demo. My Scag dealer has a demo program with his distibutor and has a 48" VRide as a demo. I don't use stand on mowers but the VRide is a really nice machine. They take a little getting use to if you run regular Z's but I'm sure you will like it. It sounds like Scag needs some better dealers in ya'lls area.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought a 52" v-ride last season after using an Exmark Viking 48" for years, and it was the best decision I have ever made. It is great on hills, fast and cuts every bit as good as the exmark.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Been using a 48" V- Ride demo from my dealer. It's a demo for the local scag rep to let people try. Put 25 hours on it. Awesome machine. Bought it with full warranty for $5,000 and two 52" V-Rides at fleet price. Love these machines. I have 4 scag machines and will likely by a 72" Turf Tiger or Cheetah.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

dealer is good - they have a 52 we can demo but don't have a 61 in inventory. Scag rep is somewhat limited to what he can get in this area apparently but there is one in a crate at a dealership an hour away from here. It sounds like they might put it together so I can at least look it over.

This is a significant change to replace a 61inch z with a stand on machine so I decided to play it safe. Spoke to an exmark rep and they are willing to bring out a 60inch vantage, deere is providing a new stander (aka wright stander x) and I'm waiting to hear back from gravely that we can use a 61inch pro stance. I briefy ran a 52inch grandstand, 52inch gravely, 52inch new vantage with ecs controls, and a new 52inch scag (noticing a trend here...).

What I'd like to do is put these machines together at one of our properties and take some measurements, feel out the handling and ergonomic characteristics, and check the ease of maintenance on each machine with a few of my peers from the area. We did this back in '04 and it was a great way to narrow down. If the reps and dealers can accomodate a request like this I'll make sure to snap some pics and write up a review again on the key observable points (given the time of year) of each machine. We have a wright dealer here too that might be able to dig up a stander rh or zk to throw in the mix.

this is what we did back in '04 http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=63921
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander X is a beast and much faster and agile than the Scagg:
Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear the x is good - scag goes 11 mph so it would have a higher top speed vs 9.6 for the wright but I know useable speed could be an entirely different story...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I hear the x is good - scag goes 11 mph so it would have a higher top speed vs 9.6 for the wright but I know useable speed could be an entirely different story...
Scag use to go about 8.5 mph.
I know the Wright ZK goes 13 mph but it's a heavy pricey machine.
Like you said you can't cut at those speeds anyway.
I think most of the top brand name standers are pretty solid..
Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just buy it. You won't regret it. I have the 52 and its my go to mower. I plan to get a 36 vride to replace my 36 Viking. This is my first scag and I love the vride. Beats sitting down without a doubt. Also, top speed is not something anybody in this business should be making buying decisions on. If you cut lawns at 10 mph or faster, it will look like crap and you are doing low quality work in most conditions. Just my .02

The 52 vride top speed is 8.5 mph. I don't go that fast unless I'm headed towards the trailer to load up or cross a property while blades are disengaged. I probably cut in the 5 to 6 range for best quality of cut.

Last edited by MTenterprises; 03-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.