Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going For it

I like that you are ambitious, not limiting your self in what you want your Biz. to become. If I was smart I would have not chased after my retirement income and just broke away into this line of work 20 years ago. I know what I wanted to be doing, but working where I did paid pretty good for the first 10 years and I was comfortable doing that work too. (I went into retail it offered health insurance.)

If you play your cards right in 10-20 years, your Biz will the type that customers will seek-out, instead of you having to chase after.

I worked for a gardener in my younger years. He never advertised, no name and phone # plastered on the side of his truck. But for the 7 years I worked for him he had the same 125 customers. What a sweet job for me from the age of 12-19.

Hope your season is full of success.

Last edited by J & D Greens; 04-11-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: revise
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
I like that you are ambitious, not limiting your self in what you want your Biz. to become. If I was smart I would have not chased after my retirement income and just broke away into this line of work 20 years ago. I know what I wanted to be doing, but working where I did paid pretty good for the first 10 years and I was comfortable doing that work too. (I went into retail it offered health insurance.)

If you play your cards right in 10-20 years, your Biz will the type that customers will seek-out, instead of you having to chase after.

I worked for a gardener in my younger years. He never advertised, no name and phone # plastered on the side of his truck. But for the 7 years I worked for him he had the same 125 customers. What a sweet job for me from the age of 12-19.

Hope your season is full of success.

Thanks man good to hear when everyone I know tells me I'm crazy for giving up a job with benefits. Ig they don't understand working 80 hours a week 40 of which u hate and the other if which I love simple choice for me but I set the goal of 40 weekly accounts before I quit. I am getting closer and closer really hope I get those 70 yards I turned in!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought an enclosed trailer. Its a 6x12. Its used and needs a couple little fixes but got it for a grand with brand new tires. Also has an upgraded 5000lb axel which made me happy. Been debating this for awhile but working till midnight then coming home to unload trailer not to mention all my equipment sitting out while I'm at work it's the only good solution I could come up with. I will put pictures up later when I'm on a computer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  photo-13.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  photo-14.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  50.3 KB

Obviously have to get that name taken off and mine put on. Im assuming a heat gun would be best for that but correct me if I'm wrong. Also none of my trailers drivers side lights work assume this is my truck and not just a stroke of bad luck. Any tips on what wire that is or does it vary?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Does it work at all or only go out when you hit the brakes? If just the brakes you have a bad ground.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only tested it with blinkers but with my other trailer it's like the brake light is always on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got my last call from my last years customers. Guy pays me to do his moms picked it up about a month into the season so I was hoping it wouldn't be one where they find somone new every year. I had left him a message a week or so or go askig if I should keep her on the schedule. He called back and said hell yes man " we have been tying to find somone for four years it usually lasts about two weeks and then we are back doing it. With you we never got one complaint from her. Consider us a customer for life".
Felt good to hear that sometimes it feels like u can do everything right all year have one mishap and people are all over u. Never hear the good news only the bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Only tested it with blinkers but with my other trailer it's like the brake light is always on?
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never had a problem like that. You might wanna ask on the RamForumz for some help/diagram of the wiring.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok thanks i will check it out.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

You might also check your fuses. I had a trailer do some funky things light-wise once. I re-wired the trailer twice and changed some stuff on the truck only to find out a fuse had blown. No lights were OUT, just didn't work right. Moral of the story - check fuses before anything else. haha.

'04 Silverado
77"x12' Trailer

John Deere Z-Trak 737
2 Echo SRM-225 Trimmers
Husqvarna 125BT Blower
Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 16" Chainsaw
22" Toro Recycler
More to Come Soon!

My Website: www.hartsellelawncare.com