Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you figured out the problem with your trailer lights?
I hate dealing with electrical issues on vehicles but, have had to on so many that I have found that it is not as intimidating as it use to be.

I have found that because your plug is usually open to the environment. corrosion can cause all kinds of issues. I would trace your wiring to where it plugs into your truck. They usually use a wiring kit. pull that plug to see if there is any corrosion in that plug also. I use a spray that cleans and neutralizes the corrosion after fixing the problem I would apply electoral grease in the positive holes of the wiring only.

I do this to my old Jeep Cherokee XJ. In most of the electrical connections. So that the moisture from four wheeling won't get into those areas and cause all kinds of issues.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Managed to get a clean up done and some beds mulched today before rain started back up. No off to do some estimates and then back to the garage until friday it is looking like. Actaully had some flakes falling for a bit today pretty crazy weather we are getting here.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snow/Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Managed to get a clean up done and some beds mulched today before rain started back up. No off to do some estimates and then back to the garage until friday it is looking like. Actaully had some flakes falling for a bit today pretty crazy weather we are getting here.
Good to hear you are getting busy. Are you still working your full-time job and doing this on the side? Or have you jumped in with both feet? When I started my business I worked 40 per week for the first 3 seasons, about 20-30 hours a week on my Biz (20 accounts). I have been working Solo the whole time. Already having 20+ accounts before retiring was nice. It was not hard to get up to 35 account after retiring. I hope you will get to 40 accounts this year. It should be doable.

Here in Colorado, I have to welcome all the moisture we get this time of year. The past few springs yielded very little moisture which for us is vital to jump start our season. Most won't be turning on their sprinkler systems until the last week of April. Since this spring has had about a storm a week. Yards are already ready for first cuts and minor clean-up work. It will be so nice to start mowing regularly in May.

Good luck with those bids, David
Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am still working full time for the time being. Hoping to end that soon. Yes we Deffintly need the rain it just sucks having work lined up but not being able to do it. Luckily all of my customers are being very understanding about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was also wondering if you have any one that could work for you part-time on your bigger jobs? I have considered talking to a few guys that work nights at the grocery chain I worked for. To see if they might want part-time work after they get of in the mornings (just for about hours each day). I am kicking the idea around for next season. I would really like to have enough money set aside to make sure I could pay them on time.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a buddy that has his own company slightly smaller then mine and we help each other out quite a bit. he is one of the few people i would let help for right now though. It is hard to find anyone my age that has a work ethic. Its nice when him because he works his tail off on my jobs knowing that i will do the same for him and vice versa.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck, looks like to got some good ambition and great taste in cars...I am trying to hold onto mine too, hopefully business keeps up.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Younger Generation

I know what you mean. My son hates this kind of work, but he has a friend that I had help on week ends, worked hard but had a problem with showing up for work. It is really to bad.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea it gets very frustrating i have another buddy who is one of the hardest workers I've met not most knowledgable but tries but same story if u can get him to show up sober not hungover id hire him tomorrow but he can't consistently do that.

Ended up getting 20 of the 70 accounts i bid on. Guy said he wants to see how i do with those and then we will go from there next year. Not to bad. For right now i am closing my route for the first couple mows to see how i do. Until then i will refer all new maintenance accounts to my buddy who i would imagine we will team up someday anyhow.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you. You say he has you doing 20 of them. Is this for a property managment Co.? I do a few accounts for people that rent their homes out too. This would be a very good gig for you. Good luck.