Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

New to the site and to the business!!

Hello, my name is Jay D. Mort and I currently live in Woodward, OK with my wife of 10, almost 11 years and our 4 young children.

We have recently purchased an existing lawn care business here in Woodward and hoping that we can expand and grow the business and dominate Woodward and the surrounding area.

The business had been in business for about 4 years before we bought it in December of 2012, this was basically a part time business for them but we are hoping to turn this into a full time full service lawn care business that takes care of everything lawn related and not just mowing and spraying. We are wanting to do landscaping, sprinkler systems, fencing, etc. including the basic mowing and spraying.

Any advice or "tricks of the trade" would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to lawnsite. Just do the work and do it right. I did and this will be my 13 season which 50% of my customers are from referrals now. Every year I get more and lose a few. I can honestly say that now I can pick and choose what jobs I want and can pass on to others who are trying to start there own. Good Luck and buy the "best" equipment when you need it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the forum, you should be able to find just about any "trick" you can imagine from one person or another here.

Good Luck
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the forum!

Property Grounds Maintenance
Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Jay. Since you are starting with an existing clientele (assuming that the business you bought has clients, or it's not actually a business..lol), the most profitable thing you can do is to focus on everything near the clients you have to tighten your routes up. The less travel, load and unload time you have, the more productive and profitable you will be.
The same idea goes for additional services for your existing clients. The more you can do while you are on property the better off you'll be..so get busy asking what they'd like you to offer this year. It's always a lot easier to sell a solution to what they ask for then convince them you have a solution for a problem they don't know about.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
Welcome Jay. Since you are starting with an existing clientele (assuming that the business you bought has clients, or it's not actually a business..lol), the most profitable thing you can do is to focus on everything near the clients you have to tighten your routes up. The less travel, load and unload time you have, the more productive and profitable you will be.
The same idea goes for additional services for your existing clients. The more you can do while you are on property the better off you'll be..so get busy asking what they'd like you to offer this year. It's always a lot easier to sell a solution to what they ask for then convince them you have a solution for a problem they don't know about.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definatley use it!!!
Posted via Mobile Device