Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Indiana certified 3b

Anyone have any info on what kind of things to study up on? I'm planning on getting the study manual ordered from Purdue University but was just looking for some extra info as to what all is on the exams .. Any info would be appreciated.. Thanks...
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Get the book read it several times. Then take the 8hr class before the test. It's a cram session they will explain alot of the things in the book. Core was a piece of cake. I took that for granted thinking 3b would be the same. WRONG! I passed it the first time but it was difficult. Did I say read and understand the book. Good Luck to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with above. Read the book for whatever test you are taking several times. I highlighted parts and then wrote up a study sheet. You do realize you have to take the Core exam before the 3b or have to pass both in order to be licensed? Probably spent 8-12 hours per reading the books per test.

Cram session is a great idea but I would have studied quite a bit before and just use the cram session as a review. I am not sure how easy it would be to pass with a casual read of the book and then the cram session. The exams are not hard but if you don't respect them they can be failed!

For me the 3B was easiest followed by the core and then the 3A was the hardest.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i'm gonna get the study book for like $30 and take the workshop at Perdue but do the exams at a H&R block location or would it be easier to study like crazy do the cram session and take the test after? They have one March 18-19 but think i'm gonna wait a little bit more and read alot of the study book... Also what exactly is the core exam?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Core is basically rules, regulations, safety, label reading and PPE. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I will be at the workshop on the 18-19 also. Maybe I will see u there. I would recommend studying then take the class and test after.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you have to pass the core then you can move to the 3b or whatever test(s). So two books and two tests to become 3b certified. Plus you have to have the experience aspect covered or take the three day course at Purdue. I forgot about that part. Good times.

Here is a link to more info. I also forgot about the business license which you need insurance for.

http://www.isco.purdue.edu/pesticide...o_i_ca_3b.html

In the end it is not hard but it takes some time as there are some hoops to jump through and you will need to study.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Rodneyk have you had your 3b for awhile? I was wanting to know if they come out and do the audit as far as chemical storage before they will issue a license? I'm thinking of getting a seperate storage shed to set behind my shop for chemicals. What's your thoughts on storage practices?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been 3b for three years now. They called me to come out and chat after I had my license. I had my shop set up but did not have any chemicals there yet so we met at my house. The thing they seemed most concerned about was heated storage for the liquids which thankfully I do have. I have one metal cabinet that can be locked with liquids and my fert stacks on one wall of my shop. No floor drains, they don't like those either.

I don't think you need it and I don't think they are looking for separate storage but if you can swing it, sure it would be better. If you follow the basic storage guidelines in the study books you will be fine.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FYI there was a 3b class today at Purdue which was full. There is only one more scheduled which is also full. You'll have to wait til the fall schedule comes out to take it unless you want to just go to H&R block.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Core first. Then take the 3b. Its all in the book. work on Math, Math Math and Math. Know your plants and understand pest. Its in the book. like the others have said take the class. or you have to show you have worked for someone for i think its a year doing it, or you will not get a 3b business licence if you are doing this for your own. however if you are working for some one I think you can. but not a solo guy. Go to Perdu and take the two day class.
52" Toro T floating deck
48" Toro
3 toro PP mowers
stihl power tools
Eco Hedge Trimmer
2008 Tundra
brown bed edger
Turco bed edger
side walk edger
slit seeder
14 and 12' trailers