Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GA Bermuda first mow?

When do you guys in Georgia plan on cutting the bermuda the first time this year. Mine is still totally dormant, and being my second year of having bermuda i didnt know when the first mow should be. I know you cut it very low the first time not sure when to though.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to wait for April to do mine - probably around April 12th -- but if we get some good weather it may be sooner - but still closer to April. cut it low and bag the clippings.....
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
When do you guys in Georgia plan on cutting the bermuda the first time this year. Mine is still totally dormant, and being my second year of having bermuda i didnt know when the first mow should be. I know you cut it very low the first time not sure when to though.
Mowing or scalping? Usually you would scalp it down and BAG it so the clippings don't get scattered everywhere and start to create too much thatch. I've scalped it down to the dirt before removing all of the previous year's growth and it comes back great.

Don't do this if you haven't done a pre-m app on it as all that sunlight and heat would make the weeds have a big party.

It depends on if you have a huge yard. I would do a little starting now and lower the deck down more and more each week or if you have a small yard and can do it all at once go for it.

After that if it's warm enough in a few weeks it should be greening up and should need mowing.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually start around the beginning to middle of April... depends on the weather. It was more the beginning of April last year because we had a very warm early spring.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Im in atlanta ga area ( next to ga dome ) and I see a few little green blades in my bermuda lawn.. which aren't weeds.. but my bermuda is healthy and thick and has been established and properly fertilized & maintained for about 3 years now. Our weather here has been fairly mild as you other Ga folks may know. The trees are in beginning to bloom and my knockout rose bushes have started to grow little leaves and buds. Im still going to wait for early to mid april though...
Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
Im in atlanta ga area ( next to ga dome ) and I see a few little green blades in my bermuda lawn.. which aren't weeds.. but my bermuda is healthy and thick and has been established and properly fertilized & maintained for about 3 years now. Our weather here has been fairly mild as you other Ga folks may know. The trees are in beginning to bloom and my knockout rose bushes have started to grow little leaves and buds. Im still going to wait for early to mid april though...
Ricsin,

I have an account not too far from you in the Fountain Park neighborhood off of MLK and Fountain drive. Small world.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
Ahhh... yes I've got knockout pruning on the list of things to do this weekend at my house.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got my mower blades sharpened yesterday but I am still waiting till the first weekend of April to do my first mow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

is anyone else in the Atlanta Ga area starting to see their bermuda grass beginning to "green up"...... its been fairly warm the last month.. i saw a lot of the blades turning green when i was doing some yard work this weekend.. im tempted to do a 1st cut this weekend or next...........( but maybe im just too anxious!!)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We started back mowing this week. Bermuda and zoysia are showing signs of life.
Posted via Mobile Device