Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What about the v ride frames? I heard several guys grumbling about them breaking, and they are heavier than this mower. Same with the toro grand stand. Heavy stuff falling apart or bending.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
What about the v ride frames? I heard several guys grumbling about them breaking, and they are heavier than this mower. Same with the toro grand stand. Heavy stuff falling apart or bending.
Posted via Mobile Device
Guessing the vride deal was on 52" decks. Operator weight, leverage of the rider/machine balance made it hard to estimate. On a w/b I'm not worried about the frame if the welds are good. The deck lift I think is poor location/leverage for a operator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
it wont fall apart. The old ones were just like those and they lasted 20+ years. I had seen guys SLAM those decks into tree stumps and not even bend them.

I have to imagine they are going to be better built then a 20 year old mower anyways.

My question is why couldnt they have made a stamped lighter weight velocity deck though?
i actually remember my late 80s, early 90s decks clumping less than the velocitys ? ,so hoping for a demo
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

And why does a walkbehind have to cost 7-8000 ?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Man some of these comments on Scag being to heavy, a stamped velocity deck and the velocity clumping are quite interesting to say the least. I normally respect others opinions but these are a stretch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 03-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i personally run 9 older walkbhinds with the flat front decks(36-72'') and prefer them over the 3 velocity 52'' that we run. They definately dont clump like the velocity does in my area, plus you can mow in the rain and get a even cut if you want. The sme goes to the old turf tigers that we have also.

I have demoed the new walkbehind a few weeks ago in mayville, and it really isnt that bad of a mower. I dont like the hadle setup as it was harder to control on the hills that were alttile wet. But it was lighter than my swzu's.
I do wish they would build a 61'' wlkbehind though, but for now im stuck building my own.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We have run Scags for over 15 years, from the original deck, the advantage deck and the velocity. The Velocity deck is what makes Scag a Scag. Its the most copied deck in the industry for a reason. It has remained unchanged since 2006 for good reason. Its arguably the most versitile deck in the industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
We have run Scags for over 15 years, from the original deck, the advantage deck and the velocity. The Velocity deck is what makes Scag a Scag. Its the most copied deck in the industry for a reason. It has remained unchanged since 2006 for good reason. Its arguably the most versitile deck in the industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
We got several Scag units one being a 2 year old TT with the super deck. I normally don't ever do any side discharge but got into some last year and I just don't see any advantage over my Tiber cubs with 61' or 48". All of them was giving a bad cut in tall weedy stuff no silver bullet deck. It must be an up north thing.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The controls look nice, and the he deck looks like the one on my old fixed deck hydro Scag, wich has been very good to me, very good stripes and clipping dispersal. Im excited to see one in person, and hopefully scrape up the cash for one.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to see it in person, but I LOVE that style deck! That ROUND trim side allows for EXCELLENT trimmability. I have the previous version classic deck that is more straight on the front corner. They don't cut all that great, but with todays real nice hi-lift blades, this deck can be made to cut very well at a walking pace. No need for a long non trimmablity friendly fast cutting deck on on a mower designed to be walked behind.

SCAG really does need to get back to basics with a COMPACT, shorter, lighter, walkbehind. My deck is so light that I had to add 1/2" thick plate steel to the leading edge as it would pop wheelies just letting the pistol (please keep these) grips go.

Go back to basics SCAG!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980