Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea it's for a Ex girlfriends dad he owns 70 properties
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What hours are you working in your other job? I was lucky when I worked at my job I worked from 2am. to 10:30am Tuesday-Saturday. I could have been way more ambitious but I was 48 years old and we have three kids. It was rough to do 20 account by myself, but now I think doing 40-45 accounts is possible this being my only job now. The only thing is if I have that many accounts on my own I worry about if something was to happen to me man it would be over. So before I get to many more accounts I want to position my self to have help on them. Then I want to shoot for 75 accounts. I think with a couple part time workers it is do-able.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Work those same hours monday-friday but in the summer i am able to work 530am - 2pm. I work at a school and o maintenance on all the buildings. Its not a bad job i just know it is not my potential and would make having a family rough i feel.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The hours I work (grave yard) was horrible hours to raise a family. Going in at 2:00am-2:30am was not to bad, I liked the work but it really was taking a toll on my body. I wish I had done what you are doing 20 years ago, but what can I say 20/20 hind-sight. My wife and I were making a pretty good income and our benefits where very good, But as time went on the company attacked our health care to the point were we no longer made enough money.

I like that the sky is the limit of what you can make out of your Biz. Were as when you are working for a company that big forget it.

I believe if you are ambitious at all. You can make up-wards of $75 G's gross $60 G's after expenses and what ever your net would be after tax burden would be from there. by you self. But you will have to work your tail off every chance you can, but I think if you are good at managing employees and finances you could do even much better. If I was your age I would not hesitate to build up quick. While putting money aside to set the stage that you can just work only as hard as you want to.

I wish I could find the letter that Sam wrote to members on lawns site. It talks about his experience maneging what was a very successful land-scape/lawn maintenance Biz. I will try to find it. It is a good read for any-one that is trying to do what you are.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I have heard slot about that letter would love to read it.
I am on pace to pay my house off within this year as every dime of my "job" goes to it. From then I want to turn it into a rental and build a Morton building house/shop. And eventually build my own house. Houses around me rent for a grand a month and that would be great extra income I believe. I chose not to go the college route knowing I would have to work my tail off and miss out on the whole college party scene. So now I am trying to stay focused and get to where I can retire years before my college buddies and then get to relax. I just hope it pans out for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rent

In my neighborhood rent is going for around $1,200 a month. That is what one of my clients gets for his home. 850 sq. ft. up and down w/2 car garage. I wish I could say our house was almost paid for. Other than medical bills that is all we owe on.

It snow about 8 inches from 5pm. to about mid-night last night. The pavement was warm enough that only I only had to take care of a few accounts. So I only needed to service half of them. Since I can't work I need to get moving on our basement bathroom remodel,
Talk to you later, David
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Landed 2 more yards today after I said no more ha. They are both very close so if worse comes to worse I will drop two of the ones that are farther away. Also going to bid a large retaining wall rebuild that is a year old and already getting washed out. Sounds like no drainage was installed at all. Deffintly sitting down tonight looking st all my numbers and deciding what I need to do job wise. May have to take the plunge but am pretty scared by it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta say one thing about taking the leap. It is hard choice to make. If I wasn't getting my retirement income. (which covers my house payment) I would have waited 5 more years to leave my job. But you are young and probably can handle the riggers of the extra work it will take. There is a lot of work you can do with your aeration's, clean-up work and landscaping you are actively pursuing will help with your capital. I only work on my clients lawns, trying not to chase that kind of work (one time jobs). Not that there is anything wrong with it. I just want to be sure that I can give my clients my best.

The one thing my wife wants me to do is work 3 days a week on mowing and 1 day for the odd jobs. If I can get started at 7 am. it is very possible. (I don't always get going on time). She says that this job should give me more time for us and the things we enjoy in our lives instead of drawing it out for the whole week most of the time. I am going to see how many accounts I have total and go from there. I have 35 as it sits.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Landed another clean up today. Wants aerate overseed detached beds re mulched. It is a high end neighborhood. Going to try to get my trailer lettered up before i do it so it can sit there for the day while i work on his property.

Just need rain to quit so i can get to working. I was looking at numbers seeing how far money wise i am from last year and was getting pissed. Then i looked at all the work i have lined up and would actually be ahead if it wasn't for all this rain so that made me feel better. Now I'm just in a race with time and weather.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Work

I have a few customers that have asked for extra work to start the season off. One has told me that he has set aside $150.00 For this month to do a few things he normally would do. I usually charge an hourly rate plus materials on extras. Before the storm I trimmed his front junipers (I hate Junipers). Then he want his flower beds cleaned out. I think I'll be able to get the front done but the back will need to be pushed into next month. 'Cause with the first mow it will take up the $150.00 he has to spend.

I have a couple clients that want a few things done, but most are just letting me know to put their task on my to do list. As soon as the snow is gone I will be hitting the ground running. All my accounts will need mowing by then. I can't wait. I bought a new mower this season. (well a new used mower) It is one of those Quick 32" hdro walk behinds. It has a stripper kit and brand new catcher. I used it on my commercial accounts first cut a week ago. Man it's a nice mower.